Skyline Drive, VA

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all, I'm in Annapolis Maryland and was thinking about taking a trip to Skyline Drive, VA for some riding/camping. I've never been there on a motorcycle but am fairly familiar with the area as I've camped there multiple times with the truck. A few questions for those please who may have made this trip...

1. As the place is HUGE, what's the best place to go? Can't really remember where I've been there before as it has been so long. Does anyone have any preferences, and what's the reasoning?

2. What's the best way to get there from Maryland? I'm not a fan of sitting on the highway like 66 for too long, so any route that's off the beaten path a little bit would be preferable. I also know there are multiple entrances, and am not sure which one to take.

3. Any other recomendations in general, like tips for the travel and stay keeping the bike in mind, would be awesome please.

Gracias!! :D

Craig

FrankieOC82

Reaction score
Visit site
Skyline Drive is an amazing motorcycle road! I was actually right near there recently, but was on Rt 211 (another awesome road :D ) and didn't hit skyline this time. Great riding out there, though!!

I live in Manassas, so I've taken Rt 55 before. It starts around here and takes you most of the way in. Nice scenery there, too.

If you're coming from farther north though, I think Rt. 50 and Rt. 17 get you just north of Sklyline, and then you can take 340 down. I'm pretty sure that gets you there.

Last time I went camping in that area, saw a guy with a dual sport BMW, a one-man tent and extra clothes who had come halfway across the country that way! Must've been a killer trip, thought that was pretty damn cool!

I hope that helps a little! Hope you have a great camping trip!

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have heard the ride is amazing! I do see that the speed limit is 35 though... already fighting a nasty ticket, how are the cops out there? Are there usually speed traps or anything like that? Not looking to go nuts but would be nice to wind 'er up here and there if there are stretches of the road that are more desolate than others.

ArmyDocInTraining

Reaction score
Visit site
Skyline is an awesome ride. I have ridden and camped there several times in the past few years. If you take a look at the map on their website you can see all the places to stay ahead of time. No particular recommendation as to where to camp - much of that depends on how long you are staying/planning to ride. Two of my friends and I rode all of skyline and blue ridge (except for the closed section) this past May and just threw up a tent when we felt like stopping and chilling for the night (the nearest campsite that is). Have fun!

Last edited: