Rear Tire Repair?

tla723

Reaction score
Visit site
I just replaced the back tire on my '05 FZ6 with a Metzeler Sportec M1 less than 500 miles ago and yesterday found it had gone flat. The offending object was a thin piece of metal about 1/4" x 1" that went in longwise. I'm curious what the general opinion of anyone with firsthand experience on repairing a tire as opposed to replacing it is. On one hand, I hate to see my $150 go down the drain, but then I'd really hate to end up on the hospital too. Any advice is welcome. :confused:

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
As is the case with most things motorcycle related, it's all about how much personal risk you are willing to assume. I've plugged a tire and then rode it for another 2000 miles without any ill effects. A lot of people (including EVERY dealer) will tell you not to patch it, it's not safe. My personal opinion is....it depends. I wouldn't take a plugged tire to the track, but I don't have a problem with standard street riding/commuting on one. If the puncture were a large hole, or were in the side wall it might be a different matter. But a slow leak from a nail or small piece of debris isn't going to cause a catastrophic failure under normal riding conditions. If you are going to do a lot of craziness where the tire is experience unusual stress (heat, abrasive or otherwise) then I'd recommend going ahead and replacing it. If it's been sitting flat all winter, I'd recommend replacing it. If you just caught the nail yesterday and it went flat overnight....go ahead and plug it.

Again, all of this is about how much risk you are willing to assume. If you aren't comfortable with a plugged tire, then get a new one and don't think twice about the money. Peace of mind and confidence on the road are worth far more than $150.

And that's the gospel according to shaggy....now forget what I just wrote and go do whatever the hell you want.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As is the case with most things motorcycle related, it's all about how much personal risk you are willing to assume. I've plugged a tire and then rode it for another 2000 miles without any ill effects. A lot of people (including EVERY dealer) will tell you not to patch it, it's not safe. My personal opinion is....it depends. I wouldn't take a plugged tire to the track, but I don't have a problem with standard street riding/commuting on one. If the puncture were a large hole, or were in the side wall it might be a different matter. But a slow leak from a nail or small piece of debris isn't going to cause a catastrophic failure under normal riding conditions. If you are going to do a lot of craziness where the tire is experience unusual stress (heat, abrasive or otherwise) then I'd recommend going ahead and replacing it. If it's been sitting flat all winter, I'd recommend replacing it. If you just caught the nail yesterday and it went flat overnight....go ahead and plug it.

Again, all of this is about how much risk you are willing to assume. If you aren't comfortable with a plugged tire, then get a new one and don't think twice about the money. Peace of mind and confidence on the road are worth far more than $150.

And that's the gospel according to shaggy....now forget what I just wrote and go do whatever the hell you want.
Nice one Shaggy, I think that what you have said is possibly the most sense you have ever made lol.
I have also rpaired tyres and ridden them until the end of their natural life. Would not touch tire wall though.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have plugged really small holes (nails) but that one sounds like it is a big one (bolt), at the very least if you go forward with the repair dismount the tire and patch it correctly. If you feel like risking it.

I would probably replace the tire if it were me though.

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
Personally I would just replace it. If all you ride is surface streets and never any highway time, then maybe a repair would work. You may have some sort of warranty or road hazard coverage from the tire dealer, or even your insurance company.

S

sportrider

I've plug patched a rear tire before, I wouldn't do it again. yes I got another 800+ miles out of it but the tire started to separate the last day I ride on it. ti started to get two air pockets in between the tread and the carcass. it could have caused a blowout. I felt it tire while I was riding it, it started to cause a bad vibration. luckily I was only a few miles from home. while you may be able to patch it you have to honestly ask yourself if you can restrain yourself from getting a happy right wrist while you are running a may pop.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
check with where you bought it. like stated above you may have road hazard coverage on it. when i bought my bike i declined it but within a few miles i had a screw and i bought a new tire from cycle gear and bought the protection for like twenty bux. now i know that i wont get a screw/nail because im covered! G/L!

H

HavBlue

No.

Superbike Tyres FAQ - motorcycle tyre questions

I lost two tyres on my car because they have a high speed rating. Normal tyre would have been OK.

This is a hot tip and I totally agree with the thinking in that web-site. If this were mine, I would plug the tire just long enough to get it replaced. Any V or Z speed rated tire is built to extremely high tolerances and we do put them through a lot. I take zero chances when it comes to a V or Z speed rated tire on a bike.

tla723

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks

Thanks to everyone who responded. I've concluded that the 1/4" slit in the tire definitely warrants it being replaced as a few cords were probably cut in the process. What makes my decision even easier is the fact that nobody in town will touch the thing due to liability. Road hazard is an excellent idea and I'll definitely look into that for my next purchase. Now I just have to figure out some creative way to make use of a useless perfect tire to make the loss easier to swallow...planter?

PlasticPig

Reaction score
Visit site
Good decision :thumbup:

I picked up a nail a couple of months ago and had a slow puncture, went through the same thoughts a you but in the end decided that it was not worth saving a few dollars and went for a new one.

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
You could start a tyre wall for your own personal racetrack. Might take a while to get the whole thing completed though

I vote we send buggerlugs all our used tyres !! ..... Post ur address mate and lets get that race track built lol :thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I vote we send buggerlugs all our used tyres !! ..... Post ur address mate and lets get that race track built lol :thumbup:
Thats a great idea he has a bloody great big paddock at the back of his house.