My experience using SENA SMH10

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I got my unit about a month ago (May 1st 2010) - paired to an iPhone3G.

Late last week (06/04/2010) we got two more units, so I'll try to update this post with more information as I get more usage.

We have paired these devices with three different phones (one phone per SENA unit). Not a single problem.
Also, the pairing of the SENAs among themselves is very easy.

Intercom: is probably the best feature. I was using the intercom at speeds of about 75MPH and it was completely understandable (loud and clear). Awesome. Once an intercom request is made, the communication is established automatically.

Phone calls: I have realized that when I get to speeds of up to 45-50 MPH, the person I'm talking on the phone has a really hard time understanding me (a lot of noise), I can hear them without a problem. I was told by SENA tech. support that the intercom and phone calls use different profiles, so this might be the problem. I'll need to get a better helmet and see if it helps the situation. You can decline or pick up the phone call. You hear an audible indication of the phone call.

Music: since I have an iPhone, the pairing is done using HFP (phone) and A2DP (music) automatically. I can not control track forward/back (apparently and iPhone issue) but I can play/pause and if I'm listening to music and a phone call is answered or an intercom connection is made, then the music will automatically stop and start after the communication is over. I which they would have an audible indication of the intercom request which, following its priority, it will simply kick in if you are not engaged on a communication with higher priority (phone call).
I can hear iPhone notifications (turn by turn directions, and I believe also the indication of a new email and text message !!!! :rof: ). I still need to find the right GPS turn-by turn application (Google???????)

I did have one problem as I was on a phone call and the voicemail pick up. I was not able to end the voicemail call and pick up the incoming call (apparently this is because of the iPhone menu!!!!!). So, I had to wait until the voicemail decided to finish the communication :spank:
I did a test at home where I was able to end a phone call from the SENA device. I'll have to replicate the previous situation and see what I can do.

iPhone Voice commands: I have been able to make a couple of phone calls with voice command. It is a little tricky, probably because I'm not too familiar with its use :Flash:

Waiting for a new adapter: Tech support told me that they're working on a 2-way radio adapter for the SENA. It is suppose to be ready in 2-3 months:rockon:

Overall, I'm very happy with this device.

As I use it more and I find more useful information, I'll keep on updating this post.

On the meantime, I hope this is helpful.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Some more remarks of my experiences using the SENA SMH10 as I was able to ride with two more friends (3 SENA SMH10 devices total).

General:
1. It takes a couple of seconds to establish an intercom session (keep this in mind if you intend to communicate something which requires immediate action)

2. Once 2 devices are using the intercom, a third one - request - won't be noticed. In other words: if A and B are on the intercom and C wants to use the intercom with either A or B, neither A nor B will realize that C is trying to establish an intercom session (remember that this device does not support group intercom sessions - you can pair up to 4 devices and they all can only talk "one on one")

3. We did a range test in the city (a residential area with houses all over).While on intercom, after an intersection, my friend turned left (90 degree turn) and I kept on going straight. The intercom was active (we could talk to each other) for almost one block, that was both of us kept on going for some 400ft on each direction.

4. Battery life is very respectable

iPhone related:
1. If using the iPhone with turn-by-turn GPS app, while on intercom any directions from the GPS app won't be heard (they use the same blue-tooth profile as the music)

2. After upgrading to iOS4, now I hear the phone's ring-tones directly through the SENA. Before, you'd hear a series of tones for any incoming call. This is very useful if you have different ring-tones assigned to different contacts. Now, depending on the ring-tones (who's calling me) I either pick up the phone call or not.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
First problem with one of the three units:

It would disconnect the intercom randomly, and apparently my friend was not able to use the phone voice commands - she was neither receiving nor able to make phone calls.

I did a master reset on her unit and now it seems to be working without any problems again. This has been the only problem we've found so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
They must be good quality. Did you notice what bikes their model riders were riding ?? That's right they're FZ6s :rockon::rockon::rockon:

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I little (picture) update since I already received the new units.

So far I have only charged the units, by tonight I'll do all the pairing.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
love mine and the range/features on it are great. voice commands, gps features etc work great on my android phone.

the only issue i am having is the rubberized coating is peeling off one of the units. not sure if i will do a warranty on it or not.

I ordered the cheapo china dual headsets for my dirtbike helmets, i will post up how they compare when they arrive:
2×BT interphone bluetooth motorcycle helmet intercom | eBay $78

The cheapo ebay ones arrived already, that was fast. I will post up the results in another thread.

My sena smh10 are very straightforward to use and the battery life on them are great, you can get at least 10+ hours of continuous use easy out of them.

DaveS

Reaction score
Visit site
I picked my dual set up a couple of weeks ago, the guy told me that they were the version that was firmware upgradable but then I found out that he sold me the old version! I'll be taking them back for a replacment for sure!

DaveS

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I little (picture) update since I already received the new units.

So far I have only charged the units, by tonight I'll do all the pairing.

I'm sorry for the BIG delay!!!!!!

I started working on the pairing and then realized these new units have some issues!!!!!! The old units paired without a problem to three different phones, this is not the case now.

I sent Technical Support some information and I'm waiting to hear from them.

From the Sena website I realized they released a new firmware today. Also from their facebook wall I read I'm not the only claiming the older units worked better.
Now I'll work on the firmware upgrade and see how it improves the situation.