Aftermarket exhausts

S

stevew

has anyone fitted an aftermarket exhaust, Scorpion, or similar? Is it a simple swap or are there complications..?

(complications? I sound like a Doctor!) :D

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have any YET but, I've seen and heard some different types on YouTube.com and they look and sound cool. The only reason why I don't have any yet is because I can't justify paying a thousand bucks on slip-on pipes when I only paid $7,125.00 for the whole bike. LOL;)

bike10

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 Baffle-ectomy

FZ6 Baffle-ectomy
Just a note regarding FZ6 exhausts. For those who like the factory look, like I do, I thought I’d share a possible option with you. I saw a post two days ago regarding stock muffler modifications and decided to perform the operation myself as well. I am not beyond my break-in miles yet (328 as of now), so I have not yet experienced the complete potential of the bike and would not notice a loss or gain in power from this modification.

My whole purpose was not for power gain. I just couldn’t stand the fact that this bike sounded like a 600cc Singer sewing machine and I too liked the factory look a lot! I don’t like the fact that the aftermarket pipes stick so far out and if I wanted a more powerful bike, I would have just got the R6. So with the whole point being that an FZ6 is just an FZ6, I chose the path to a louder exhaust only.

I did design a strait pipe set up first since the CAT acts like a small muffler and the exhaust system has so many bends, the noise volume would not have been too much. That idea was shelved when I figured how much work it would have taken to fabricate mounting brackets for the system and the exhaust cover (again, factory look).

The operation took place on the bottom of the muffler to avoid all the mounting tabs on the top. I used a rotary (Dremel) tool and stone blades (29) to make a thin cut (makes easier welding). I cut a rectangle approximately 2/3 of the bottom, cutting through one of the baffles and around two of the spot welds. I cut squares around each of the spot welds to pull off the outer skin and left the inner perforated skin for the blow torch.

I was lucky enough the have a friend who’s back yard looks like the cable show Junk Yard Wars. He has anything and everything to make ANYTHING. So the blow torch and TIG welding were done at his place. This brought the cost down considerably.

The muffler is designed just like a car muffler with three chambers and two baffles. It reminded me of the inside of a BOSE subwoofer. The exhaust enters chamber #1 and is transferred to chamber #3 and then back to the middle chamber #2 and then out your twin exhaust tubes.

We started by using the cutting torch to remove the perforated inner skin where I had made my cuts and then cut out the first baffle and tubes and then the second baffle and tubes so that it was one big empty muffler can. Once that was done he cannibalized the parts I had cut around to fill in the wholes on the outer skin and weld the cut pieces back in. we used that same outer skin to seal up the muffler. This was about a 90 minute weld job. That fact alone makes it expensive, but still cheaper than a set of pipes. We reused the original muffler skin, so it looks a bit factory with a surgery scar.

The completed job looks good and the bike has a unique sound. It is not nearly as loud as after market pipes. The sound is a cross between a muzzy, a two-stroke bike and an F1 car. I know that statement sounds crazy, but the sound is unique. And the sound is very cool!! It works well for Orange County beach riders since Newport Beach police like to give a lot of tickets for loud exhausts.

I have pictures in my TREO phone, but can’t get them to download into my computer, so if you want pictures, I’ll have to send them via cell phone for now.

As a note, my friend is a certified welder and on the side makes patented metal work and fabrication for off road trucks, buggies and bikes. This means he will do the mod for anybody interested, but for approximately $150.00 (you bring him the muffler). If you live in the So. Cal. area, let me know. You can even look at and hear my bike in person to see if you like it.

Bike10

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I plan on purchasing a set of Two Brothers M2 VALE Carbon pipes at the end of June (as long as my bonus comes thru!!) from Bayside Performance in Vancouver.

I am jealous Boneman. Those are the pipes I would get too!

Something tells me if I spent that kind of money on my bike, my wife might feel compelled to remove a different kind of pipe I already have :eek:

SOUTHERNFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Pipes

Has anyone seen the laser quad pipes? I looked at a set on there website, they are bad a**. The problem is I can't find anyone that I can buy them from.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
FZ6 Baffle-ectomy
Just a note regarding FZ6 exhausts. For those who like the factory look, like I do, I thought I’d share a possible option with you. I saw a post two days ago regarding stock muffler modifications and decided to perform the operation myself as well. I am not beyond my break-in miles yet (328 as of now), so I have not yet experienced the complete potential of the bike and would not notice a loss or gain in power from this modification.

My whole purpose was not for power gain. I just couldn’t stand the fact that this bike sounded like a 600cc Singer sewing machine and I too liked the factory look a lot! I don’t like the fact that the aftermarket pipes stick so far out and if I wanted a more powerful bike, I would have just got the R6. So with the whole point being that an FZ6 is just an FZ6, I chose the path to a louder exhaust only.

I did design a strait pipe set up first since the CAT acts like a small muffler and the exhaust system has so many bends, the noise volume would not have been too much. That idea was shelved when I figured how much work it would have taken to fabricate mounting brackets for the system and the exhaust cover (again, factory look).

The operation took place on the bottom of the muffler to avoid all the mounting tabs on the top. I used a rotary (Dremel) tool and stone blades (29) to make a thin cut (makes easier welding). I cut a rectangle approximately 2/3 of the bottom, cutting through one of the baffles and around two of the spot welds. I cut squares around each of the spot welds to pull off the outer skin and left the inner perforated skin for the blow torch.

I was lucky enough the have a friend who’s back yard looks like the cable show Junk Yard Wars. He has anything and everything to make ANYTHING. So the blow torch and TIG welding were done at his place. This brought the cost down considerably.

The muffler is designed just like a car muffler with three chambers and two baffles. It reminded me of the inside of a BOSE subwoofer. The exhaust enters chamber #1 and is transferred to chamber #3 and then back to the middle chamber #2 and then out your twin exhaust tubes.

We started by using the cutting torch to remove the perforated inner skin where I had made my cuts and then cut out the first baffle and tubes and then the second baffle and tubes so that it was one big empty muffler can. Once that was done he cannibalized the parts I had cut around to fill in the wholes on the outer skin and weld the cut pieces back in. we used that same outer skin to seal up the muffler. This was about a 90 minute weld job. That fact alone makes it expensive, but still cheaper than a set of pipes. We reused the original muffler skin, so it looks a bit factory with a surgery scar.

The completed job looks good and the bike has a unique sound. It is not nearly as loud as after market pipes. The sound is a cross between a muzzy, a two-stroke bike and an F1 car. I know that statement sounds crazy, but the sound is unique. And the sound is very cool!! It works well for Orange County beach riders since Newport Beach police like to give a lot of tickets for loud exhausts.

I have pictures in my TREO phone, but can’t get them to download into my computer, so if you want pictures, I’ll have to send them via cell phone for now.

As a note, my friend is a certified welder and on the side makes patented metal work and fabrication for off road trucks, buggies and bikes. This means he will do the mod for anybody interested, but for approximately $150.00 (you bring him the muffler). If you live in the So. Cal. area, let me know. You can even look at and hear my bike in person to see if you like it.

Bike10

Or you can just spend $5 and get a 12" long, 1/4" Masonary drill bit from Home Depot and drill down the exhaust openings into the baffels. One or 2 holes each side and your done. Works just the same and also looks "factory" for a heck of a lot less. Lots of FZ6 owners have done it: http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8831&highlight=drilling+exhaust

Last edited:

SOUTHERNFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Exhaust

Hey Boneman I read the site that you put down and are they talking about just drilling one small hole right down each pipe? Not though the outer casing o fthe muffler right. ( That would be dumb ) How deep? I just don't have the money right now for a set of cans and I don't want to screw anything up. I thought that the discription was alittle vague , or it might just be me.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Hey Boneman I read the site that you put down and are they talking about just drilling one small hole right down each pipe? Not though the outer casing o fthe muffler right. ( That would be dumb ) How deep? I just don't have the money right now for a set of cans and I don't want to screw anything up. I thought that the discription was alittle vague , or it might just be me.

If you search SBN FZ6 forums a bit more there are a few other, more in depth threads about drilling..even with pics.

But yeah, just drill down into the opening of the exhaust, on each side. The reason for getting a long bit is that the baffles are a way in. Basically just keep drilling untill you feel the bit finish drilling through the ceramic baffle.

Not really much to mess up other than no going back once you've done it! ;)

bike10

Reaction score
Visit site
FX6 Exhaust Mod

Drilling holes has been done. I have seen some threads on it. It is not the same. The sound would be very different and I don't know if the flow characteristics would be the same. The Baffle-ectomy is just a Satuday job and makes a lot of difference. If anyone is thinking of drilling holes, they can just look at the muffler and they will notice where the baffles are by the indentations that run the diameter of the muffler. There are two.

I did this on my Bandit 1200 and it sounded like an exhaust leek. Opening the FZ6 muffler up and cutting out the baffles and tubes helps eliminate noise reduction, gives a can sound and also cutting the exhaust tubes as short as possible inside the muffler will increase flow much better than just drilling holes into one of the baffles. You can always try it and if you don't like it, just gut the puppy (you will be very happy).

This procedure will make it much louder, but because of the turns, Catalytic converter and lack of direct flow it is not quite as loud as the after market pipes, but you retain the stock look, which was my primary goal. The throaty sound is between 4,000 and 5,900 rpm and it gets higher with the revs. As much as this is a high rpm bike I just don't take it up beyond 8,900 rpm due to traffic and speed restrictions here in So. Cal.

Last edited:
S

sportrider

I'm too afraid to drill out my stock exhaust, it does get louder once there are some miles on it. if I did purchase a slipon I'd go for the two brothers.

W

wrightme43

If I get one it will be the lazer four pipe job. That looks trick.

red raven

Reaction score
Visit site
Scorpions

I just put on a pair of scorpions and they sound great!!! I highly recommend them!! They took about two hours to put on. The job was fairly simple. Well worth the 450 price!!!

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Jus a heads up for all us Canucks.....

Might as well take advantage of the low US dollar and order from the US while it is cheap!

I am no longer going to order my Two Bros from Bayside in Vancouver as another SBN member pointed out iMotorcycle Store - Home to me and their great pricing on the Carbon Two Bros!!! Only $787.95 US!!!!

iMotorcycle Store - View All - Two Brothers Slip-Ons / Bolt-Ons - M2 V.A.L.E. Slip-Ons - Yamaha

I called iMotorcyclestore.com. The guy said they ship to Canada all the time and it's only $10 for shipping (free in the US for orders over $100) and I have my choice of UPS of USPS!!!

So...$797.95 USD = $852.183 CAD!!! Just saved me a whack of cash instead of $1,300 CAD at Bayside!!

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just ordered Scorpions (same as Red Raven) for my bike. I am excited. Just couldn't bring myself to even consider spending more money (pretty much any other pipe available).

I considered the carbon fiber but after looking at some pix on sbn I think the stainless contrast against the black frame is really nice. (OK by me since they are $50 less than the CF).

Boneman - You will have the pipes I originally wanted, but after listening to some before/after on our bike with the Scorpions, I am sure I will find a way to be happy with them.

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
UPS tracking confirms my pipes just checked in at Vernon, CA from MN.

On schedule for delivery tomorrow.

Do you think I am excited :D

You know what I will be doing tomorrow after work!

:Sport:

W

wrightme43

Woooo!!!!
Congrats man. That will be fun.

You could hang out in the garage, burn some patcholli, eat some organic soy nuts, and wrench.

(disclaimer)
The above poster is not a hippy. I am just giving a hard time.

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Woooo!!!!
Congrats man. That will be fun.

You could hang out in the garage, burn some patcholli, eat some organic soy nuts, and wrench.

How did you know my plans?

I don't have a garage, I live in the forest. But I have some tools I keep in my tent.

LOL :thumbup:

Look I shaved, you can't call me a hippie anymore!