What are the repercussions...

Roboco

Reaction score
Visit site
of changing the rear tire but not the front as the rear is getting dangerously low but the front has a another 1000 miles or so?
The tires would be different kinds too. Anyone done this?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess if you're an easy rider you could just change out the back but with only 1k left I would change both. Rule of thumb especially if you push a little is keep rubber the same. The other factor is age of the tire. The older tire, even if it had decent grip will lose properties for grip over time as well as loose other physical integrity.

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
As long as the new tire is the same brand/model of the other, then you should be ok...This is how I've done it with my Pilot Powers over the last few years. Like Cliff said, it just depends on how old the remaining tire is.

Roboco

Reaction score
Visit site
It's times like these I wish I wasn't so cheap. Safety first I guess...cant put $$$ on being safe....

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
The other thing to think about is that if you are pushing the front tire at all mileage wise it's a slippery slope. I will stretch a rear tire cuz you can usually ride out a rear blowout. A front tire blowout on the other hand is almost always a much larger problem and a much more expensive fix than just the tire. They are expensive but as you said you can't put a price on keeping your a$$ off the ground.

Motohead

Reaction score
Visit site
For general street riding, tires do not need to be changed out in sets. If the front still has reasonable life, just change the back. Pushing it in twisties or a track is obviously different.

Last edited:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As previously said, the age of the tyre may be a big factor.

1000 miles really isn't that much. I would change them both together.

That avatar of yours is the reason you should think of the safety before $$$, which I'm sure you usually do :D

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
If you combine tires from different manufacturers, depending on your choice - you may end up with a combination of different compounds. This could have an ill side effect in which your one tire could loose traction before the other. Many shops won't dare mix-match tires for you - it is against their policy.

If you do choose to do so, be vary weary - and be prepared to do it yourself.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I do it all the time (on every bike I've owned over 16 years). If you don't push it to the edge, it's no big drama. You just have to be aware you have different tires on and not ride past the limits of the lesser tire.

Tire tread patterns, are often designed to work as a team from front to rear in the wet however. If you ride in the wet, be very careful until you see how they behave together. :thumbup: