How to remove top triple for painting on fz6n...pic heavy

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
When this is finished i will edit to clean it all up a bit, add some extra pics and finish the how to so it can be linked for future referance
So i got sick of looking at the silver and went to my local paint supplier and got them the match the frame paint so i can paint my top tripple clamp and handlebars.
The tools you will need for the naked are:
5mm allen wrench
6mm allen wrench
8mm allen wrench
10mm spanner
8mm spanner
Number 2 Phillips
27mm Half inch socket with breaker bar
half inch touque wrench the reads upto 110nm
Hammer and center punch
A few rags
A soft face hammer or mallet
A few different sized taps (the thread cutting kind)
A few different sized flat head screwdrivers from tiny to medium

take some photos of the position of your levers, accesories and cable routing
SANY0204.jpg

SANY0210.jpg

SANY0209.jpg

remove handle bars and headlight, take your time with the electrical plugs and dont forget the ones on the brake and clutch perch, you will also have to remove the throttle side bar end to slide the switchblock and throttle off:10mm tbar socket or spanner, 5mm allen wrench, 8mm allen wrench, #2 phillips
SANY0216.jpg

wrap up master cylinder and mirror so they dont get scratched or scratch anything:some rages and tape

undo bolts holding headlight/speedo bracket to top tripple, should be 3 of them:10mm spanner
SANY0225.jpg

Undo fork pinch bolts on top tripple:6mm allen wrench
SANY0229.jpg

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
Undo the main headset nut, put a rag over the nut then tap the socket over the rag to prevent damage:27mm socket and breaker bar
SANY0219.jpg

this nut has been undone and doesnt have a mark on it
SANY0223.jpg

the tripple should now slide off, if it wont move give it a few taps with a soft face or mallet
SANY0233.jpg

this is the part that gives the poos to people the security bolts
SANY0235.jpg

I tried the cutting a slot in the head of the bolt method and had no luck
The old man comes to see what i was doing and stepped in to show me 'the easy way' and he was right. A hammer and center punch and just tap the bolt around.
SANY0237.jpg

remove yammy logo from clamp with tiny screwdriver dont damage this as they are very expensive
So now with the tripple off for paint give it a but of a rub back with some i think it was 800grit
take a realy small fine file and go to work cleaning up the rough casting marks, this should realy make the new paint look cleaner
give it another rub back and give it a wash up with some rubbing alcohol
go to town with the paint you have chosen. I used matched paint same as the frame

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
clean out ALL the threads to remove all the paint and locktight:match the tap the the bolt that goes into the hole and take care
IMG_0170.jpg

refit ignition barrel i used the same snap off security bolts but waited till the triple was on untill i snapped off the bolts
SANY0242.jpg

refit top tripple to bike
Touque up main headset nut to 110nm using the rag under the socket again
SANY0243.jpg

do up the pinch bolts
SANY0245.jpg

Put bolts back in headlight bracket
SANY0247.jpg

refit handlebars and headlight
sit back and have a look at your great work:thumbup:
IMG_0174-1.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

Last edited:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome job and color me surprised at just how easy it is to remove the top triple.

This may sound stupid, but in all the posts I've seen about people removing the triple to have it painted/powder coated, I've never seen anyone just remove the triple without taking the forks off the bike. I guess I didn't realize you could do it this way, but since the forks are held in place by the lower triple, they won't move.

Nice job! Oh, and give us an overall shot of the bike...I haven't seen many yellow FZ6's. I bet that's SWEET!!!

:rockon:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great thread Lincoln.

I will be doing this very mod later in the month.

Thanks for the tips :thumbup:

BWT, what the hell is that pink thing :eek:

racebrooks

Reaction score
Visit site
Great stuff. I am planning the same thing including converting to FZ1 bars. I received the bar a couple of days ago and am waiting for a couple of days off to tear the bike apart.

My concerns are always regarding my modest mechanical abilities. It seems like everytime I work on a bike there something strips, breaks or otherwise sends me to a part shop.

Maybe I missed it but what did you need the taps for?

Thanks for the great pics

Randy

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome job and color me surprised at just how easy it is to remove the top triple.

This may sound stupid, but in all the posts I've seen about people removing the triple to have it painted/powder coated, I've never seen anyone just remove the triple without taking the forks off the bike. I guess I didn't realize you could do it this way, but since the forks are held in place by the lower triple, they won't move.

Nice job! Oh, and give us an overall shot of the bike...I haven't seen many yellow FZ6's. I bet that's SWEET!!!

:rockon:
I think it is much easier to remove the triple this way and its the way we do it at work. Much quicker and easier, the extra weight on the lower clamp wont worry it (as long as you arnt jumping up and down on the bike while its apart or somthing silly;)) if you want you can put somthing under the headers to take some weight off but i wouldnt bother.

I will take some photos this weekend:thumbup:

Great thread Lincoln.

I will be doing this very mod later in the month.

Thanks for the tips :thumbup:

BWT, what the hell is that pink thing :eek:

Your white will look awsome with the painted tripple kazza are you going to have it powdercoated or painted?
The pink thing as a "Magno man" well i think it is had it for years sitting on the toolbox and it now lives on the bike between the headset nut and the handle bars:thumbup:

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
Great stuff. I am planning the same thing including converting to FZ1 bars. I received the bar a couple of days ago and am waiting for a couple of days off to tear the bike apart.

My concerns are always regarding my modest mechanical abilities. It seems like everytime I work on a bike there something strips, breaks or otherwise sends me to a part shop.

Maybe I missed it but what did you need the taps for?

Thanks for the great pics

Randy
Whoops the taps are for cleaning out the locktite and paint from the threads, will edit now to include that part:rolleyes:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it is much easier to remove the triple this way and its the way we do it at work. Much quicker and easier, the extra weight on the lower clamp wont worry it (as long as you arnt jumping up and down on the bike while its apart or somthing silly;)) if you want you can put somthing under the headers to take some weight off but i wouldnt bother.

I will take some photos this weekend:thumbup:

Your white will look awsome with the painted tripple kazza are you going to have it powdercoated or painted?
The pink thing as a "Magno man" well i think it is had it for years sitting on the toolbox and it now lives on the bike between the headset nut and the handle bars:thumbup:
I like Magno Man LOL

I'm going to powdercoat, not paint. I'm in construction and can access a really good powdercoater really cheaply :D

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Most importantly... where did you get the little pink dude? :D

Edit: Never mind I just reread and saw that you have had it for years... Its funny

Last edited:

Ben_H

Reaction score
Visit site
They are breakaway bolts you can get new ones at dealer or replace with regular bolts. But it will make it easer to steal