Brilliant, not.

H

HavBlue

Am I missing something here because I sure don't see a problem. On many of the motorways around the United States you will find K poles with fencing at the top and to me this is nothing new. The only reason I can see for the accident is because the idiot behind wasn't paying attention to the person in front. Having the barrier there forces drivers to look ahead which minimizes distractions by the cages approaching from the right which leaves them one place to look and this is at your back side although we all know they have plenty of other things like C phones and such to keep them from looking where they should. I think this is a good idea as those drivers on approach should be more worried about what is in front of them as opposed to what has no meaning until they are ready to enter the roundabout. Did anyone happen to notice we were never shown the view from the end of the barrier. Of course not, as this might show there is ample rood to make a safe entry and see oncoming traffic.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the whole point of these barriers is to block the view of oncoming traffic, the intent is that people will be forced to slow down because they can't see whats coming.

I think a stationed officer with a radar gun would be better suited to increase the awareness without reducing the ability to see cars coming.

B

Bo67

I don't see those barriers as a good thing at all.
I drove in England for 7 years and liked being able to glance (scan, not stare) to the right as I approached a roundabout. It allowed me to gauge and adjust my entry speed to traffic coming from the right (kind of what I do on the interstate on-ramps over here).
The view from in the photo might be deceiving and maybe there is enough distance before the roundabout to get a look at traffic from the right but from this view it doesn't look like it.
Some of the towns used to use rumble strips at the roundabout approaches in an effort to slow cars down. Other places used lines painted across the road that had ever decreasing spacing between them to give the visual impression that you were travelling faster than you really were. The idea was that you would slow down because of this.
Just my opinion, but I think the roundabout barrier idea needs a little work.

H

HavBlue

I don't see those barriers as a good thing at all.
I drove in England for 7 years and liked being able to glance (scan, not stare) to the right as I approached a roundabout. It allowed me to gauge and adjust my entry speed to traffic coming from the right (kind of what I do on the interstate on-ramps over here).
The view from in the photo might be deceiving and maybe there is enough distance before the roundabout to get a look at traffic from the right but from this view it doesn't look like it.
Some of the towns used to use rumble strips at the roundabout approaches in an effort to slow cars down. Other places used lines painted across the road that had ever decreasing spacing between them to give the visual impression that you were traveling faster than you really were. The idea was that you would slow down because of this.
Just my opinion, but I think the roundabout barrier idea needs a little work.

So based on the above, what would you do if there were buildings all the way up to the corner and you couldn't see anything until you were within 8' of the roundabout? To me, I could care less what's on that other street as it is meaningless. I'm not in a position where I need to know what's there either. I am however in a position where I need to know what is in front of me and for good reason, what is behind me. I think the barriers will actually make it safer.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Everything we know about safe driving and riding is based on the fact of getting the best possible view as early as possible.

This wall is a bit stupid.

Steve

B

Bo67

So based on the above, what would you do if there were buildings all the way up to the corner and you couldn't see anything until you were within 8' of the roundabout? To me, I could care less what's on that other street as it is meaningless. I'm not in a position where I need to know what's there either. I am however in a position where I need to know what is in front of me and for good reason, what is behind me. I think the barriers will actually make it safer.

Nowhere in England have I seen a building within 8 feet of a roundabout. Come to think of it, nowhere in America have I seen a building within 8 feet of an intersection either (we're not talking residential areas here, we're talking on highways/motorways) so your point seems hypothetical to me. We may both be suffering from a fundemental attribution error in our descriptions so let me clarify:a roundabout is a cross between an intersection and a merge point. If I take your view based on what you wrote then I picture you looking dead-staright ahead at yield signs and merge points (acceleration ramps) until the point of convergence at which point you would either have to stop and look and make sure traffic is clear or take your chances and just go blindly into the traffic hoping no one will hit you. I'm with you on being aware of who's behind and in front of you but you'd better be aware of what can get you from the sides as well. That is why those barricades are not a good idea IMO.