Tail of the dragon from new york

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Planning on a trip to deals gap late september and was curious what halfway points are good stops along the way. Im gonna stop halfway and was curious if anyone knew any good hotels around the lexington area. thanks.

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Which Lexington? Thats a common city name. If you are asking about Lexington VA, I could give you a few pointers.

yes, lexington, va. i had 2 places in mind close to main road. one was the Howard Johnson Inn - Lexington Virginia and Days Inn Shenandoah Valley. both are 60 bucks for the night which isnt bad split between 2 people. its just a stopping point so if you can offer any suggestions im all eyes and ears. ;)

pacadermng67

Reaction score
Visit site
I have not stayed at either of those hotels but from what I have heard the HoJo is pretty nice. There is the Red Carpet Inn but that is one very very sketchy hotel and it is worth an extra few bucks to stay at the HoJo. If you are going to eat dinner in Lexington, you will have to ride in from the HoJo or the Days Inn. Lexington has Ruby Tuesdays, Applebees and the VMI cadet favorite Macados. There are a few other decent restaurants in Lexington. I will probably be in Lexington when yall roll through so if you wanted a quick tour of the VMI grounds I could point a few things out. Got any other questions?

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I have not stayed at either of those hotels but from what I have heard the HoJo is pretty nice. There is the Red Carpet Inn but that is one very very sketchy hotel and it is worth an extra few bucks to stay at the HoJo. If you are going to eat dinner in Lexington, you will have to ride in from the HoJo or the Days Inn. Lexington has Ruby Tuesdays, Applebees and the VMI cadet favorite Macados. There are a few other decent restaurants in Lexington. I will probably be in Lexington when yall roll through so if you wanted a quick tour of the VMI grounds I could point a few things out. Got any other questions?

how about a good steak/seafood place in that area? i can go to applebees and the like anytime over here. ;)

pacadermng67

Reaction score
Visit site
Hahah I know, my one recommendation for a pretty nice place, the Southern Inn, evidently burned down last week. I am at home for the summer, but evidently lightning struck the building and a fire caught in the attic. The employees didn't realize it and left for the night and the whole restaurant got burned out. The Palms has some steak and my roommate sometimes gets it when we go there but I personally love their sandwiches, the Hot Brown in particular. This is their website if you wanna take a gander. The Palms Restaurant in Lexington, Virginia I will try and get a hold of my roommate to see if he has any other ideas.

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
just a general question to revive this thread and keeping on subject. It's my intention to ride the entire BRP to see all of the nice scenery it has to offer.
Instead of taking 81 the whole way I can see the BRP runs almost parallel and it can take us exactly where we need to be in Robbinsville. My only question is just exactly how would that be as far as time goes? I dont know what kind of lights there are on the BRP, if its a huge major highway with no lights mostly..............etc ad nauseum. ha

Taking the BRP the whole way southwest starting from the skyline highway seems like the best idea and was looking for any thoughts on that. Thx

gilesc

Reaction score
Visit site
Scenery on BRP is nice but be prepared to add some time to your trip. The speed limit is 45mph all the way and it is enforced by feds. The BRP is part of the Dept of the Interior, not the National Forest. No lights that I know of but I have only ridden from Peaks of Otter to Mabry Mill (I grew up in and still live in the area). You will also find a LOT of other folks on the BRP sightseeing, driving, riding, bicycling, walking, running, etc. There is a substantial likelihood that you will get caught behind slower traffic too, especially when nearing a town or city (like Roanoke).

If I may suggest, and it you can make it to Roanoke, rather than Lexington, you will find better accommodations and restaurants. If you are passing through on Thursday through Sunday I heartily suggest eating at the Homeplace Restaurant. It is just off Rt 311, which is easily accessible from I-81 at the Roanoke College exit (Salem). The food is the very best example of home cooking from the region and run by local folks. Bring an appetite as they will keep bringing it until you say stop (one price, but not a buffet).

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
thanks for the pointers. basically the halfway point is lexington where I already made reservations for just the one night to break up the long trip. from there the BRP kinda starts out. Sunday we start the trek from NY(very early am) then stay in lexington whenever we get there. Wake up Monday and get to Robbinsville whenever we get there. Im not in a rush at all as long as we make it there by monday early evening im hoping. We will be in Robbinsville until Saturday at the moment unless we decide to stay an extra day or so. Ill take a look for that restaurant, thanks.

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
jus wanted to post a few videos I took while on the Blue Ridge Parkway as well as the Cherohala Skyway

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNDiSH2bC54]YouTube - Cherohala Skyway[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9geGKAOopE4]YouTube - Blue Ridge Parkway[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBLRmj05TOc]YouTube - Group[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dksH1ww0LEE]YouTube - Blue Ridge Tunnel[/ame]

I actually have a video of the entire dragon but its too big to put up on you tube sadly (25:00 long! lol)

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
undoubtedly i will go back there for sure to cover the entire b.r.p. Damn weather took a day or 2 away from us. :Flip: