Finally layed the bike down :-(

ShadowChillaGin

Reaction score
Visit site
What I learned today....

Watch out for parking lots that dip down then back up onto the road..
was coming out of the parking lot and in a right hand slight turn as I did and when I got to the dip it threw the bike to the left where there was a center median curb and was unable to pull the bike back to the road fast enough and hit the curb parallel to it and was thrown down...Slow crash...fast reality check..
I knew some type of crash on a bike was inevitable so thats what I follow the ATGATT rule!! glad I did too!! felt my head hit and it only scuffed the face shield...but is the helmet technically junk now?? any thoughts?
got a couple rashes on my knees ( and I did have the pants on!!) as well as a sore left hand and dime size hole on the left shoulder of the jacket...not to mention the pride being hurt...lol....

So is my helmet junk??

so let this be yet another lesson!! ATGATT!!!!!! its not that hard people! I know a couple buddies who refuse to where anything but the helmet...oh well..their loss!!

So...tomorrow after work a friend is coming over to do the 15T sprocket change (like I need it after that right?? yeah yeah yeah..) and he is gonna help me assess the total situation..

Just venting about my stupidity..thanks for listening!!
ATGATT PEOPLE!!! it helps even at slow speeds!!

Justin

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for posting, a reminder to all of us that we are human. Reality check!

As far as the helmet, if you think that the impact was hard enough that your head has compressed against the inner impact absorbing liner thats usaually about an inch thick, it's toast.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're ok!
This may help:

Arai

Free Inspection Service, With $10 Return Shipping Fee.

Send to:
Inspection
Arai Helmets
P.O. Box 9485
Daytona, FL 32120
(386) 441-6592

Bell

Free Inspection Service

Call Lee Jason at (714) 670-0419 to arrange an inspection.

Shoei

Free Inspection Service.

Inspection takes up to three days and the helmet is returned via UPS ground with a letter of explanation and recommendation.

Send to:
Shoei Safety Helmet Corp.
Attn: Inspections
3002 Dow Ave. Suite 128
Tustin, CA 92780
(909) 520-0500

Suomy

Free Inspection Service.

Send to:
Gearbox International
(950) Gilman St. Suite 800
Berkeley, CA 94710
(800) 799-9444
I'd call before just sending the helmet in. If you do decide to get it inspected, let us know how it works out!

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm glad you're ok.

Well, I had a close call today:
I took a long right-turn ramp, from I95 with some speed, and the one thing they keep on telling you at the MSF class "look where you want to go"!!!!!! I overlooked at the left edge of the ramp (double checking how much room I had) and I realized I was not able to turn right as much as I wanted/needed and kept on getting closer and closer to the left edge of the ramp!!!!!! There were no cars near me and I was able to slow down before running out of room. Nothing happened but after this, my feet got cold, so I realized indeed it was a close call!!!!!!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm glad you're ok.

Well, I had a close call today:
I took a long right-turn ramp, from I95 with some speed, and the one thing they keep on telling you at the MSF class "look where you want to go"!!!!!! I overlooked at the left edge of the ramp (double checking how much room I had) and I realized I was not able to turn right as much as I wanted/needed and kept on getting closer and closer to the left edge of the ramp!!!!!! There were no cars near me and I was able to slow down before running out of room. Nothing happened but after this, my feet got cold, so I realized indeed it was a close call!!!!!!

We also tell you to slow down first! Cornering judgement.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
We also tell you to slow down first! Cornering judgement.

Indeed!!!!!!! Thank you :thumbup:

As there were no cars nearby, I wanted to take that turn a little faster than normal but not to the point of pushing my limits. It did not work out as I wanted as I kept on looking at the left edge of the road :spank:

I'm happy the learn a new lesson without any consequences. If I had pushed my limits, it would have been a very different story!!!!!

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
Should have posted this in the Hall of Shame section lol ;)

I'm waiting for my first time...I hope it's as minor as yours was. Glad to hear you and the bike are okay!

ADVdrming

Superstar
Reaction score
Visit site
What I learned today....

Glad you're okay dude. Regarding the helmet, I have a couple friends who swear by replacing the helmet if there was any impact to it. I would recommend checking out some new helmets, especially with the cleareance prices you get on good ones like Shoei RF1000 and such.

ATGATT :thumbup:

ShadowChillaGin

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I talked to a few people and had a few people look at it and they all say its ok...the only scratches on the helmet are on the visor itself and very small chip off the paint below the visors scuffs...as for the bike.. the left frame slider did its job..bent up alittle, the stator cover took some more scuffs, the front left fork took a few scuffs, the kick stand took a little rash...nothing major.....

Thanks for the support all!! I am ok!! lol...bruised ego is all! lol...chalk it up to experience I guess!!! Biggest lesson of all for me is be FULLY aware of the road!! lol...
I really need to get my A$$ into that darn course!! lol... Also been talking with a friend who does alot of track riding and he is gonna help me get some track time in at a "local" track..Brainerd,MN Race Way..

ATGATT!!!

I'll try to get some pics if I ever get a chance...if not....Its all good!!

Jarad

U Don't Fit on Back
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn man, that sucks... :jawdrop:

Doesn't sound to bad beyond ego busting so I guess thats good... Thats why frame sliders are one of the best investments...

Anyway, another MN FZ6 rider saying hello... and keep getting better...

:Lurking:

joe1971

Reaction score
Visit site
Damn! sorry about you goin down.

As far as the lid is concerned, I say replace it, if it takes an impact with your 10# melon in it the foam liner has been compressed so it's compromised, there's no need for you to compromise your safety even further to save a few bucks on a terminal piece of safety equipment.

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you and the bike made it out relatively unscathed/with minor scratches. Now is a good time to get a new helmet. Send the other and get it checked out. If they say it's fine, now you have two.

Two is one and one is none. That extra helmet (either) is now a back up you can use to rotate helmets (for cleaning, day or night rides (without changing the visor), give one time to air out, etc.)

Take care.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Glad to hear you and the bike made it out relatively unscathed/with minor scratches. Now is a good time to get a new helmet. Send the other and get it checked out. If they say it's fine, now you have two.

Two is one and one is none. That extra helmet (either) is now a back up you can use to rotate helmets (for cleaning, day or night rides (without changing the visor), give one time to air out, etc.)

Take care.

That's very good advice..... if you have a spare, even a slightly used one, there's a world more opportunity to share riding with someone else.

Any bucket beats no bucket at all; the bike owner takes the most abused helmet and has the guest use the best helmet in the house. All the trust has to go on the rider; so their being even slightly more exposed is most likely to increase the safety margin for both.:cheer:

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
The looks on the outside of a hemet can be decieving the damage is on the inside and harder to tell from just looking at it. I would throw my vote into getting a new one and keeping the other as a back up. I've heard you should replace a helmet if you've dropped it off the back seat or handle bar, where people like to set it then have it fall off. I've changed my favorite place to hang my helmet to the rear foot pegs because it's harder for it to fall off and it's closer to the ground but not so much that I'd have to reach down to far for it.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Shadow, those "gutters" are what gave me my drop too, 'cept instead of hitting a curb I stalled the engine, and was first day on my first set of new tires (the old ones were badly squared off). Put a neat hole in my left leg. Glad you're okay!

mdd770

Reaction score
Visit site
I had some major wobbles a few times coming out of the driveway. Seems the cables near the speedo that come thru that circular metal bracket to hold them together was binding somehow and actually prevented me from steering. I had it happen once or twice and couldnt figure out why I couldnt turn. Then when I discovered the problem, I fixed that like yesterday. So happy I fixed it before it got me in serious trouble. I dont know why it only happened then.