What RPM?

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
So under normal riding conditions, what RPM should I be riding at? I have a feeling thatI'm changing gears too soon and that I should be using more of the rev range. I tend to change gears when the revs are around 4-5K and I don't really normally cruise around over 4k if I'm commuting.

The only exception to this is on the motorway where I cruise anywhere between 7-9K.

If I should use higher revs in city riding I'll never get out of second. Is that just normal?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
depends on how you want to ride, short shifting will definitely help with the fuel consumption so and that is a fine shifting area if you are just cruising around, if you are going for a more aggressive ride and need the acceleration in the turns and for other such things then you would want to have it in the higher revs.

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
I think it depends on what you are doing at the time... it is one of the cool things about the FZ6......multiple personalities

calm cool collected under 6K and wild and crazy above 6K

enjoy them both responsibly:rockon:

H

HavBlue

Much like the R6, the FZ6 ia a rev machine and it flat loves it. Generally speaking I will use 5,000rpm as a minimum shift point but I don't use the tach to determine that minimum. My bike has always had a faint buzz from the underseat exhaust that comes in around 5,200rpm and exits around 5,800rpm. I use this as a gauge. Typically if I am running around town I never get out of third gear as that gear will run comfortably to 50mph all day long.

Short shifting the FZ6 (the cruiser mode) creates it's own set of issues as to me the bike will be sluggish and it will also have a lack of snap in any need for speed scenario simply because it is going to fall on its face. Another issue for me is the transmission which shifts worse than my Harley. I will however say that when the engine is up in any decent rpm range that same transmission operates dead smooth like a fine Swiss watch.

I guess it all boils down to what you want from the machine.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Ok, thanks. Pretty much what I suspected. Basically, I'm not doing it any harm by short shifting and keeping the revs low and I'll probably be improving my gas mileage as well. Sweet. I'll save the high revs for the A roads and those times I need to beat some wanker off the line at a light. :)

H

HavBlue

Ok, thanks. Pretty much what I suspected. Basically, I'm not doing it any harm by short shifting and keeping the revs low and I'll probably be improving my gas mileage as well. Sweet. I'll save the high revs for the A roads and those times I need to beat some wanker off the line at a light. :)

Keep in mind that low rpm doesn't necessarily mean you will get better gas mileage as efficiency does change with rpm. An example of this would be cruising down the road at around 60-65mph where the bike will likely hit above 50mpg however, cruising around town it will never see that kind of mileage and you have never been anywhere near the rpm you were running on the road. Yes, stop and go does factor into this but so does shifting and load characteristics. The key to higher mileage is finding out where your bike runs most efficient under all conditions that you ride. After numerous tanks of fuel and recorded mileage data you will know where you need to be and how you need to ride to achieve your goal.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for posting this thread mate.
I have been wondering for a while where I should be for just cruising along. I genrally short shift all the way to 6th. I find that during rush hour I have plenty of time to knock down a few gears if I need to FRO.
I agree with HavBlue, at low speeds the gear box is a bit agricultural.

Neil

H

HavBlue

Just a thought here folks: I have thought for some time that riders on bikes like the FZ6 equate sound to rpm and a need to shift. On many bikes this would be true as it is generally a good idea to shift when the engine is screaming. However, when the bikes like the FZ6 sound like they are screaming they are actually no where near a point where you have to shift or for that matter need to shift. Short shifting isn't bad or good unless it is done in a manner that causes the engine to lug around and that is bad as it is hard on it.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
shifting isn't bad or good unless it is done in a manner that causes the engine to lug around and that is bad as it is hard on it.

Hi Charlie,

I agree, i only short shift if im making progress. one of the things I love about the FZ6 is that the standard exhaust is so quite. Once you hit 7000rpm the sleeping giant wakes.
Riding in slow traffic I am usually in second to take advantage of the motors exceleration to hit gaps and maintain better balance by using the engine torque.
I have also found that with my short commute I have a very negligable difference in tank range weather I stay in the high revs or short shift.
As you have said previously the FZ6 has avery versitile motor,

H

HavBlue

Hi Charlie,

I agree, I only short shift if i'm making progress. one of the things I love about the FZ6 is that the standard exhaust is so quite. Once you hit 7000rpm the sleeping giant wakes. Riding in slow traffic I am usually in second to take advantage of the motors acceleration to hit gaps and maintain better balance by using the engine torque. I have also found that with my short commute I have a very negligible difference in tank range weather I stay in the high revs or short shift. As you have said previously the FZ6 has a very versatile motor,

Very true and while I agree the FZ6 can operate at lower rpm it is important to understand when it needs help and when it is time to gear down. Short shifting won't hurt but it needs to be understood and quite often I think folks push it too far. In the swollen traffic filled streets of the city I also feel it can leave the rider vulnerable as that twist of the wrist won't have anything behind it hence the reason I, like you, keep that thing loaded up and ready. You just never know when you will need to pull that trigger and the time it takes to shift down 1 or 2 gears may be the difference between getting hit and being gone....

outkast

Reaction score
Visit site
I tend to keep the bike reving at 5000 minimum,around town i keep it in 2nd 3rd.that way you have instant power if needed,to get out of trouble.Any lower down the revs and its really to suggish.

H

HavBlue

I tend to keep the bike reving at 5000 minimum,around town i keep it in 2nd 3rd.that way you have instant power if needed,to get out of trouble.Any lower down the revs and its really to suggish.

That's exactly the way I feel. Keep it primed and ready. Ya just can't shoot a gun if it ain't loaded first.....

Philoz

Reaction score
Visit site

Perryn, you hit the nail on the head. The stock exhaust allows the bike to blend in whilst keeping revs much higher than you may feel comfortable doing with a loud pipe. Higher revs are better for bike balance (engine acts like a gyro) and keeping the 'bullet in the gun' as HavBlue puts it for those breakaway moments.

It's taken a bit of time to get used to the FZ6, but it really is a bike that wants to be high in the revs - everything just works better when you are at 6000-12000 :D

H

HavBlue

It's taken a bit of time to get used to the FZ6, but it really is a bike that wants to be high in the revs - everything just works better when you are at 6000-12000 :D

This is so true. The FZ6 can be a real sleeper and we all know it will operate in the lower rpm ranges but we also know not to expect much down there too. I feel it's safe to say a rider could have fun with an FZ6 and never get over 8,000rpm. By the same token, they don't begin to know what they are missing. The differences between riding the FZ6 like some grocery getter and the thoroughbred that it is are huge.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
I dont really know what rpm i am cruising in all the time, I do know the motor is a lot happier at higher revs.

Pretty much the same thing everyone else said before me.

idanny

Reaction score
www.minutehound.com
to the people that have changed out the stock exhaust does the bike feel different, in terms of the throttle response, with the stock exhaust the throttle feels a bit strange. The bike seems like its sorta congested sometimes.

H

HavBlue

The bike seems like its sorta congested sometimes.

The FZ6 is much like the R6 in that it is quite spirited. It will run at lower throttle settings and RPM levels but it's not happy until it gets twisted up. At times when that throttle is under 4-5,000 rpm it can actually seem almost anemic. Crank that puppy up there and you'll think you're riding Secretariat and heading off to win the Triple Crown. The FZ6 is a rev machine and above 9,000rpm it lives quite well.

rzekry

Reaction score
Visit site
Judging by this forum most FZ6 riders seem to naturally shift between 4000 and 5000rpm. I'm also one of them.

The bike is a lot smoother beyond the 6000rpm range.
It's happier ridden hard I guess.

Don't we love our FZ6s!