1 day visit to St. Augustine, FL (235 miles) - My first "long" trip!!!

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, reading Wavex's (4 day 1,500 miles) and Lytehouse's (11 day 3,500 miles) trips, my trip Friday looks like any regular commute!!!!! But you have to start somewhere, and as this is my first riding season, there were a lot of first times for me on this trip.
I took the opportunity to visit a cousin that was traveling and she was going to stop by St. Augustine (on her way to Charlotte) if I would go there and meet her, so, I was able to swap my working day (Friday for Saturday) and adventured myself with my best friend taking the bikes. I'll try to list all the "first times" I'll remember.

First I have to say that it was an awesome trip, no problems at all, really nice day blue sky and a little on the hot side -mid nineties - but as we were moving it was ok. Riding back (after it was dark) it started feeling as it was not even summer (cool breeze).

Well, this was the first time I (on the bike):
- rode on the interstate (I95) for more than 25 miles, about 100 miles
- found out for how long I can ride comfortably on the bike without stopping (about 100 miles; about 1 hour 30 minutes)
- used the iPhone app (mapQuest) in areas I'm not too familiar with (I do think the voice prompts to turn could be given earlier!!!!!) I'm pretty close to be able to mount the phone on the bike so I can see the screen when using a GPS app.
- parked in front of an establishment with paved parking marked "Bikes only"

This has been my longest trip so far (235 miles total) as I'm getting close to four months after buying my bike

The route was:
I95 North from Cocoa to St Augustine
From 95, took 16 east to A1A south, through historic St Augustine to the Conch House for lunch (I think they changed management, the food there used to be much better, either way the location is great - a marina)
Back to historic/touristic St. Augustine (visiting historic areas and had huge Ice cream, my cousin has two boys, a 6 and a 3 year old). We walked quite a bit
Took A1A north and stopped at Mardi Gras Sports Bar, really nice place.
Took A1A south until Flaggler Beach (it was getting dark already) but we were riding alongside the ocean (it was awesome!!!!!)
Took 100 west until 95
Took 95 south until Cocoa

For me it was a trip worth repeating, I do like St. Augustine a lot.

This was also perfect training for a Coast-to-Coast-to-Coast (Florida: East-West-East) trip I'd like to do soon.

Pictures:
IMG_1302 Rustic (outdoor) altar commemorating the first parish Mass celebrated here on the date of the founding of St. Augustine, September 8, 1565, by Fr. Francisco Lopez de Mendoza Grajales - Mission of Nombre de Dios and Shrine of Our Lady of La Leche

IMG_1312 The Cathedral Basilica of St. Augustine

IMG_1316 Water Wheel at Mill Top Tavern. St. George Street

IMG_1320 Parking lot of Mardi Gras Sports Bar. San Marco Blvd (A1A)

Last edited:

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
"For me it was a trip worth repeating, I do like St. Augustine a lot."

Also my favorite city in FL! I just love the history there!
And pretty soon you'll be riding up to the Dragon!! :thumbup:

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
"For me it was a trip worth repeating, I do like St. Augustine a lot."

Also my favorite city in FL! I just love the history there!
And pretty soon you'll be riding up to the Dragon!! :thumbup:

St. Augustine is indeed a wonderful city, and even though I still need to visit many cities in Florida, St. Augustine is on top of my list.

Thank you very much for the kind words, but I'll need many many "long" trips before I can head to the Dragon - I would really like to go there!!!!!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the dedicated motorcycle parking that they have over there:thumbup:

Bikes Only! Damn right, we need more of it everywhere!

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Heck, I've been riding for 3 or 4 years now and the longest ride I've done is @ 200 miles. And that was over the course of a day in about 4, 50ish mile humps. :) I do 150 miles a few times a year, did it today.

I too love Augistine. Cool little town. I haven't been there in 10 or so years.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Heck, I've been riding for 3 or 4 years now and the longest ride I've done is @ 200 miles. And that was over the course of a day in about 4, 50ish mile humps. :) I do 150 miles a few times a year, did it today.

Thank you, this makes me feel better. For sure I'll keep on doing things like this (and also trying to get more miles) once it is not that hot around here, that is what "winters" are good for here!!!!!

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great pics :thumbup: I love St Augustine as well, great atmosphere and dare I say it a bit of history as well :thumbup:

Last edited: