Newbie question

A

Andrew

I am hoping my Sportster sells soon so I can get a 2007 FZ6.

I was wondering what the wind protection is like around 70-75 mph. Do you feel vibration or buffeting on your helmet? How bad is the wind noise?

Thanks

W

wrightme43

Its fine at 80 sitting up, hell its fine in a tuck at 135. LOL

It will depend on your helmet the better the design the less buffeting.
The wind noise the same deal. I have a shark RSR2 it is very quiet to me.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure you check out my post regarding "how much did you spend" which shows what we all spent on our new bikes. Hopefully, it will give you an idea on how much you should spend on your new bike.

As far as the wind protection, from my experience, the stock windshield doesn't give you much wind protection, but they do sell taller shields specifically designed for the fz6.

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess it depends on how tall you are. I'm 6' tall and if I ride upright I start to get some turbulence at about 75 MPH. I just duck down a little and it's no problem.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am hoping my Sportster sells soon so I can get a 2007 FZ6.

I was wondering what the wind protection is like around 70-75 mph. Do you feel vibration or buffeting on your helmet? How bad is the wind noise?

Thanks
Hi mate I got a 2006 model. At the speeds you mention I have not had any problems (I am only 5"7 though) Very true also at 130mph in a crouch minimal wind blast to. I have had loads of different helmets at various prices and I can honestly say that ear plugs have been the only thing that has made any difference. Take some getting used to as hearing is obviously a primary sense. Once you det used to them though they are well worth it as most helmets generate 90+dB. Damage can occure at as little as 60dB. Enjoy

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm also 5'7'' and the wind noise and buffeting is pretty noticeable if I sit up straight. I'm wearing earplugs all the time while driving but I'm still thinking of getting a quieter helmet too.

On higher speeds I tend to sit farther back on the seat and duck down. Then the wind gets me higher on my head and not my neck. This position though is not quite steady and IMHO it looks stupid. I guess it's worth it.

Of the higher windshield I've heard different kind of comments. Some say it works fine and others have found no help of it. Driver's height must be a key-factor in this too. Would be nice to try riding a FZ6 with a higher windshield.

Hound

Reaction score
Visit site
On my ride home I noticed some about the head, nothing abnormal IMO. Not neck snapping or uncomfortable. I'm sure when my new SHARK gets in it won't be noticeable at all.

I did notice that my legs and body where *very* well protected. I may get the taller screen for when it gets colder, we'll see.

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm about 5'8" (or 5'9" in my riding boots). When I'm sitting upright, I get a lot of wind on my chest and helmet. It is pretty loud (even with earplugs). It was really kind of unsettling at first. I am now more used to it. I usually duck down with I go by a truck. If I don't, the blast really moves me around. I ordered a CalSci wind shield. Some riders have eliminated wind buffeting and noise by installing the CalSci. I hope that this will be the case with me.

jfreakman

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an HJC helmet with venting, and it gets pretty loud on the interstate. I also get a lot of wind, but I'm also 6'4", so that's part of it too. Still very enjoyable, even after an hour +.

The height was part of the reason for going with the fz6.