Bike jerks forward when shifting to first

JJFRANKIS

Reaction score
Visit site
When I am at a complete stop with it in neutral and then down shift into first, my bike jerks forward. It does not actually roll the tires forward, just the body rocks forward and then returns. Does any one know why it does this? My bike is a 2006 w/ 1800 miles.

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
completely normal, also completely annoying. Its the bikes, as far as I am concerned, biggest annoyance.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Every bike i have ever has has done that, it is because the transmision engages into gear and the gears have to align themselves even though the clutch is in. Bottom line though is that it is completely normal.

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
I get the same when I start the engine with the first gear selected. The clutch is disengaged but as soon as I hit the start button, the bike kicks.

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
I also want to say thats normal too. I've got a 06 with 1012 miles on it and it kicks everytime I shift into first.

H

HavBlue

I guess I'm the outcast hear. Of the three street bikes I own not one of them does this once they are warmed up and that includes my FZ6. The Harley doesn't do it at all. The Roadstar does it when cold as does the FZ6 but after they are warmed up not even a hint of lurching occurs. When cold the oil is thicker and because motorcycle clutches are more like the clutch packs in an automatic they tend to drag which is why the rear wheel will rotate while fired on the center stand when cold. Much of the lurching can often be attributed to a lack of throw in the release of the clutch. If the clutch arm isn't rotating enough the clutch pack will not completely release and the bike will lurch.

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm happy to hear that this is normal:thumbup:

yeah, I wish there was a fix for the clunky first gear shift though....

I read an article (heresy) that says the GSXR shifts much nicer than the FZ and said it was a better buy (/heresy) While the new GSXR looks pretty nice, its not the same kind of bike. And nothing beats the molded frame s on the FZ.....but still I cant buy but I might test drive one just to see

Jason Tikusis

Reaction score
Visit site
It is kinda normal but if it pisses you off, Have the fiber plates of the clutch soaked in oil overnight. Sometimes at the factory they dont get a sufficient soak. and install the rounded outside edge of the steel plates inward. I promise it will be night and day.

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
It is annoying I must say. Partly, I think an idle speed of 1250-1350 is to blame, but that also makes for easier take offs. I only had that issue with my Ninja 500 when it was cold.

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually think this is a good indicator that your properly in first gear. And I always shift into neutral at a stop. If cars come up behind I put it in first just incase I need a quick getaway from a soccer mom on the mobile who has better things to do than pay attention.

H

HavBlue

completely normal, also completely annoying. Its the bikes, as far as I am concerned, biggest annoyance.

If the FZ6 is annoying to you try a 1200 Sortster or the Yamaha Roadstar. They're both far worse.