On off throttle responce...07 FZ6

N

Naykid

{Stock exhaust...stock air cleaner...stock gearing}

I figured the fast guys here will know the answer so here goes. On the track or at a good quick street pace....my new to me FZ6 has terrible on-off throttle response. Say you're approaching an 80 mph corner and you roll out and use the engine braking.....then as you TRY to smoothly roll the throttle back on while cranked over at the apex....the throttle suddenly jerks on and no amount of finesse will work. It's not me. It's the FZ6 for certain.

So the question is...what causes this? Is it normal on a FZ6? Do you suspect the TPS or can it be the throttle body sync?

I never had a bike that was this bad with the on-off throttle. I have to fix it so any ideas? I hope it's a common problem with a common fix.

No mods...stock exhaust.

CDE

Reaction score
Visit site
You are not alone. Mine does this too. Stock.

I just brush the clutch (which requires quite a lot of finesse due to matching RPM's and to not jerk the bike even more) or just brace for it. I've noticed it's jerky and wondered the same thing. I was going to try and fiddle with the throttle tension and make sure everything is up to spec for my next longer ride.

This is a big reason I'm looking at some GSXR's... :p

Last edited:

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ditto. Would love to hear any solutions, it can really catch you sometimes. And with average suspension, it wreaks even more havoc.

Fizzer600

Reaction score
Visit site
I have found on mine that its more to do with the fierce engine breaking and a sack chain.

I try to slow down on approch and I'm back on the power before the apex so I've just gone past that snatchy point on the throtte

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ditto. Would love to hear any solutions, it can really catch you sometimes. And with average suspension, it wreaks even more havoc.

N

Naykid

The FZ6 has always suffered badly with chain lash in its stock form :( I think you will find this is the cause of you issues :thumbup:

Thanks but it isn't the chain. It did the same thing with the stock 525 chain that was abused...as it does now with a brand new 520 conversion chain. It's fuel mapping or a bad TPS or something. I know SOMEBODY on here had to have fixed this problem somehow.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks but it isn't the chain. It did the same thing with the stock 525 chain that was abused...as it does now with a brand new 520 conversion chain. It's fuel mapping or a bad TPS or something. I know SOMEBODY on here had to have fixed this problem somehow.

Did they still do the TPS recall on the 07 model ?? I know there was a worldwide recall for TPS issues on the earlier models so you may be on the right track :thumbup:

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
Did they still do the TPS recall on the 07 model ?? I know there was a worldwide recall for TPS issues on the earlier models so you may be on the right track :thumbup:

I'm no expert, but I don't think there was a TPS recall for the 07+. That was just for the 06 or before models.

From what I've read throughout this forum since I've been here, it seems to be a pretty common complaint with the FZ6. I noticed it when I first started on the FZ6, and I wondered if I was doing something wrong. After searching on here, it seems that just about everyone experiences it. If you find a solution, I'll definitely be interested in hearing it!

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You slide off the seat a bit, roll off the throttle and brake hard:rockon:. You look through the turn as you start to tip in while easing off the brake:rockon:. You carefully roll on the throttle and nothing happens:rolleyes:.....so you start to "fall" inwards 'cause you need to power through the turn, so you roll the throttle on more looking for the opening spot...and BAM:eek:, the front wheel wants to lift and the rear wants to try to spin.....Sound familiar?

It's the same problem that the 06 FZ1 suffers from, only not as severe. I tend to trail brake, and if you stay on the rear a bit as you gas it (and gas it a bit early) I find it helps....it's a tuff one to master though. There was talk of someone taking an FZ6 to Ivan's performance (in New York?) and he'd whip up an FCE (Fuel cutoff eliminator) for it. This is the fix used on the FZ1's and from all reports I've heard it does the trick. Still haven't got one for mine but I will.

One thing that will help is to keep your throttle adjusted so that it operates in the same place every time, ie. adjust the slack out very regularly. This makes it easier for muscle memory to have you opening the throttle to the same place each time instead of going looking for the spot....lol...those who have this problem will know what I mean. And if you think it's bad on the FZ6, man the FZ1 goes nuts when it does it:eek:...lol.

Adirondack Jack

Don't call me " Jun ior&a
Reaction score
Visit site
Adjust the free play out of the throttle cable. Never mind the manual specs. There are threads here to explain how to do it. You'll see a HUGE difference.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
It's just the way the engine package is designed. The engine is peaky with pretty poor roll on power (torque) available at cruising speeds, thats a well known fact. And there is very little engine braking available to the rider either. Along with those issues is the very narrow clutch engagement which makes smooth shifting and transition difficult to achieve. You may be able to fiddle around the edges and tighten things up but overall those issues are 'baked into the cake' and you can't alleviate them. That is one reason the new FJ6R is such an improvement even though some 20 hp are given up on the top end. There is less peak power available but the driveability of the machine is vastly improved with a solid, punchy midrange.

I've driven many bikes over the last 35 years and this FZ6 is one of the jerkiest bikes I've ever had. It takes a delicate hand and foot coordination to get things right.

Last edited:
N

Naykid

You slide off the seat a bit, roll off the throttle and brake hard:rockon:. You look through the turn as you start to tip in while easing off the brake:rockon:. You carefully roll on the throttle and nothing happens:rolleyes:.....so you start to "fall" inwards 'cause you need to power through the turn, so you roll the throttle on more looking for the opening spot...and BAM:eek:, the front wheel wants to lift and the rear wants to try to spin.....Sound familiar?

Yep....that's it exactly. Thanks for the reply and Ivan happens to be a friend from the FZ1OA forum...so i'll ask him about it too. I didn't even know Ivan had any FZ6 gadgets.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's just the way the engine package is designed. The engine is peaky with pretty poor roll on power (torque) available at cruising speeds, thats a well known fact. And there is very little engine braking available to the rider either. Along with those issues is the very narrow clutch engagement which makes smooth shifting and transition difficult to achieve. You may be able to fiddle around the edges and tighten things up but overall those issues are 'baked into the cake' and you can't alleviate them. That is one reason the new FJ6R is such an improvement even though some 20 hp are given up on the top end. There is less peak power available but the driveability of the machine is vastly improved with a solid, punchy midrange.

I've driven many bikes over the last 35 years and this FZ6 is one of the jerkiest bikes I've ever had. It takes a delicate hand and foot coordination to get things right.

I disagree. IMO the less torque a bike has, the smoother it should be on throttle exiting a turn. You get a bike with gobs of torque and it will theoretically hit you with more ponies at a given throttle position.

I would have thought it's related to the fuel injection system.

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it has to do something with the transmission and the way the discs are most likely not being lubricated properly under higher G's.

kawwikid

Reaction score
Visit site
Coming from a long line of carb. bikes ( EX500, FZR600R, ZX6R, ZX6E, CBRXX, ZRX1100, Super Hawk) I found that getting on my first fuel injected bike, (VFR800i) the throttle was very touchy and jerky. No manner of PC2/3 programming could fix it. As I had more and more fuel injected bikes, I got more and more used to the feeling that the trottle had, to the point that it dosent even phase me any more..Now that being said, having had the FZ6 dyno tuned with a PC3, the bottom/ off throttle responce on my bike is a lot smoother than it was, when it was stock. Also, blocking off the AIS, which i know will make some of the "green" guys here mad, but blocking it off, and then dialing in the A/F and PC3 helps a bunch too..I found this to be true on all the fuel injected bikes that I have own, but especially on my Yamaha's...(FJR and Warrior)...

Sean

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, it sucks, period. I found that a Power Commander and a custom dyno tune solved the majority of the problem.

And FZ1 people think they have a bad throttle, meehh, they should be forced to ride a stock FZ6 for a year, then ride an FZ1. No complaints after that...

Last edited:
N

Naykid

Yup, it sucks, period. I found that a Power Commander and a custom dyno tune solved the majority of the problem.

And FZ1 people think they have a bad throttle, meehh, they should be forced to ride a stock FZ6 for a year, then ride an FZ1. No complaints after that...

I am planning an exhaust can change...and the required PC3.....but i thought maybe i could solve this prob first. I guess not. What does the Ivan gizmo do? Antbody know?

Zoom

Reaction score
Visit site
Jip this is a major problem, I have an '08 Fz6 with the same problem, so I don't think it can still be the TPS issues they had with '04-'06. Must be something with the Fuel Injection System.

Please post solution if one is found.....:confused: