How to have nice looking headers.

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,
Every time I see an FZ6 I think that it’s one of the best looking bikes out there, almost everything is nice but the headers, they just turn ugly so quick and even if you clean them every week, they just don’t look like the rest of the bike.
After some research in how to clean them, wrap them or paint them, I thinking about taking them to a ceramic coating place.
The only place close to my home is like one hour away, I sold my car and the bike is my only vehicle at the moment so bringing the headers off the bike is kind of hard. They charge $250.00 USD. I don’t think is that expensive but wait, my headers are not 100% new so the shop can’t warranty the work at all.
I asked Geoff for some help since his bike is like the “Sofia Vergara” of the bikes and his headers are black.
Quoting Geoff:
“I actually had dropped mine off at a ceramic coating shop for about a week and I called them and they said they wouldn't be able to get to it for another 2 weeks so I said "Fu** that" and decided to do it my own way. I used a (rattle) Heat Resistant Paint 2000 degrees”
“I also painted my engine with this stuff, my stock engine is not black, its silver. I put a lot of work into, but worth it”
So even knowing that my skills for mechanics are not existent and my lack of a formal working space and tools, I decided to go for it.

List of things I used.
1.-One can of VHT very high temperature flame proof, silica ceramic header primer.
2.- One can of VHT very high temperature flame proof, silica ceramic header paint. They have different colors, I liked the “flat aluminum” to match the pipes.
3.-Waterproof sandpaper. I used 220 extra fine.
4.- Not necessary but will save you so much time on the joints, I bought one solid fill wire end brush and one flared wire end brush, together with a drill made it easier.
5.-For me a 12 pack of good beer is enough, you can substitute with your own fix, Rum, Vodka, Whiskey, hot tea, organic fresh squeezed carrot juice or a grande iced caramel macchiato half skim milk half whole milk one pump of classic half packet of pure sugar half of splenda 1 scoop of soy whipped in a cup with no sleeves
Here are some pictures of the before, process and after

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
How to have nice looking headers. second part

After removing the headers, I cleaned them and started sanding by hand on the kitchen counter.
I finished with help from my little buddies and the headers looked like new.
I made sure no dust, oil or wax remained on them so the primer will do its job correctly, I did it by cleaning them in the shower with really hot water and dish soap.
I covered the holes on the bike with blue painting tape.
I applied two coats of primer on the tips and one coat of paint only on the tips and each one within 10 minutes.
After they were dry, I hanged them on the basement garage, as close to the light as I could and started the priming process.

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
How to have nice looking headers. third part

View attachment 30194After the tips dried out, I fixed the metal brackets on the tips by using the same blue tape, now the rest of the headers free to be painted.
I did 2 coats of primer each one dried for 10 minutes, then applied two coats of the paint also waiting 10 minutes between each one.
I waited 3 hours to dry after the last coat of paint, took the blue tape off and was ready to cure the paint, I thought that curing the headers on the bike was the best idea but the paint still really soft and will get scratched really easy, plus as I said earlier, my mechanics and tools would definitely scratch the perfectly looking headers so, I decided to take them back to my place and bake them (literally)
250 Fahrenheit for 30 minutes then let rest for 30 minutes, I didn’t know if this 30 minutes resting time had to be out of the oven or not, I tried to take them off but they were hot and hard to manipulate since they barely fit on the oven so, I left the door open and the oven off for the resting times. 400 Fahrenheit for 30 min and rest other 30. Finally 600 Fahrenheit for 30 min, rest other 30 al least, you are done.
My oven’s max temp is 550 so I left them for 35 minutes instead of 30.

Last edited:

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
How to have nice looking headers. Final

I am really pleased with the results, they look awesome and this makes the bike even more amazingly good looking. The color matched the pipes pretty well.
I spent something around $30.00 USD plus beer and snacks, if they decide to go ugly again I won’t cry but hope they last for long time, otherwise I will ceramic coat them.
I did a 30 mile quick ride yesterday and so far they still look good. :rockon:

What do you guys/gals think?

rchamberlain

Reaction score
www.rogerchamberlain.com
Re: How to have nice looking headers. second part

After removing the headers, I cleaned them and started sanding by hand on the kitchen counter.

and

I made sure no dust, oil or wax remained on them so the primer will do its job correctly, I did it by cleaning them in the shower with really hot water and dish soap.

You sanded them on the kitchen counter and cleaned them in the shower and then baked them in the oven? You must not be married.:D

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site

You sanded them on the kitchen counter and cleaned them in the shower and then baked them in the oven? You must not be married.:D

:rof: I live in a shoe box size apartment, you have to be billionare to have a house wioth garage and/or garden in NYC.
I'm married, my wife is the coolest person in the world and still she was not happy at all, I had to clean, desinfect, clean again, and of curse I have to be extra nice for the next week so she let me keep doing my stuff.

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
Honesty being the best policy,I prefer black headers.

I thought about black, the bike is black, engine is black and the headers will become part of the whole bike.
I may be the only one in this forum and several biker friends who have not or want to replace the original exhaust. I like my bike quiet and like the “shark like” side covers of the original exhaust, I want it to make the whole system look like one long piece.
If the paint doesn’t last, I will ceramic coat them and I think I will do it black and paint the exhaust black too.

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought about black, the bike is black, engine is black and the headers will become part of the whole bike.
I may be the only one in this forum and several biker friends who have not or want to replace the original exhaust. I like my bike quiet and like the “shark like” side covers of the original exhaust, I want it to make the whole system look like one long piece.
If the paint doesn’t last, I will ceramic coat them and I think I will do it black and paint the exhaust black too.

Ceramic is probably the way forward in the long run,but it is mega expensive here.,hat off to you for the graft, nothing better than taking something crappy looking and using a bit of elbow grease to turn it around. :thumbup:

rchamberlain

Reaction score
www.rogerchamberlain.com

:rof: I live in a shoe box size apartment, you have to be billionare to have a house wioth garage and/or garden in NYC.
I'm married, my wife is the coolest person in the world and still she was not happy at all, I had to clean, desinfect, clean again, and of curse I have to be extra nice for the next week so she let me keep doing my stuff.

Your wife gets a big thumbs up from me. :thumbup:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I love the black!
I may be the only one in this forum and several biker friends who have not or want to replace the original exhaust. I like my bike quiet and like the “shark like” side covers of the original exhaust, I want it to make the whole system look like one long piece. Nope, you are not alone pal. I love the standard factory note: Quiet most of the time but really throaty when balling!
My bike is stealth & black. I have grown to love the "gold" that my factory headers have burned into. On the black I think it looks sharp. JMO. Thanks for your post.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
It's been a number of years since I baked my Firebird manifold in the oven, Lol!! My wife still talks about it!

Nice write up, I will do the same only go with charcoal black to match the engine. :thumbup:

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
I have grown to love the "gold" that my factory headers have burned into.

Mine started like blue and gold and I liked that but latter turned like rusted color, they were not rusted just look like rusted. I actually don't mind the rusted color; it was the fact that it was so spotted and uneven.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only crazy one who likes the exhaust note of the factory set up. One of my good friends who rides a CRB900rr told me once "the only time I ride a bike without loud pipes is from the dealer to the shop to installed them"

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
My wife still talks about it!

I know I will be there. :thumbup:

Nice write up, I will do the same only go with charcoal black to match the
engine. :thumbup:

As I mentioned "If the paint doesn’t last, I will ceramic coat them and I think I will do it black and paint the exhaust black too."

if you do paint yours black, think about the covers on the back of the bike.
Here is a pic of Discofrank's painted ones.