Oil warning light after oil change

JJFRANKIS

Reaction score
Visit site
I changed my oil for the first time and afterwards, I started it and the oil warning light came on for about 45 seconds then went off. I assume the oil light was on while the oil was being circulated and then switched off once the new oil was fully circulated. Does this happen to everybody?

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Never happened to me. If everything checks out ok, the bike operates normally, and the light does not come on again I'd say your assumption works for me....curious to hear if others have had similar experiences with the FZ6 or otherwise.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe that the oil light is an oil level light, not an oil pressure light. I would double check the oil level.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe that the oil light is an oil level light, not an oil pressure light. I would double check the oil level.

That has happened to me one time, the oil light came on after I changed the oil. But it was due to the fact that I didn't put enough oil in my bike.

H

HavBlue

Did you prime the filter? When I change the oil I generally fill the filter and let the new oil soak in. I don't fill it to the point it is stuffed, only to the point oil has soaked into the element. I have yet to have a problem with the light.

Note: the FZ6 does not have an oil pressure switch. Rather, it is an oil level warning lamp and level switch.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you prime the filter? When I change the oil I generally fill the filter and let the new oil soak in. I don't fill it to the point it is stuffed, only to the point oil has soaked into the element. I have yet to have a problem with the light.

Note: the FZ6 does not have an oil pressure switch. Rather, it is an oil level warning lamp and level switch.

I was thinking the same havblue, about priming the filter, but if it is an oil level switch and not an oil presuure light then that shouldn't matter, because the level will be higher until the oil soaks into the filter.

hmmmm has anyone insatlled an oil pressure gauge on one of these bikes?

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have never primed a filter before but it makes sense.

I fill it up to the top mark and then check it again before I ride next time.

Steve

H

HavBlue

most people learn this working on diesel's (huge filter holds like a quart)

Yeah Madman and maybe more. I think people often forget bikes aren't like trucks or cars where there is a huge amount of oil pressure which can often be above 50-60psi on cold start. For this reason alone I like priming the filter because it reduces dry run time on engines that often run below 30psi. Just something about an engine having little or no oil pressure for even milliseconds that bothers me......

JJFRANKIS

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I have put too much oil in and that is the reason for the light coming on. I put about 3 1/2 quarts. I stopped at just under 3 quarts, but the oil light came on and so I thought it meant it needed more oil. Does it harm the engine if there is too much oil in it? Should I try and drain some oil out?

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I have put too much oil in and that is the reason for the light coming on. I put about 3 1/2 quarts. I stopped at just under 3 quarts, but the oil light came on and so I thought it meant it needed more oil. Does it harm the engine if there is too much oil in it? Should I try and drain some oil out?

There should be no harm done short term. Over longer periods of time, and if the oil is high enough, the crank shaft may hit the oil and cause it to foam. This can cause oil starvation in bearings as there really is no oil film due to the aerated oil.

Again this all depends on sump design, windage tray location, et cetera. If it was my bike, I would drain or siphon out the extra oil.

Hope this helps.