Security

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the Onguard rotor lock. Easy to put on, easy to take off and it fits under the seat. It also has an orange reminder cable that comes from the lock to the handlebar so I don't forget that the lock is on and screw up my caliper. The key has a light in it so I can see the keyhole in the dark. I paid $37.99 for it at my local bike shop.

E

eric1980ca

Wheel lock

I also use a wheel lock. It provides that little extra sense of security.

-Eric

S

sportrider

I park in the garage but if I'm going somewhere I don't like I have a kryptonite disc lock, just don't try to ride off with it still attached!!!

W

wrightme43

I shoot guns in the backyard. It seems to keep down the hoodlems

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Locked garage with a motion detector and I carry a disklock under the seat...

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the Scorpio alarm (SR-i600) with the perimeter sensor and back up battery. Documentation states 1/2 mile two way communication between the remote and the bike alarm but that depends on what is between you and the bike.

It also has a shock and tilt sensor. I've tested the shock, tilt, ignition, battery backup, and perimeter sensor and they work well. The shock sensor is not sensitive enough for me but the tilt sensor works really well. The perimeter sensor is pretty sensitive to movement around the bike. Ignition triggers the alarm if the alarm is not turned off before starting the bike.

Installation was easy. Would have been easier if I had got the wiring harness. The hardest part for me was identifying the wires (due to my color blindness) (ha, ha).

Even with this alarm, I always try to park in a well lite and busy area. Only problem with the busy area part is that I have my perimeter sensor set fairly high and when people walk by the alarm, it warns them (beeps but does not trigger full alarm if they keep moving away). Of course, I do have the option to arm the alarm without the perimeter sensor being active. This way, the shock, tilt, ignition & battery backup is still active.

The remote I got with the system must be plugged in to recharge. I plan on getting a battery operated remote as a spare.

Sorry for the long response, but security is important and I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So far I just make sure the handlebars are in the locked position when I am at a store or something. At home over night I have it locked in a shed which want keep a thief out. But the noise they will have to make to get to it will cause my dog to go crazy causing me to go investigate. No I want be alone I will have a friend about 4' tall that cares alot of little buddies that will inflict alot of pain. :)

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Who would want to steal a Yamaha? Answer: Same person who saw you leave it. I activate Scorpio, park in a discreet location, often use an alarmed disc lock also. At home, it sleeps in a closed garage. At work, I park in an area (custodial) where there are often personnel in vicinity.

Where are the "Smith & Wesson" posts?

B

bluenova

A locked garage and a disk lock. Mainly for insurance purposes as anyone who wants to steel the bike could easily get passed both. If I owned the garage I would sink an anchor in the floor, but I don't.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bluenova

Ryan T,

Is there a reason why you went for the i600 rather than the i900, there doesn't seem to be a huge difference in price $60?

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For parking away from home or out of sight I use a diclock/screamer, and my steering lock always. The screamer is way loud and can be heard from a long way off.:thumbup:
Cheers
Mike

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have many options for securing the bike. When I am at home I have a kryptonite chain that I use to lock my wifes and my bike together. I figure it will be tougher to put both bikes in the back of a truck rather than each having their own lock. When I commute to work I only use the steering lock. I figure a lock won't keep the ones who really want it from stealing it.

I have debated an alarm system but right now I can't afford the expense.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use cable locks and my steering lock. I cable lock my bike to my girlfriends. I also use plain gray bike covers. That way people don't know what's inside.

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
I keep my bike covered and use a On-Guard disc lock on my front wheel. Saved it from being dragged to far away once. I installed a Talon alarm system afterwards and it works great. Only thing it lacks is a 2way paging for the keychain fob. But I'm rarely far enough away from my bike not to hear it. It's really easy to install plug and play with the install kit. Took me a min to find out what goes where, but I could do it in 5mins now. No drilling or modding needed.