How to Install R1 Forks on an FZ6

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Ok, the forks are on, still have some minor details like the headlight, front fender and brake pads to install, but, I figured I would post up what I have done to get to this point.

krushnuts R6r Forks, the thread that started it all:http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/18846-r6r-forks-doable.html
Also check out 4drfocus's R6r Fork Swap:http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/32360-r6r-front-end-swap-finished-finaly.html
and Scottn's R6r Fork Swap:http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/32681-2009-r6-front-end-project-complete.html

Parts:
- 1998-2001 R1 Forks: I used 2001 R1 forks, $180 on ebay (1998-2001 are the same, 2002 on use a different axle and 2003 on have a different center post diameter at the bottom than the FZ6)
- Used FZ6 Lower Triple $50 (So I could experiment without destroying my triple)
- 1998-2003 R1 Brake Calipers: I got 2002 brake calipers, $90 ebay, because they had the gold anodized caps instead of the blue from previous years.
- Optional 1998-2001 R1 front wheel spacers, $5 ebay, I found out during the install that the FZ6 spacers worked fine, but since I had them and the dust seal covered the whole bearing area I used them.
- 2, M8 - 1.25 X 25 mm Hex head bolts to mount your ignition, $1.35 at Lowes.
- 1, 3/4" Crimp Ring: Pack of 10 at Lowes for $3. You will need to insert this in the R1 Top Clamp around the top of the FZ6 Center Post as the Diameter at the top of the Center Post is 22 mm and the inside Diameter of the R1 Top Clamp is 27 mm, this still leaves about a 1 mm gap all the way around when installed.
- Handlebar risers: I used these from Motorcycle, ATV/UTV and Snowmobile Parts and Accessories - Dennis Kirk, Inc, $66
dk595908.jpg

I had to drill and tap a hole between the two existing mounts to bolt it to the top clamp, I screwed the original bolts into the original mounting holes and cut them off about a 1/4" long, I then drilled 4 holes in the top clamp for these to fit in to keep the risers stable.

Ok, I think that is everything, so what we are essentially doing is swapping out the R1 Center Post for the FZ6 Center Post. In order to do this you will need to remove the retaining ring from both triple trees located at the bottom underneath the lower triple tree around the bottom of the center post (see picture below) Once you have done this you will need a hydraulic press to press out the center post and then press them back in.

To remove the retaining ring you will need to dremel off the lip around the edge of the lower triple that is right over the ring. Once you have dremeled the lip off, you can pry up one end of the ring and remove it with a pair of needle nose. You will reinstall the ring by getting one end started in the groove around the bottom of the center post and then working it into the groove by tapping it in all the way around, once it is seated in the groove the center post is unmovable.

picture.php

Once you have the center post swapped, simply take off the front tire, brakes and forks.

Install your R1 Forks using all of the FZ6 bearings, bolts and pieces, be sure to regrease your bearings at this point.

The most difficult part, getting the ignition off of the FZ6 Top Clamp. I attempted to drill out the bolts, no dice, so instead I used a hacksaw to cut below the ignition where the top clamp mounts to it (wasn't going to use the top clamp again anyhow :D) once I cut through the bolts the ignition came right off.

Now, since the R1 top clamp sits closer to the frame and the FZ6 has that ugly bunch of metal poking out right below the top clamp, the ignition is not going to fit. So, I cut and grinded the back of my ignition down until it cleared and mounted, you will notice that there is a steel pin in the area you need to cut and grind, this is the pin that allows you to lock the steering on your bike, if you do it right your steering lock will still work, thankfully mine does.

Mount your wheel and brakes (you will need to place one washer between each of the brake mounting points so that the calipers line up with the rotors) and enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Insane. Love the look. Can't wait to hear how it handles. Can you come over and do mine?

BTW it looks like the rake has changed (but obviously it hasn't), are the forks longer than the FZ6s? Is the front now riding higher, or is this an optical illusions?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Insane. Love the look. Can't wait to hear how it handles. Can you come over and do mine?

BTW it looks like the rake has changed (but obviously it hasn't), are the forks longer than the FZ6s? Is the front now riding higher, or is this an optical illusions?

I thought the same thing, it looks great, but front end looks really tall now, but it might just be the inverted forks playing tricks...

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org

Pay for my round trip ticket and I would love to :D. I am curious about the handling myself, I am leaving for a week long vacation tomorrow, so I will have to wait to get the fender, brakes and headlight done so I can ride. The elevation is an optical illusion, the forks are the same length, one of the reasons I chose the 01' R1 forks was because they were the same length.

Last edited:

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you think your standard fender is going to fit at all, or are you going to look for an old R1 fender? And are you running the stock shock?

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the coming over and modding the bike ! ;P Love the colour of the bike :) So nice in red. Bugger about the holiday ! We all now have to wait !! Nooooo ;P

kawwikid

Reaction score
Visit site
This is a cool mod. But I wonder, could you not just hone out the FZ6 triple claps (upper and lower) to 43mm so that the R1 forks would fit in the FZ clamps. If so, it would make things a little easier for the mod...Very cool though..

Sean

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Out of curiosity; How/Where did you get all of the dimensional information for the R1 fork set-up?? (i.e. Length of forks, Bore Diameter of lower stem pin)

Tell me your secrets!!

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
Good job! I think many people like the R6 fork mod because the forks are shorter and they do lower the front end just a hair. For comfort & durability, the R1 forks will probably be better since the R1 weighs a little more than the FZ6.

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is a cool mod. But I wonder, could you not just hone out the FZ6 triple claps (upper and lower) to 43mm so that the R1 forks would fit in the FZ clamps. If so, it would make things a little easier for the mod...Very cool though..

Sean

Good idea but I don't think there would be enough material left on the clamp as the R1 fork is 50mm.

kawwikid

Reaction score
Visit site
Good idea but I don't think there would be enough material left on the clamp as the R1 fork is 50mm.
Well I just looked up the specs on the FZ6 forks and the different year R1 forks and this is what i found:

all years of FZ6 - Forks - 43mm with 130mm travel

1998-2003 R1 - Forks - USD 44mm with 120mm travel

2004-2005 R1 - Forks - USD 43mm with 120mm travel

2006-2008 R1 - Forks- USD 43mm with 119.4mm travel

So I would think that only honing 1mm off of the triple claps, if your going to use 1998-2003 R1 forks, wouldn't be that bad. And if you find a set of 2004-2005 R1 forks to work with, then it looks like it wouldn't need any work on the FZ6 triple clamp. Now as far as the calibers and the front fender, that's another story, that im looking into...2004 and on R1s have Radial mounted brakes, so the 1998 to 2003 would be easier to set up, and I think that they use the same caliper as the R6s, which would mean that ever our stock calipers should mount up...hum

Sean

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I looked up on the Convertibar web site the kit they sell of the older R1s, and they listed it as 50mm.

The R1 forks look the same as my FZ1 forks and I used the Convertibar 50mm kit on my bike.

Not sure??? :confused:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ahh! figured it out. You're looking at the measurements for the slider on the USD forks, and the tubes on the FZ6. With that in mind 50mm is correct.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org

Sean

Maybe, but the tube is quite a bit bigger, I would be concerned about jeopardizing the strength integrity of the clamp.

Last edited:

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Out of curiosity; How/Where did you get all of the dimensional information for the R1 fork set-up?? (i.e. Length of forks, Bore Diameter of lower stem pin)

Tell me your secrets!!

Local, dealership had a 2001 R1 I took measurements from. I also looked up the axle part number as well as the steering bearing part numbers on Yamaha.com to see if all of the contact points would be the same between the two bikes.