gruesome discovery...I feel raped by my dealership

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
plot: I bought the bike second hand from my local dealer. And They put on a 10 year old tyre!!

Today I baught a new set of tyres. Michelin pilot power 2ct.
I went to some dude who would install and re-align them for free :)

When he put off the front tyre he looked at me like he saw a ghost or something. He said that my front tyre was made in the year 1999.
There is some code on the type which I did't knew what it stands for.
149 : built in the 14th week of 1999.

The rear tyre was built in 2006 and also too old to drive safely.

It was my very first bike and I knew nothing about tyre or bike mechanics. So I feel raped by my local dealer for putting on very old unsafe grip-less tyres just before he sold it to me. And the front tyre even was from another type then the rear tyre. front: Metzeler Z1, rear: Metzeler Z6
it didn't crossed my mind too ask the age of ther tyres, I didn't knew anything about tyres and I was just happy to own a fz6.
I don't know if other dealerships also do this, but I think it's very very wrong to make some money on the safety of the driver.

I'm so pissed right now. The front tyre loosing grip was also the reason for my first minor crash...

I also am pissed at myself for not changing tyres right away. I LOVE my new PP2ct's.
They seem to be glued to the road. I better get myself some spare knee-sliders :spank:

sidenote: Tomorrow and the day after tomorrow +25°C + blue sky + vacation + new tyres begging for some twiesties :D

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
if you're sure they put it on I'd take it into them and raise $^&#@,
although with a 2004 bike I suspect they took it on trade with that
tire on it and didn't know, not sure about your area be here the age
of a tire is not checked during a safety, condition only is checked

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
if you're sure they put it on I'd take it into them and raise $^&#@,
although with a 2004 bike I suspect they took it on trade with that
tire on it and didn't know, not sure about your area be here the age
of a tire is not checked during a safety, condition only is checked

hmm, I've been told that a tyre lasts only for about 5 years. After that, it looses it's flexibility and grip.
But I'm no expert, I'm sure there are people on the forum who are :)

on the next service, i'm gonna ask it why they put on old 7/8 wornout tyres. I want to hear there explanation for that.

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
on the next service, i'm gonna ask it why they put on old 7/8 wornout tyres. I want to hear there explanation for that.

On the next service? If previous service from these guys indirectly resulted in you crashing, and you're so pissed, and they got things so wrong, then why go back? Your best bet is to find a mom 'n pop motorcycle shop run by some old geezer who has worked on more bikes than every 20 y/o techy in town. I'm not a big fan of sweeping generalizations, but one that I do subscribe to is that dealerships (most anyway) aren't looking out for you and your bike, small bike repair shops are.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe a little OT, but it's about tires and feeds into what fzme is saying...

I got some new BT-023's in on Friday of last week. My normal guy that mounts my tires wasn't able to get them on that day or night and I had a big ride on Saturday, so I really wanted them on.

I started calling around to see who could install them THAT DAY and not completely rape my wallet in the process. Every dealership that I called wanted at least $30 per wheel (and that was with me pulling the wheels...which I'd already done.) The dealer where I got my bike wanted $64 total but could get it done ASAP. I'd almost resigned myself to paying it when I jumped on our local board and asked if someone could recommend a place that would mount tires for a reasonable fee and possibly get it done that day.

One of my riding buddies posted up about this small racing shop that is (ironically) located in my normal dealership's old building. You wouldn't know this place is there unless you were looking for it. So, I gave them a call and was pleasantly surprised when the guy said sure, we can mount them...it'll take about 20-30 minutes and we charge $15 a wheel if you've already taken them off.

So, I not only saved $30+, got my tires mounted and made my ride on Saturday, but I also found a great little shop that doesn't just care about how much $$$ they can pull out of you. These guys work on and race bikes for the love of it, not for the money. Needless to say, they're getting my business whenever I need something from now on.

Mom and pop shops > stealerships :thumbup:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, how can one tell "149" means "14th week of 1999" and not 2009? :confused: (and yes, I see you bought the bike used)

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, how can one tell "149" means "14th week of 1999" and not 2009? :confused: (and yes, I see you bought the bike used)

Here is how they code tires. First one or two represent the the week and last one or two represent the year. Here is a pic of my stock 2003 quad tires. MFG 34 week of 2002.

5vdfs1.jpg

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
after 5 years on the shelf tires should not be used. the rubber loses its moisture. it becomes more vulnerable to sudden shocks and potential rupture.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, sorry about your tyres but the title of your thread is in pretty poor taste.....

I think your post is in poor taste. Get your mind out of the gutter and try to keep it on topic! :D

rape1   /reɪp/ Show Spelled [reyp] Show IPA noun, verb,raped, rap·ing.
–noun
1.the unlawful compelling of a woman through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse.
2.any act of sexual intercourse that is forced upon a person.
3.statutory rape.
4.an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.
5.Archaic. the act of seizing and carrying off by force.

Last edited:

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Maybe a little OT, but it's about tires and feeds into what fzme is saying...

I got some new BT-023's in on Friday of last week. My normal guy that mounts my tires wasn't able to get them on that day or night and I had a big ride on Saturday, so I really wanted them on.

I started calling around to see who could install them THAT DAY and not completely rape my wallet in the process. Every dealership that I called wanted at least $30 per wheel (and that was with me pulling the wheels...which I'd already done.) The dealer where I got my bike wanted $64 total but could get it done ASAP. I'd almost resigned myself to paying it when I jumped on our local board and asked if someone could recommend a place that would mount tires for a reasonable fee and possibly get it done that day.

One of my riding buddies posted up about this small racing shop that is (ironically) located in my normal dealership's old building. You wouldn't know this place is there unless you were looking for it. So, I gave them a call and was pleasantly surprised when the guy said sure, we can mount them...it'll take about 20-30 minutes and we charge $15 a wheel if you've already taken them off.

So, I not only saved $30+, got my tires mounted and made my ride on Saturday, but I also found a great little shop that doesn't just care about how much $$$ they can pull out of you. These guys work on and race bikes for the love of it, not for the money. Needless to say, they're getting my business whenever I need something from now on.

Mom and pop shops > stealerships :thumbup:

The guy that installed the new set runs a very little tyre/brake pad/chain shop. He was recommended by some friends.
I came in his shop and he started working on the tyres right away.
I payed 195€ for the rear and 145 for the front (catalog prices). I didn't have to pay for the 40 minute work, but I guess that he has some percentage off the tyres.

To be a little more clear: I bought the bike 4 months ago with the old tyres allready installed. 3 months later, I crashed and still they didn't say anything about the bad tyres.
I will go to the local dealer for services only. No tyres, brakes or chains.

@ FZME: I will go back to the dealer for services, because they gave me 1 year of warranty when I baught the bike. And you are absolutely right about the technicians. They are 20yo guys who work at low salary's and do a mediocre job on the bike. And they don't care at all for you. And the fact that customers are not allowed in the workplace where the surgury on the bike is happening also speaks for itself. When the waranty is voided, I will look for a smalltime technician who has a heart for bike and man.

@ Botch: If the tyre is manufactured in the 13th week of 2009, it will be the number 1309. When it's made in 1999 that number will be 139.

I'm sorry for my choise of words for the thread title, but I was looking for a word that described how I felt. (Without having to use the F-word):spank:
Maybe "Heads up for new bikers buying a used bike" would be a more appropriate and search-friendly title.

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't use tires that are more than 2-2.5 years old. Never. I can have fresh rubber for the same price. Why accept the older ones?

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
if it only has 3 digits then it was manufactured before 2000 so it would be a 1999 tire......after 2000 there has to be 4 digits. That is US standards.....

Tire Tech Information - Determining the Age of a Tire

I never really knew exactly how to check when a tire was produced, so thank you for this! Granted, my new BT-023's are a new model for this year so I figured they would be fresh, but when I just looked the numbers were FRONT (0210) and REAR (0410).

Am I right in assuming this means the front was manufactured the second week of January of this year and the rear was manufactured the fourth week of this year? If so...whoo hoo...fresh rubber! :D

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sorry for my choise of words for the thread title, but I was looking for a word that described how I felt. (Without having to use the F-word):spank:
Maybe "Heads up for new bikers buying a used bike" would be a more appropriate and search-friendly title.
It's always amazing to me how adept foreigners are at English language usage. I understand! Most Americans couldn't fathom even speaking a few words of a foreign language; they think that they're envied by the rest of the world and couldn't care less about other cultures. Okay, bring it on, fellow Americans. I have my seat belt fastened (lol).

sublime0713

Gun nut
Reaction score
Visit site
It's always amazing to me how adept foreigners are at English language usage. I understand! Most Americans couldn't fathom even speaking a few words of a foreign language; they think that they're envied by the rest of the world and couldn't care less about other cultures. Okay, bring it on, fellow Americans. I have my seat belt fastened (lol).

Well, he did spell "choice" wrong (choise). Just kidding Bram, you and most of our non-American members have always impressed me with your English usage here on the forum. :thumbup:

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The guy that installed the new set runs a very little tyre/brake pad/chain shop. He was recommended by some friends.
I came in his shop and he started working on the tyres right away.
I payed 195€ for the rear and 145 for the front (catalog prices). I didn't have to pay for the 40 minute work, but I guess that he has some percentage off the tyres.

To be a little more clear: I bought the bike 4 months ago with the old tyres allready installed. 3 months later, I crashed and still they didn't say anything about the bad tyres.
I will go to the local dealer for services only. No tyres, brakes or chains.

@ FZME: I will go back to the dealer for services, because they gave me 1 year of warranty when I baught the bike. And you are absolutely right about the technicians. They are 20yo guys who work at low salary's and do a mediocre job on the bike. And they don't care at all for you. And the fact that customers are not allowed in the workplace where the surgury on the bike is happening also speaks for itself. When the waranty is voided, I will look for a smalltime technician who has a heart for bike and man.

@ Botch: If the tyre is manufactured in the 13th week of 2009, it will be the number 1309. When it's made in 1999 that number will be 139.

Having you where the work is being done is a major insurance issue! I don't know of any shop that I have been to that allows you near where your bike is being worked on. A few car dealers but that's about it.... Here is my thought on this. A mechanic may pay more attention to the work being performed rather than you staring at him or her. The job stands a better chance of being done correctly.....