Irish Rider moving to PA. Should I bring my bike?

bigred

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there
I'll be moving from Ireland to PA (near King of Prussia) with my job in the next few months. I'm trying to figure out should I keep the bike or sell it before leaving. Is there many people riding in this region? Are there any good driving routes in the area? Are there decent bike shops for accessories and garages that can do servicing? Will I spend my days being harassed by the police?

I come from a country where lane-splitting/filtering is very much allowed. Is it completely forbidden, or is a blind eye turned to it if you're just rolling gently up a queue of stationary traffic?? Being able to filter was one of the reasons I got a bike as the commute is a lot shorter when you don't need to queue.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

FZ-B

Reaction score
Visit site
Im about an hour from KoP. Not a bad place, traffic in the area is no picnic, but it's a short hop from some nice riding roads. Investigate living in West Chester, it's a short hop away and sits on nice roads. Good amount of riders local, and you'll have the Ephrata breakfast run once a month to help meet some fellow riders.

Can't say much for PA inspection, but here in Delaware I don't think there would be any issues with a euro bike as the only thing they do for inspection here is test brakes, lights and how loud your exhaust is.

If your attached to it you may want to haul it over, but as been said, they sell pretty cheap over here.

bigred

Reaction score
Visit site
Im about an hour from KoP. Not a bad place, traffic in the area is no picnic, but it's a short hop from some nice riding roads. Investigate living in West Chester, it's a short hop away and sits on nice roads. Good amount of riders local, and you'll have the Ephrata breakfast run once a month to help meet some fellow riders.

Can't say much for PA inspection, but here in Delaware I don't think there would be any issues with a euro bike as the only thing they do for inspection here is test brakes, lights and how loud your exhaust is.

If your attached to it you may want to haul it over, but as been said, they sell pretty cheap over here.

I'm fairly familiar with that area. I always take trip to Targetmaster just on the Delaware border when I'm over and do a bit of shootin' :D.
I'll check out the PA inspection specs, but this is just a stock Fazer, so probably no issues.

bleedblue

Reaction score
Visit site
I live about 15 min from the PA boarder in NY I love going down to PA and riding alot of curvy roads to go on. plus you will love the mountains. But also as an Irish guy living in The USA if you need Help moving I am willing to come to Ireland if you wanna send a plane ticket:)

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't sell your bike!! KoP is a little congested but an hour or two north of there up into the Pocono Mountains you'll find some beautiful riding.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
importing a vehicle is a far different from a State safety inspection....
you should do your homework carefully before shipping it, if it is not
on a list of vehicles proven by the manufacturer to be in compliance,
you'll need a declaration from Yamaha that it is, and that's not easy to get,
just because there's a similar model sold here doesn't automatically mean
it will be listed, chances are you'll be fine but check it out first

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As couple of posters earlier said, before trying to bring your bike in, make sure it meets US specs. Some do, but, many don't (even US bikes that are exported). If you can easily verify that it meets US specs (it will have a sticker on it from the manufacturer that says so), bring it over, otherwise, sell it. I faced the very same situation way back when I came back permanently from Europe and I ended up selling mine instead of dealing with all the headaches.

As for riding, there are plenty of places to ride up and down the cost and into the middle of the country. There are no shortages of roads here. ;)

Pa fz6

100 miles and runnin'
Reaction score
Visit site
Irish, did you ever make it to KOP? I live about 1 1/2 west and the roads in the middle of Pennsylvania are great. The mountains are also some amazing riding.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love Ireland, let me know if you ride down towards Pittsburgh or WV.

I would just sell your bike and buy one when you get here, there are tons of great places to ride and it is easy to find good bikes for cheap. I bought my 2008 fz6 last year with a little over 1000 miles on it for $3800 including saddlebags, helmet, etc.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love Ireland, let me know if you ride down towards Pittsburgh or WV.

I would just sell your bike and buy one when you get here, there are tons of great places to ride and it is easy to find good bikes for cheap. I bought my 2008 fz6 last year with a little over 1000 miles on it for $3800 including saddlebags, helmet, etc.

LOL.. original post is a year old :BLAA: