Good article: Decreasing radius bends

rdrManny

Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday I encountered "sh**-sh**-sh**-sh**-sh** bend" with two lanes (sh**) and cars in both lanes!! I had to slow down to negotiate the bend. Can someone tell me which is best(safe) gear position during such sharp bends?

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good stuff, thanks.

The "red line" is advocated in PACE riding; it allows you to peak around the corner and see what is coming up. It helps cut down on surprises; dogs, sand, cars, boulders, etc.

The other two lines are "racing lines", in other words you want/need to pass someone - late brake and stuff it in.

Another approach is lock up the rear end and flat track it around. Not usually recommended but it can be fun and surprise your buddies. :thumbup:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You mean the green line?

No red, if I remember the picture correctly, because you set up wide. That allows you commit late to the corner, where as if you turn the bike in early your are committed and have less space for error.

Works well for canyon riding if the corners are blind, the red line allow you to look.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
No red, if I remember the picture correctly, because you set up wide. That allows you commit late to the corner, where as if you turn the bike in early your are committed and have less space for error.

Works well for canyon riding if the corners are blind, the red line allow you to look.

Hope the Canyon walls are soft :)

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site

I don't think you remember the picture correctly. Click on the link in the OP and check it out.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site

The first book I read on the subject, Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well refers to that as 'Late Apex Cornering" which is something I practice anytime I can't see all the way through a corner before I enter. It also tends to make 'easy' corners a bit more fun if you like to lean her in a bit. :")

And it is the green line, the red line takes you off the road into the bushes. :)