Icbc

Hobbesca

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Seems hard to figure out, does anyone know where in the world i can get an online quote from these chuckleheads.

I am still currently in SK, and even here in backwards SK i can go online and get a quick quote for insurance. Seems not to be the case for BC.

I was paying about 1200 per year for plates here and I am wondering if it is the same in BC.

Any help would be great.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm pretty certain that you can't get online quotes from ICBC.
Your most economical insurance rates will be to get Basic insurance from ICBC (required by law) and then get Collision and Comprehensive privately. There are a couple of private insurers around such as Beacon and Megson-Fitzpatrick. MUCH cheaper.

Hobbesca

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
yes it is looking like it is impossible to get a quote from ICBC, I was just trying to figure out costs for my upcoming move back to BC.

It seems a little odd that backwater SK has an online application that will give you a quote for insurance and yet ICBC doesnt have one.

No matter figure it out when i am out there.

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com
Couple things.

Yes get you basic from ICBC and you collision/comp from Beacon. I insured with Beacon and just wrote off my bike. They insure at "agreed value" where ICBC will give you market value. My bikes with Beacon is 325.00 per year, you have to insure with the for a year, but that is good because it is insured well stored in the winter, if you get a nice day where you want to ride just go to any autoplan (icbc) broker and slap on a permit.

I Insured my basic with ICBC, I paid monthly which you can do with them. I pay about 50 bucks a month, from march/april to Sept.

DO NOT insure comp/collision with ICBC, you will pay through the nose and have crappy coverage!

Motorcycles do not need a BC Provincial inspection which is nice. Cars do however. Some auto-plan agents are idiots and will say you do. Trust me you don't. Motorcycles are exempt from inspections. Download this sound file and listen icbc.wav

Make sure you bring a printout of your insurance history in order to get discounts from icbc. Your motorcycle license should transfer right over to a class 6 if its not a learners and you able to provide more than 2 years of driving experience with either a passenger vehicle or motorcycle

I think you have 30 days to transfer insurance and 90 for license, or the other way around?

Where is BC are you moving to?

Hobbesca

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Couple things.

Yes get you basic from ICBC and you collision/comp from Beacon. I insured with Beacon and just wrote off my bike. They insure at "agreed value" where ICBC will give you market value. My bikes with Beacon is 325.00 per year, you have to insure with the for a year, but that is good because it is insured well stored in the winter, if you get a nice day where you want to ride just go to any autoplan (icbc) broker and slap on a permit.

I Insured my basic with ICBC, I paid monthly which you can do with them. I pay about 50 bucks a month, from march/april to Sept.

DO NOT insure comp/collision with ICBC, you will pay through the nose and have crappy coverage!

Motorcycles do not need a BC Provincial inspection which is nice. Cars do however. Some auto-plan agents are idiots and will say you do. Trust me you don't. Motorcycles are exempt from inspections. Download this sound file and listen icbc.wav

Make sure you bring a printout of your insurance history in order to get discounts from icbc. Your motorcycle license should transfer right over to a class 6 if its not a learners and you able to provide more than 2 years of driving experience with either a passenger vehicle or motorcycle

I think you have 30 days to transfer insurance and 90 for license, or the other way around?

Where is BC are you moving to?

Thanks that helps, and insurance seems cheaper out there than here. I will be getting a bike out there when I move, my bike was smashed (in BC how is that for funny) and when i came back to SK i ended up being out of work.

As for where in BC, that we are unsure of as of yet, being born and raised there I know a few spots that i want to go to, which includes Kamloops where i spent several years as a teenage terror.

Figuring that out this week then we are out of SK, looking forward to no more -35 degree winters. My wife broke the door handle off of her car last year it was so cold :(

Hobbesca

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
37 as my 9 year old daughter says "you are very old daddy !". I went to Norkam for 2 years before moving out to SK to finish grade 12.