aftermarket exhaust measurments

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have been toying with making my own exhaust for my FZ6 and i am looking for some help. Can some of you with after market systems get some measurements of the pipes, length and width, as well as how far apart they sit.

It is hard to get an idea from that lump that Yamaha calls a muffler.

schumacher62

Reaction score
Visit site
heres the top secret factory specs for the leo vince exhaust system, the oval one which most directly fits the 07 bike. hope you can read italian...

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
that is almost good enough, i am assuming that all the numbers are millimeters and all i need to do is convert. thank you tons.

Anyone else have anything?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Give us some more insight to what you are thinking. What kind of materials, what type of silencers, etc? Sounds like a way cool project.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Give us some more insight to what you are thinking. What kind of materials, what type of silencers, etc? Sounds like a way cool project.

Well, since every exhaust i have found for the FZ6 has been crazy expensive i have been looking through the 2800 or so universal silencers on e-Bay. I found this that looks like it might be similar enough that they can easily be modified into the rear of the FZ almost perfectly.

eBay Motors: DUAL MUFFLER EXHAUST PRELUDE S2000 IS300 TC S13 S14 Z33 (item 150219278562 end time Mar-02-08 00:15:35 PST)

in the ad it shows that the canister itself is 12" plus the 3.5" outlet extentions.

From the Diagram that schumacher62 got, the Leo's are 300mm canisters (11.8 inches) so the length should be good, the mount looks like it will be simple enough to mount to the stock mount point with simply welding a vertical piece to the mufflers on the horizontal mount. then it is just getting a pipe to connect it to the bike.

Providing it doesn't look too Ghetto i will have an exhaust for my FZ for under $100.

If it looks horrible then i will just order a real exhaust, but i think it is worth a shot to make it and have something completely custom. I have also been looking at some CF styles but those are not conjoined already, and they also don;t have the 2 into one on the back. These just seem like they are almost ready to go.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It may just work. Being an auto muffler any idea what it might weigh? Another thing to consider the routing of the pipe into the muffler. All of the aftermarket FZ systems I've seen all route to the right hand side of the bike. The "trunk", under the seat is formed around the exhaust pipe. I'm wonder if you will have enough room to make a fairly sharp turn in the exhaust pipe in order to have it line up with the collector on the muffler?

I don't think it will look ghetto at all. It should look pretty clean. The nice thing is you will not need, as HavBlue puts it, "hose-clamps" to hang the mufflers. Like you said its only $100, sounds like fun!

Obviously, we want to see photos as things develop. :Sport:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
good point about the "trunk" I will have to take a look at that, if it seems like it will be an issue then i will just go with the 2 seperate cans of the same size and then make the pipes from the back of the canisters, and do the 2 to 1 in the middle or at the FZ's mid-pipe.

H

HavBlue

I too have been working on this side of getting an exhaust. The bend are a big concern for me as the dual outlet of the stock system is created in the muffler. The aftermarket as shown above is done through the use of an unequal Y and I have heard the left tube is not outputting what the right is. I happen to like the look of the factory back end so no bends for me as it is going straight out the right side at 1.75". A 12" glasspack with a 1.75" ID and 3.5"OD is less than $20 and it can be powder coated for $35. The glasspack can be welded to a piece of stainless steel slip fit tubing for $30 around here. I am however thinking of weight and searching for slip in baffles. Pete had posted the factory exhaust weight of 12lbs. I would like to get the whole thing down under 5lbs. I'm not too concerned about the dbA but I do want quality sound. Now all I need is some warmer weather.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
You could always purchase just the FZ6 'Y pipe' section from one of the aftermarket companies. From there, I'm sure you could then get some reducers or whatever clamps needed to join the mufflers and Y pipe together. If worse came to worse, you could take the whole assembly to a muffle shop for them to fit and/or weld the two together.

firsttimefz

Reaction score
Visit site
has anyone ever heard of somebody transplanting an r6 muffler onto our bike, it's got the same sorta shape, except i think the r6's are a single outlet, i might be wrong, any thoughts?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
has anyone ever heard of somebody transplanting an r6 muffler onto our bike, it's got the same sorta shape, except i think the r6's are a single outlet, i might be wrong, any thoughts?

do mean just taking the canister (or 2 of them) from an r6 exhaust and putting them under the seat or making the bike have a side exhaust? wither way i think there would be a ton of modification involved.

Side mount would require the actual mounting but i think would be fairly easy other than it would detract from the clean look of the undertail and you would also have empty spaces where the undertail would be.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i found some new candidates for the pipes that i think will look awesome and since i will be making all the pipes (Or ordering them from scorpion or something) it will be able to have all the piping to come down the right side of the bike. Only drawback is that they are carbon so they will have the mounting straps instead of having the mount welded to them.

eBay Motors: 2 BLUE CARBON FIBER MUFFLERS & SILENCER TITANIUM TIP (item 360028113244 end time Mar-05-08 15:26:45 PST)

That looks like a better solution, I would guess they are much lighter than the other muffler you'd found. As you stated you'd need a mounting strap. Because you'll be making a hanger perhaps the strap could be mounted more inboard? They will be loud! Is there any kind of db killer, or is the exit a straight shot?

On my Arkos the pipe goes to the right side and there is a junction that then goes to the left muffler. Charlie is correct, the majority of the gases exit on the right side. I was playing around with my db killers, removing one and then the other, and comparing the sound. It is quieter with the right side in and the left removed. You can also feel a pressure difference when you place your palm near the exit.

Another thing to consider is over scavaging. I don't know about the other system, but Arko places an hour glass shaped "cone" (yeah I know, that contradics each other) in the junction between the exit of the CAT and the exhaust pipe to keep the back pressure. The db killers contribute to this effect too. The beauty thing is, you don't have to fiddle with a PC to make it run correctly. Not sure if this is an issue with other aftermarket brands.

With the particular Arko I bought, the only one for an FZ, it is designed for street riding, not track, and they have tuned the exhaust to enhance the mid range. They have a dyno sheet that show a very nice bump and torque in the mid range. Their race specific systems are tuned for the top end and may decrease torque and hp in the mid range.

I can't post any images from this particular PC, but if you follow this link there is a really nice pdf they have on the FZ6 system, and it explains this a bit more and has more nice photos and a so-so diagram. Look under documents.

Motor Exhaust

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have been on the various aftermarket sites all morning and have looked at the akro's web site as well as your pictures that you posted with your install. I e-mailed them for the pricing of the y-pipe, as well as e-mailed scorpion for the same as well as the hanging bracket, in case it is worth me not making it. These do come with DB killers that are removable so it should only be as loud as i want to be.