Props for the fuel tank.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Mad props, yo!

I don't like having to tie the tank the the rear of the bike to hold it up. And I can't picture myself ever doing this on the side of a highway to fix a problem with the bike. (As if my motorcycle would EVER break down on me.)

So, some 1/4" aluminum rod from Lowe's, some welding, some lathing and some polishing with steel wool produces these.

watermark.php

They're 12" long before I put the bend into the end. I made two of them, although one is strong enough to hold up a full tank.

They will fit into the underseat storage with ease!

watermark.php

Here's some action shots of them in use.

watermark.php

watermark.php

I tested it, and there's enough room under the tank to get in with the stock screwdriver and remove the airbox top.

watermark.php

I used aluminum because it's light and won't corrode, but you could just as easily use steel, stainless, etc.

Fred

Last edited:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Now that is smart! So...how about making up a batch for a group order??? Put me down for a set as I don't have a welder or know how to use one.

PS - you should pattent it and then show them to Yamaha!!

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thats a very good idea, my question is if they could be made longer? It doesn't look like you get as much access as possibly under there. Maybe it is just the pics though, is there enough room to get under there?

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
They could be made longer, that's just a matter of cutting the aluminum stock to a longer length. The limiting factor is the ability to fit them in the tray under the seat. They could probably go as long as 16" and still fit.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd take a set as well. What a great idea! :)
IMHO, with two rods supporting the tank, a 16" length should still be strong enough.
Oh...edited to add: Don't forget to add a surcharge for anyone who doesn't own a faster red one.:Flip::p

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
good work Fred! If the longer ones won't fit under the seat could we attach them under the tail section somehow? maybe add a simple bracket for that?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice Fred! :thumbup: Much better than straps through the grab rails.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
OK, I've got some numbers here.

I had to rethink the design and come up with something that I could mass produce easily. I think I've got that worked out.

I think I can do them for $30 a set. That covers material, shipping and packaging, with some left over to cover consumables like bandsaw blades, argon and filler rod for the welder, and some compensation for my time.

I'm planning to make ten sets of the 16" versions. From that, I estimate that I'll make $90 in profit. Given that I expect to spend a minimum of ten hours of time putting these together, that's not a lot.

If you're interested in buying and you're happy with paying that price, pm me and I'll add you to the list. Don't send any money yet though. Spring Break is coming up and I'm not going to start on this until after.

Fred

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, I've got some numbers here.

I had to rethink the design and come up with something that I could mass produce easily. I think I've got that worked out.

I think I can do them for $30 a set. That covers material, shipping and packaging, with some left over to cover consumables like bandsaw blades, argon and filler rod for the welder, and some compensation for my time.

I'm planning to make ten sets of the 16" versions. From that, I estimate that I'll make $90 in profit. Given that I expect to spend a minimum of ten hours of time putting these together, that's not a lot.

If you're interested in buying and you're happy with paying that price, pm me and I'll add you to the list. Don't send any money yet though. Spring Break is coming up and I'm not going to start on this until after.

Fred
Nice one Fred, good luck with your venture.

Neil