Uploading Google Maps to Garmin GPS

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A friend of mine found this cool website that helps upload Google maps to Garmin GPS. It's called TakItWithMe.

If you notice, Google has an option to "send" a map to your GPS, but it only sends the destination address, not the beginning address or any waypoints. It also will not do coordinates - just addresses :spank:.

1. Select all of your destinations or waypoints in Google.
2. Click "get directions". Save in MyMaps
2a (optional). Rename all of your waypoints to something you'll remember. Google names them something random, which can make it hard to locate them later in your GPS. I name them Waypoint 1, Waypoint 2, etc, to make entering the destinations easier. I delete these when I get home.
3. Click "link" and copy the link
4. Go to TakItWithMe and paste the link, then click "load MyMap"
5. Click "Conversion Options" and set the parameters how you would like them. I deselect everything except waypoints in point options. Sometimes if you have the wrong thing selected, it will take it upon itself to give you a million waypoints.
6. Click "Upload to Garmin GPS"

Voila! Your waypoints are now in your GPS! This website is also useful for uploading existing GPX files too, in case you have made one with another application or need to upload an archived one.

I know the site can do routes too, but my GPS doesn't handle routes, so I'm not familiar with how to do that.

Enjoy!
Travis

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the tip Travis this could be a handy app for those with Garmins that can't handle routes :thumbup:.

I generally use the Tyre program to convert KML files to Gpx, but my garmin 500 takes routes, and I generally use the garmin mapsource software to plan them.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the tip Travis this could be a handy app for those with Garmins that can't handle routes :thumbup:.

I generally use the Tyre program to convert KML files to Gpx, but my garmin 500 takes routes, and I generally use the garmin mapsource software to plan them.

Good to know. I'm thinking about getting a Garmin that supports routes - do you think the garmin mapsource software is easier to use than planning in Google and uploading via Takitwithme? Also, is there a fee for the mapsource software?

Thanks

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good to know. I'm thinking about getting a Garmin that supports routes - do you think the garmin mapsource software is easier to use than planning in Google and uploading via Takitwithme? Also, is there a fee for the mapsource software?

Thanks

The mapsource software took a bit of getting used to (it's not very intuitive) but now I know it better it's way better than google, although I sometimes use Tyre to get a google style overview.
The route is dependant on the settings on your GPS, with mapsource I can set the same settings and it will take the same route (whereas Tyre sometimes varies a bit (based on google and tomtom).
The mapsource program came with my Garmin, but I have heard of people with garmin loaded as a mobile phone application who also purchased mapsource but I have no idea how much it cost.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A couple of the features that spring to mind are reverse direction, link routes, and duplicate routes, which is handy for checking your original route against the one you just altered.

Mr_McBride

The Cartographer
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to use GoogleMaps and Takitwithme, but I just ran into too many issues ( some routing errors and some with gpx files that wouldn't import ).

I finally moved to MapQuest and I've been very happy ever since. If you have the Garmin Communicator plugin you can send routes from MQ directly to your gps.

The only issue I've run into is that sometimes the gpx will get saved with the extension GPX ( all capital letters ) and my Nuvi won't import it until I rename the file with gpx ( lower case ). Then it works great.

Another thing I like about MQ is that I create route stops at every turn in my routes. These show up as lettered stars in MQ, but show up as flags in the gps. Very handy to see when a road change is coming up.

Here is a map I created in MQ
Mt Mitchell Playground