NY to KY to TN, NC, VA, MD and back to NY

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
On July 2nd I leave for a trip that I’ve been wanting to do for over a year now. I am taking the bike and riding to KY to visit my son and daughter in law for a couple of days. From there I will travel to NC to ride through Deals Gap. My plans include the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline drive as well before landing in Baltimore MD for a business conference on the 9th.

My friend who was supposed to be riding with me crashed last weekend and is unable to go. That could be a whole new thread in itself but he is ok – sore but ok. The bike sustained a lot of cosmetic damage. If it was mine I’d get rid of it and buy another as it hasn’t run properly since he’s had it but that’s up to him.

Anyway, I don’t have a GPS but have mapped my proposed route out on Google.
Troy, NY to Troy, NY - Google Maps

I plan on bringing paper maps as well as bringing my mini laptop. If I run short on time I will just hop on the Interstate at some point.

I could use suggestions on hotels (especially in Ohio – I plan on making it to the Columbus area the first night.); what tools to bring and anything else you might think pertinent..

I still have not managed to figure out how to get the bike on the centerstand alone so will be using the spray and push method to lube the chain. LOL.

Wish me luck and I will update as it gets closer. This weekend the bike will have a fresh oil change and a practice run with packing it up.

Last edited:

Adirondack Jack

Don't call me " Jun ior&a
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a great trip, Cheryl. Safe travels. I'm envious, of course.
Center stand is like learning to tie your shoes. Once you have it, it just gets easier and easier.
My advice- Check out any videos you can find, although I'm pretty sure you'll have already done that and probably know what to do. Just a problem actually doing it. Go slow and in control of the bike's balance point until the center stand has both feet firm. Leave the side stand down for a bail out, and use your body weight to push the stand peg down. It's not about trying to pick the bike up. Physics is on your side. Trust me! It might help to have a friend stand opposite side for moral (and more) support but don't let them help.
Once again- ride safe!

Adirondack Jack

Reaction score
Visit site
Oooops- my bad- didn't include this part. :spank:

.....and use your body weight to push the stand peg down while pulling up with the right hand.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On July 2nd I leave for a trip that I’ve been wanting to do for over a year now. I am taking the bike and riding to KY to visit my son and daughter in law for a couple of days. From there I will travel to NC to ride through Deals Gap. My plans include the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline drive as well before landing in Baltimore MD for a business conference on the 9th.

My friend who was supposed to be riding with me crashed last weekend and is unable to go. That could be a whole new thread in itself but he is ok – sore but ok. The bike sustained a lot of cosmetic damage. If it was mine I’d get rid of it and buy another as it hasn’t run properly since he’s had it but that’s up to him.

Anyway, I don’t have a GPS but have mapped my proposed route out on Google.
Troy, NY to Troy, NY - Google Maps

I plan on bringing paper maps as well as bringing my mini laptop. If I run short on time I will just hop on the Interstate at some point.

I could use suggestions on hotels (especially in Ohio – I plan on making it to the Columbus area the first night.); what tools to bring and anything else you might think pertinent..

I still have not managed to figure out how to get the bike on the centerstand alone so will be using the spray and push method to lube the chain. LOL.

Wish me luck and I will update as it gets closer. This weekend the bike will have a fresh oil change and a practice run with packing it up.

I envy you! You're going to have a great adventure! Some where on the internet I saw a list of recommended goodies to take along. I think It was Iron Butt Association or something like that. A decent LED flashlight and duct tape along with a multi tool in addition to your bike tools. But the list I saw was endless and you'd need an additional trailer!
On the center stand the trick is. Stand on the left side of the bike, facing front. The bike can be on it's side stand. Tilt the bike upright and with your right foot, push down on the center stand until it touches the floor evenly. Now stand hard on the centerstand lever with all of your weight and pull hard straight up with your right hand on the grab rail . You will see the bike rise up on it's own. You might practice with a friend to help secure the bike as you practice but once you get it the routine will be easy as pie. Don't try to pull backwards on the hand rail. I use to try to pull in the backwards direction and it was messing me up. Straight down with the foot and straight up with the hand. Please keep it touch with us and send pictures! Oh yeah...stay out of the storms!

Adirondack Jack

Reaction score
Visit site
I envy you! You're going to have a great adventure! Some where on the internet I saw a list of recommended goodies to take along. I think It was Iron Butt Association or something like that. A decent LED flashlight and duct tape along with a multi tool in addition to your bike tools. But the list I saw was endless and you'd need an additional trailer!
On the center stand the trick is. Stand on the left side of the bike, facing front. The bike can be on it's side stand. Tilt the bike upright and with your right foot, push down on the center stand until it touches the floor evenly. Now stand hard on the centerstand lever with all of your weight and pull hard straight up with your right hand on the grab rail . You will see the bike rise up on it's own. You might practice with a friend to help secure the bike as you practice but once you get it the routine will be easy as pie. Don't try to pull backwards on the hand rail. I use to try to pull in the backwards direction and it was messing me up. Straight down with the foot and straight up with the hand. Please keep it touch with us and send pictures! Oh yeah...stay out of the storms!

Yeah! What Cliff said. That's a much better description. But really.....go SLOW.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
211 near skyline is awesome.
33 in wv, west of harrisonburg, va is awesome as well.
211 is much better than skyline (and free).
but skyline will have some nice photo ops.
watch out for cops on skyline and 211.

you can skip the beltway and take 15 up into md, that will go around point of rocks, md, which is kinda scenic. then take 70 to b'more.
it will take longer, but 495 isn't so fun. if you go on 495, my advice is to stay in the far left lane and go as fast as you can.

also: have fun!!!

Last edited:

crash 01

Reaction score
Visit site
Cheryl, it sounds like you are venturing out on a trip like you've not done before; I'm planning a similar trip to the northeast in the future. Motogiro is right, check the Iron But website and ask questions. You can always learn from other's experiences. I've ridden all over Europe on two wheels and it is something that stays with you forever. Don't be afraid of your trip - be careful and stay alert, stop often if you need to. Where are you going in KY? I live just off I-65; if we don't have to work, my wife and I might meet you for lunch as you pass. Keep us posted.

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
You'll be passing right by me as you go through Chattanooga, TN. I hope to one day undertake a nice long trip like that. If you have any desire to hit any of the tourist traps in Chattanooga, shoot me a PM. I may be able to swing you some passes. Alas, my drafting gig dried up on me and I'm back to working at a tourist trap :)

Be safe and we expect to be bombarded by photos when you return :)

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
From there I will travel to NC to ride through Deals Gap.

Awesome, you'll have a blast on the dragon.

It made me nervous the first few times, but doing it yourself is the only way you'll learn. You really have to rock it. I grab the sissy bars to keep the bike balanced and put ALL of my weight on the centerstand footpeg that will rock the bike back and perch it on the stand.

Like I said I put all my weight - and I weigh 175lb - to rock it on the the stand, so you gotta give it some UMPH.

good luck with the trip, have fun, be safe, and post lots of pics when you get back - especially of the dragon. :)

S

Shamus McFeeley

I-24 is boring, and dangerous between Nashville and Clarksville. Be careful with the traffic, people drive like maniacs though that corridor. If you want to see some better sights, take KY highway 117 north to 272 west and then 139 north into Cadiz. I-24 is under construction in several places and that will take you around it all.

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
Cheryl, it sounds like you are venturing out on a trip like you've not done before; I'm planning a similar trip to the northeast in the future. Motogiro is right, check the Iron But website and ask questions. You can always learn from other's experiences. I've ridden all over Europe on two wheels and it is something that stays with you forever. Don't be afraid of your trip - be careful and stay alert, stop often if you need to. Where are you going in KY? I live just off I-65; if we don't have to work, my wife and I might meet you for lunch as you pass. Keep us posted.

I would love to meet you guys for lunch - it would certainly break up my day!
Thanks for the encouragement, it is a little intimidating but I'm determined to do this and have fun!

Post up when you are coming to the Northeast!

You'll be passing right by me as you go through Chattanooga, TN. I hope to one day undertake a nice long trip like that. If you have any desire to hit any of the tourist traps in Chattanooga, shoot me a PM. I may be able to swing you some passes. Alas, my drafting gig dried up on me and I'm back to working at a tourist trap :)

Be safe and we expect to be bombarded by photos when you return :)

I will let you know about stopping in Chattanooga - I guess it will depend on what time I go through there. Thanks.

Yes, I will bore everyone with my pics when I get back - or maybe even during the ride LOL :)

Thank you everyone for your advice and encouragement. With all your advice in mind, I attempted and was successful at FINALLY getting the bike on the centerstand all by myself last night! The trick for me was starting facing the bike but once the stand was down and both prongs touched the ground, I pivoted to face the front of the bike and pushed back (yes I had to rock a few times) with all my weight while lifting straight up on the grab bar. It wasn't pretty or quick but I did it (twice LOL)! I'm very proud of myself and also very relieved that this won't be an issue for me and I will be able to properly lube my chain!

I will check out the iron butt website, am making notes about what to bring and revising my route now. :)