The Ditch Of Evilness

Anesi

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone

Last friday, I learned an important lesson the hard way: Never look into The Dich Of Evilness.

Just picked up my almost new beautiful black FZ6-N S2 on wednesday last week, and have been riding around 500 km on it. Being a new rider, I do my best to alwasy ride within my limits, and not push it. However, this friday I learned that even so, the wrong turn may throw even a cautious rider off his feet (or in this case, his bike).

I was riding with my friend and girlfriend on friday after work. My girl was riding with my friend on his beutiful 03 Fireblade (the reason being more power and more experience to handle two persons). We do about 25 km of twists in a moderate pace. My friend was taking it easy, giving me plenty of room to stay within my comfortzone, and I was doing well I thought.

This one left turn came up, slightly down hill but nice and wide. My friend and girlfriend pulled through in great style, however as I approached the turn, I realized that there was alot of small rocks and gravel in the outer part of the turn. At the same time a learned that the road was banked slightly in the opposite direction as I had expected, outwards. At this time I basically lost it, and desided that there was no way I could make this turn. So what to do? Option A was to try and make the turn, with the very real possibillity of having the bike skit out from under me and we'd both hit the ditch (which was full of high grass) sideways... not really the ideal solution I thought. Option B was to pull the bike up and hit the brakes, with the possibility of running out of road and hit the ditch still rolling.

I ended up desiding on option B, and hit the brakes, both front and back as hard as I could - incredibly remembering my instructors warnings about tyre-lock, so gave it the most I thought I could without locking up the tires. As I hit the gravel part of the ditch approaching the long grass (probably going about 20-25 km pr. hour) I knew this was going to hurt my bike. I hit the gras, the bike made a few bounces, which threw me off. I got up as fast as I could, remembering something about bikes not being build to lay down, and picked it up.

What a mess. The round cover on the right of the engine (what's it called by the way?) was severely scratched, the tank had some slight scratches, the brake pedal was bent outwards and it had grass and dirt all over. The worst thing though was that the steering was messed up. The handlebar was slightly bent on the right side, and the forks had twisted a bit so the front wheel and forks was'nt aligned.

I was crushed. My pretty new bike with not a scratch or dent on it was a complete mess little over a week after I picked her up :spank: As for myself, I am completely fine. Besides ego and selfesteem scattered all over the place, all I suffered was small limp from when the footrest nailed my right lower leg, so will be walking funny for a few days.

Lucky for me, the steering was fixable. My instructor was able to fix the wheel alignment, after I had the bike towed to his shop. So now the only major thing is the handlebar being a little awkward, but should be usable till I can get it replaced. What remains are the nasty scratches and a severely bruised confidence. So, the next day I went out with my friend again, and we took a 150km ride. Got plenty of twists in and worked on building my confidence and practising my cornering and turn-evaluation skills. Having him laying the line really helped I think. It was a great ride. :thumbup:

So what to learn from this? Well, be sure to slow plenty down before the turn, and focus into the turn and not into the ditch whith all the evilness lurking. Im curious though to hear som thoughts on how I handled this. I suppose there were a chance that i could have made the turn, but what if I did not? :eek:

- Sorry for the wordy post, but really have given this a lot of thought.

(Seriously thought about posting this in Hall Of Shame, because of my first thread on the forum being a crashreport :( )

Last edited:

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
1st, Glad your ok!

Just a thought, if the bike in front of you made it through two up with no problems, what really made you think you couldn't?

Did you panic a little, after seeing the debris in the road? Stay the line unless you know you can't make it for sure. Also thinking could you have followed your friends line?

To stand it up and brake is a basic avoidance measure, but it assumes you have a path around the obstacle, in this case I think you may have fixated a little too much.

Either way you learned a valuable lesson...

Stay safe and keep practicing.

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you're OK, apart from your leg and I think your pride. pleased to hear you got back out again and all went well. :thumbup:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
lol

dont worry man

we've all been there. school of hard knocks is the school you register in after you take your rider training course. everybody who is actually learning how to ride will drop their bike at some point. the fact you were going slow when it happened and not in way over your head doing a quicker pace that could cause genuine injury is a good thing.

i fell 2 times in my first season, then once in my 2nd season, and I am up to 3 times this season. I am above the average but have been trying to learn how to actually ride and always account for worst case scenario so never push it in a situation i cant predict or cant escape from with minimal injury.

P.S. do a track day. do a racing performance course for beginners. it will expand your understanding of the machine between your legs. the bike, not the other thing.

dont bother replacing the plastics and stuff just yet. you'll probably scuff them up a bit more yet. this is why people buy junkers as their first bike. i didnt. neither did you. ah well. whats done is done.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're ok.

Always look where you are going - not being funny there. If you look through a corner to where you want to go, you will naturally ride there. If you are watching the ditch, you will steer the bike in that direction.

Take it easy and don't ride above your capabilities.

You weren't badly hurt, so I'm assuming you were fully geared up?

Good luck - there is a thread here about what book has helped your riding - check it out and maybe read one. Helped me :thumbup:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/esse...have-helped-you-ride-better-3.html#post330616

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a plain case of panic caused by the slippery looking in stuff on the road in front of you, then target fixation....

you can ride through the pebbles on the road, just try and keep the bike as upright as possible while still turning...dont give it a handful of throttle, and you should be right...

As Defy said, Turn!!!!

Glad your ok, pity about your bikes rash...that can be fixed.

:thumbup:

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you're OK, and that you aren't giving up on the sport! You're doing the right thing by getting right back in the saddle.

This sounds a LOT like what happened to me on my last off. I was going around a corner and saw that the road had been washed out and there was definitely some gravel in the road. I, too, was riding with a more experienced friend, and he went through the same corner just fine. I took the same option as you, only I DID have some room off the side of the road that I thought I could make it through OK without having to drop the bike.

My plan was to straighten the bike up and try to apply both brakes while, hopefully, riding a bit off the road and coming to a stop off the road. What actually happened, though, was that I gave it too much brake for the gravel to cope with, locked up one of the wheels (not sure which) and went into a lowside.

I've only done about 4000 miles on my bike, but I'm still eager to learn things from more experienced users. (especially from the folks on this forum :bow:)

I'm seeing that the general consensus, even though there's some gravel in the road, would be to look though the turn and keep focused on riding through it smoothly. Is that OK, even with a patch of gravel in the road?

I guess I have a small fear of being leaned over in a turn and hitting a patch of gravel that causes the front or rear wheel to lose traction and go down. Obviously, I ended up going down anyway(as well as the OP), but I would like some more feedback as to what the best thing to do in this particular case would be.

Do I have an irrational fear of gravel? Are the tires more sticky than I think they are and can handle a small patch of gravel while leaned over without losing traction?

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This sounds a LOT like what happened to me on my last off. I was going around a corner and saw that the road had been washed out and there was definitely some gravel in the road. I took the same option as you, only I DID have some room off the side of the road that I thought I could make it through OK without having to drop the bike.

My plan was to straighten the bike up and try to apply both brakes while, hopefully, riding a bit off the road and coming to a stop off the road. What actually happened, though, was that I gave it too much brake for the gravel to cope with, locked up one of the wheels (not sure which) and went into a lowside.

I've only done about 4000 miles on my bike, but I'm still eager to learn things from more experienced users. (especially from the folks on this forum :bow:)

I'm seeing that the general consensus, even though there's some gravel in the road, would be to look though the turn and keep focused on riding through it smoothly. Is that OK, even with a patch of gravel in the road?

I guess I have a small fear of being leaned over in a turn and hitting a patch of gravel that causes the front or rear wheel to lose traction and go down. Obviously, I ended up going down anyway(as well as the OP), but I would like some more feedback as to what the best thing to do in this particular case would be.

Do I have an irrational fear of gravel? Are the tires more sticky than I think they are and can handle a small patch of gravel while leaned over without losing traction?

Sometimes a fear of gravel...or more specifically, a heightened fear of gravel, is a confidence thing....you need to have faith in your bike, and tryes, if you dont, you see gravel and tighten up, both mentally and psychically, which then, in turn, makes an accident more probable, cause you to panic, and can make you do something you dont need to, to avoid "possible" trouble...instead creating trouble for yourself...

When your in good riding form, you tend to plough straight through pebbles, doing what's required to remain safe without even thinking about it...

When you are nervous, and wobbling along....$hit happens!

:eek:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Lots of good advise for you, try to look where you want to go and not always where you are going. But things do happen.

I have to say I really liked the title of your thread and we all hate the Ditch of Evilness!

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
#1. Glad that you're ok, and that your bike is too.

#2. As a new(er) rider, you should be leading. Have your friend (who is more experienced) follow you, at your pace. This does two things: It allows you to really ride within your limit, and you don't feel pressured to 'keep' up with your friend. Even if he thinks he's riding 'nice and easy', for you as a new rider, that may not be the case.

#3. When you start into the twisties, abandon the staggered riding formation. Fall back a little to give yourself some room, and use all of your lane. That is after all what it's there for. It sounds like you may have been in the outside half of the lane, and got tense about some of the debris usually found there.

Anyways. Ego's and Pride can be fixed with solid riding. As Kazza said, lots of good book references out there, and Lonesoldier made a good point about maybe doing a track day as well.

Good luck, and keep the rubber side down :D

Anesi

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone, thanks for all the replies. It really gave alot of insights, and alot to think about.

Oldfast007: "Just a thought, if the bike in front of you made it through two up with no problems, what really made you think you couldn't?"
This I have been asking myself about, and i think you are right. The only answer is that I must have panicked a bit and pointed my focus on avoiding the debris instead of steering through the turn. Caught my self doing it a couple of times the day after, and is definitely something i will have to work on. Thanks :thumbup:

Lonesoldier84: It actually helps a bit to know that others have made this kind of mistake aswell. Thank you for sharing. About the track days. That have been part of my plan even before getting my license. It seems thought that most courses here are either full or closed for the season, so seems like I'll have to wait till spring. Can't wait, should a great learning experience - not to mention a bunch of fun :D

Kazza: "You weren't badly hurt, so I'm assuming you were fully geared up?"
Yup, I always wear (well, always being only the past 2 weeks anyway :rolleyes:) the full gear, even for the small 5k to work. My friend has made sure to educate me as to the risks, and my mother in law being a doctor has painted some colorfull pictures :eek: I'll be sure to check out the thread on books :) thanks.

Wolfman: "When you are nervous, and wobbling along....$hit happens!" - yup, right on the money. I got nervous aswell.

Red Wazp: Hehe, glad you liked it. Actually caught my self mumbling "evil ditch" while clearning grass and dirt off the bike, so figured why not use it to name the thread ;)

wolfe1down: i never considered that I should lead. Seemed natural to let my my friend lead, as he knows the roads and could lay the line for me to follow. I'll definitly suggest we switch on the next ride (wich will probably be in about two months!... darn weather here). Thank your for pointing that out :) About the pressure thing, I never considered it a problem, but I see your point. Will be sure to stay observant on the issue on the next ride :)

Thanks everybody for your super input. I already feel a little better about the whole thing :thumbup: now it just need to clear up, so I can get out and get some practice in. Can't wait :D

See you in the forums

/Anesi