Front is toast/Rear pretty good

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought the rear would wear out faster. Any reason why my front tire has more wear than the rear tire?

BT020 - both have 8,200 miles on them

Front - maybe 1,000 miles left
Rear - looks like I could get 3 to 4k miles

I run 34psi front/39psi rear in summer
28 psi front/34psi rear in cold months (35 to 45 degrees F)

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
How do you ride ?
Not a funny question,but that can make a big difference.
I rag the tits off of mine,wheelies,dragging from the lights etc and it canes the rear a hell of a lot more than the front.I've gone through three rears and I reckon I've still got a good 1000 miles left in the front ;)

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
How do I ride? I think pretty conservatively. I do enjoy leaning it over just a little in turns but not what I consider aggressive. And I am really easy on the brakes making very few panic stops and using engine braking.

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm,strange one then.
It's the nature of bikes to go through rears quicker than fronts.Same as a rear wheel drive car,it's all down to weight transfer and driven wheels.
No doubt someone will have a clue :thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had OEM BT-020' and the front cupped really fast. I lost the back tire early in it's life to a screw. I chalked the cupping up to the tread design lending itself to that type of wear. Never had that type of wear with BT-021s or BT-016s on the same bike.

616ah

Reaction score
Visit site
I had OEM BT-020' and the front cupped really fast. I lost the back tire early in it's life to a screw. I chalked the cupping up to the tread design lending itself to that type of wear. Never had that type of wear with BT-021s or BT-016s on the same bike.

+1 to that. My OEM BT020 Front developed a shake and cupping early on too. BT021 fixed all that, however that was after 18000KMs on the stock front tire. Changed it because the rubber just didn't have the grip. Changed the rear3000kms earlier because there was no tread...

Odd - perhapse you are civil at stops, but turn animal in the corners? :D

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty much what Motogiro said about his. My rear OEM went south at 840 miles with a big screw in it. Other than that it appears that my rear is going to outlast my OEM front by eons! My front is wearing down really fast, (uniform, but fast). Although I have experimented with all different "recommended" tyre pressures, my front is not going to go near the distance of the rear. I have never (intentionally) wheelied, I do not do burn-outs, nor do I slide my tyres. I just drive extremely fast and I do my share of hard cornering. I have seen no wear or wear patterns whatsoever on either of my rear tyres.
Since Yamaha puts 51% of the bike's weight on the front wheel, I personally wonder if I am just asking to much of this smaller OEM tyre in the corners? Just a thought....

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
That is a weird one for sure. The only other things I can think of are:

1) Is it possible that the forks are slightly twisted or one leg is slightly higher than the other? This would certainly make it wear faster but would probably not explain a uniform wear pattern like you stated earlier.

2) I know of people who have worn through some rear tires by giving it too much juice and generally being to aggressive before the tire was warmed up. This was obvious by the amount of rubber underneath the tail without doing a burnout. I don't know how this would affect the front tire though especially if your rear is ok.

Sorry I'm just spewing ideas out but I hope someone can help you