For those who listen.....

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
to Mp3 players while they ride I have discovered the greatest ear buds :thumbup: Firstly I broke my Sennhieser headphones , so till I got my tax cheque back i went looking for an interim pair..... I found these little pearlers TDK Bass Boost Earphones (C0810) | Dick Smith Online Store , supreme quality , amazing sound & cheap as chips :thumbup: comes with a 1m cord extension & 3 different sized silicon noise reduction sleeves :rockon: Whack 'em in the ear , slip the helmet on & what do you get ??? Pure uninterupted music , i've found my permanent solution :D

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They look good.

I've got BOSE ones. They are awesome. 3 different size silicon ear pieces.

Very happy - cost about $150 though.

Shinleung

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I have used BOSE in-ear, (the plastic piece always got stuck in the helmet when I take it off)
Sennheier dunno what model,
SHURE SE-210 (best one of mine)
Phillips SHE 9620 (pretty good for it price)
& UE MetroFi 220 (broken not long after I got it)

I used to listen to music very often while I am riding.
For noise isolation, SHURE did the best.
Also you wear it around the ear, so, it go in and out of the helmet easily.

Neither of them last very long because when I wear the take off the helmet, it rubs on the headphone. The cable easily break.
Now I just give up listening to music because of the headphones.

Heard about the SHURE SE 535 that came out not long ago with changeable wire. Very tempted to get a pair.

Last edited:

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to use a set of Sony in ears. I've used the Bose, returned them after a few days.

The most isolating set I've used were JVC cheepo's. They came with foam 'ear plug' type buds. Squish them, put them in your ear and they expand. The phones them selves were a bit muted sounding. So I took the foamies off of the JVC's and installed them on a set of "Skull Candy" phones. Found my perfection.

The Skull Candy phones are small, sound great and with the JVC foam buds (you can buy them separatly) isolate outside. I actually ride with a scorpian pipe and my MP3 player on the lowest volume. Less damage to the ears, great protection from outside wind noise and presure. And they have a sliding bit on the cord that you can slide up to you neck to keep the wires from flapping about and then up to the buds when you take them off to keep the cord from tangling.

They come in colors for those who like that sort of thing.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-Earbuds-S2INCZ-045-Silver-Black/dp/B003HL04H8]Amazon.com: Skullcandy INK'd Earbuds: Electronics[/ame]

Couldn't find the foam buds on their own but the JVC Marshmallow's are only $9 adn come with two sets. cheep enough to toss the phones.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HA-FX34S-Marshmallow-Headphones-Silver/dp/B0012UCYVU/ref=sr_1_22?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1280323934&sr=1-22]Amazon.com: JVC HA-FX34S Marshmallow In-Ear Headphones (Silver): Electronics[/ame]

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
BTW, I use mine on my IPOD/IPHONE but not when I ride. I couldn't concentrate on riding with the music going. I'd much rather sing to myself :D

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
...So I took the foamies off of the JVC's and installed them on a set of "Skull Candy" phones. Found my perfection.

...Couldn't find the foam buds on their own ...

I tried listening to my ipod on a recent trip, using a set of Sony in-ear phones. Not noise cancelling, but with rubber tips for some noise isolation. Results were disappointing for several reasons:
1. noise isolation was not good enough, i.e. allowed too much wind noise. Could not really hear the music over 50 mph if I did not have it at too loud of a volume for low speed.
2. not as good sound isolation as my hearos ear plugs, so higher noise level all around.
3. uneven volume of music from the ipod, with no way to change while on the move. I know you can even out the volume of the music in itunes, but that’s a lot of work. I also wish the ipod could reliably shuffle albums. I like to listen to a whole album, not just random songs. I would not mind random albums. But even though the shuffle option has an “album” setting, it never works for me. Shuffling all songs exacerbates the uneven volume issue.
4. Could not hear my riding mates at stops until I stopped, unzipped jacket, found ipod and pressed pause, pulled off the helmet and took out the phones.
5. I think my riding mates got tired of waiting for me to put the phones back in my ears, start the ipod, put in jacket pocket, adjust the cord etc. before starting out after every stop. (I seem to already take the longest at stops to put on helmet, gloves, etc.)

Even though I had the above issues, I was still interested in solving issues 1 and 2 so I could listen while riding, so after my trip I searched around for noise isolating in-ear phones. I did not find a consensus “magic bullet”. I did find a tutorial on making your own noise isolation tips out of foam ear plugs: basically cut it to length, then flatten it (lengthwise so you end up with a little pancake shaped thing) and “drill” a hole in it with a small tube. Been meaning to try that, perhaps I’ll buy a set of the skull candy phones.

Not sure what to do about issues 3, 4 and 5.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Even though I had the above issues, I was still interested in solving issues 1 and 2 so I could listen while riding, so after my trip I searched around for noise isolating in-ear phones. I did not find a consensus “magic bullet”. I did find a tutorial on making your own noise isolation tips out of foam ear plugs: basically cut it to length, then flatten it (lengthwise so you end up with a little pancake shaped thing) and “drill” a hole in it with a small tube. Been meaning to try that, perhaps I’ll buy a set of the skull candy phones.

Not sure what to do about issues 3, 4 and 5.

The JVC phones are the ones that come with the foam 'ear plug' style buds. I use those buds on the skull candy phones. Start with the 9$ JVC earphones linked above for a cheep test. They may fit on your apple phones and they do fit on the skull candy phones. :) I really like them myself.

As to the stopping and talking, I'll sometimes ride with one earplug and one earbud/phone. Sure it is mono but it keeps one ear free. The other thing I'll do is just pull the cord from the MP3 Player if I need to hear someone and have both in. It seems to be the quickest way as I lock the buttons/volume so it doesn't change on bumps and such.

Skull Candy makes another type that is similar but has a volume control on the cord. I knew a couple people that used them. That was the reason I tried the brand n the first place. Didn't care for it myself. I could never reach it when I wanted it. Others have had success. It is about a foot below the neck line on me so I was always searching for it in my jacket. I ended up taping over it so it wouldn't slide around and change volume randomly.