Bikes on ferries

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
if it is a decent ferry then you should be fine and they should know what to do to secure it, I go on a ferry on a yearly basis and there are always bikes, they have hooks in the floor and strap the bikes down for the trip.

H

HavBlue

There was a bridge crossing 70 miles down the road. That made for a better trip.....

The pad eyes in the floor of the ferry will secure it in rough waters but let the vessel crew set you up.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Get in touch with the ferry company and ask if they have tie down straps on board, some do some don`t.

If they don`t got to your nearest BMW bike dealer and ask if they have any spare. BMW crate their bikes and strap them in the crate. Their straps are ideal.

When you strap down put the bike on the centre stand as it sits more securely.

I always use 2 straps.

Steve

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I first glanced at this I thought I saw, "Fairies on Bikes"...

H

HavBlue

steveindenmark; When you strap down put the bike on the centre stand as it sits more securely. Steve[/QUOTE said:
Just a thought here. I have found this to be a really bad idea. When a bike is on the center stand or kick stand it creates a sold point and when you encounter bumps and such it wants to scoot on either; especially when it is only strapped at the tree. I generally use the kick stand until I get the bike hooked up both front and rear. Then, before pulling the suspension down I will pull the stand up and drop the suspension to set the bike up for transport. This way, the bike would stay put and they could flip that boat upside down for all I care because the bike will still be there when they drag that ferry back up.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i was also thinking that the center stand was a bad idea since there is nothing to absorb bumps where as when you strap it down using the suspension as offering resistance to the straps.

Canada17

Reaction score
Visit site
Here in British Columbia, Canada we have a ferry system that uses chocks (sp?). Basically large wedges, they tell us to put our bike on the side stand, and wedge the chock on the engine case on the opposite side to prevent it from going that way. They don't sail in waters that are higher than gale force winds. I think there is a link here with more info:

BC Ferries: Frequently Asked Questions

and another link here:

Ferries and the newb rider... - bcsportbikes.com

Good luck!

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have taken bikes across the North Sea in winter on the centre stand without any problems, it gets rough out there.

It works for me.

Steve

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi mate,
I am also looking into this for trips to Ireland. One good bit of advice is. Let them tie your bike down. If it goes over you can claim on their insurance.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi mate,
I am also looking into this for trips to Ireland. One good bit of advice is. Let them tie your bike down. If it goes over you can claim on their insurance.

Your right mate.

But you also end up stuck in Ireland without a rideable bike.

Its my bike...I tie it down.

Steve

rodb

junior, well, hardly ...
Reaction score
Visit site
"Here in British Columbia, Canada we have a ferry system that uses chocks (sp?). Basically large wedges, they tell us to put our bike on the side stand, and wedge the chock on the engine case on the opposite side to prevent it from going that way. They don't sail in waters that are higher than gale force winds.
[/QUOTE]

AND, you get on, first, no matter how long the queue,
AND, you get off first, so the rumble is part of the experience!!:Flip:

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never had the opportunity to take my bike overseas but remember to bring some padding to put under the straps, the ferry will undoubtfully move and damage the bike so use the padding to cut that problem out. Another thing I remember someone saying was to strap the bike down yourself...dont let the staff do it, they wont treat it as well as yourself.

I know there's not much info there but if I remember more i'll let you know.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Expecting some choppy waters now? I did recall seeing a photo a member submitted with some bikes on the back of a ferry.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Your right mate.

But you also end up stuck in Ireland without a rideable bike.

Its my bike...I tie it down.

Steve
V Funny mate, I am serious though. My mum and dad toured Europe on his brand new Triumph Sprint.
My dad didn't trust them to tie it down so he did it. He came back to find a big gouge out of the side panel. Britany Ferries said it was not their problem although they provided the straps. So just consider it?

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for opening an old thread but I'm still not sure how I should strap my bike down. I recently contacted Stena line who run the Hook of Holland - Harwich route (cross channel ferry) and they informed me that I must strap my own bike down, they supply the straps and they have experienced personnel on board who can instruct me how to do it.

Hi mate,

The fact remains that I'm responsible for my own bike.
Has anyone had similar experiences of "how to strap your bike down on a ferry" and whether to use side stand or centre stand. All comments welcome, please help! Thanx

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It looks like this company has the best solution: Speed ferries.

Here's another (honda) forum I found with different idea's

I was personally thinking of using the centre stand and putting a strap squarely across the front of the sadle (there is just enough room between the tank and the pods, I think) and strapping the rear wheel down or use passenger footpegs to strap it on the floor somewhere to the rear, any comments....

Last edited: