Gauley Mountain, Fayette Co, WV

FZ6_WVU

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Visit site
So, had a plan of riding some mountain roads yesterday and I had got creative and mounted a camera on my bike to see if I could get some video.

Well, me and a friend rode over to Fayette County to hang out with a friend and ride some twisties on the mountains around Hawks Nest WV. About 20 miles from where we were to meet up, it started raining. So, 20 miles in the rain, we finally meet up with Bill and decide to sit out the rain in a little bar about 5 miles away. So, we hang in Chimney Corner from about 2 to 4:30 waiting for the rain to stop and the roads to dry a little. Around 4:30, the roads were dry enough to have a little fun on the mountain. Road over Hawks Nest to Fayetteville and then headed home.

On the way home, the roads dried out for the most part and I was able to get the following video. (If I link to you tube correctly)

You can tell from the video it was my first and my home made mounting system. I am honestly surprised it turned out as well as it did!!

At the end, with about 2 minutes to go you will see me get loose in a corner. I missed a shift.... Sucked...

Thanks.

Last edited:

FZ6_WVU

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Visit site
As you can tell.. I can't figure out how to get the You Tube linked...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbrop8G0_jQ]YouTube - HawksNest082110[/ame]

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i forgot my gopro hd camera yesterday :(

the last time i took the car through gauley mountain/kanawha falls area about a month ago the road needed repaved big time. have they fixed it up any?

Skrapiron

Mr. Know-It-All
Reaction score
Visit site
That's funny.... I JUST drove that stretch of road last Wednesday.... I was in Fayetteville and had to get to Nitro, but had no cash for the toll road, so I took the midland trail..... WOW! What a road. From US19 to Hawksnest is AWESOME and has become a must ride road for me!:rockon:

FZ6_WVU

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought the road was in great conditions, except for being wet. Some of the new lines were slick when we first took out after the rain, but as long as you didn't cross them, it was good. Route 16 from Fayetteville to RT 60 had a few patched spots, but nothing that bad.

We try to ride around hawks nest a couple of times a year. On a good day it is fun as hell. This was not a good day, just a fair day.