MY July Vacation

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
I talked about it last year, but this year I am going to make it a reality. My son is in the Army and currently lives in Kentucky. My plan is to leave NY on July 2nd - arrive in Kentucky on the 3rd or 4th. I will visit with my son and daughter in law for a couple of days and then ride to NC and Deals Gap (YES!). From there I will ride the Blue Ridge Parkway to Skyline Drive and arrive in Baltimore, MD for a business conference July 9th to 11th. I plan to be home by 11:59 pm on the 11th.

I am still early in the planning stages, I have (just enough) vacation time I can take so that isn't a problem. My biggest concerns are severe weather and mechanical problems. I can't do much about the weather but am considering signing up for some kind of road assistance program before I leave. Any suggestions?

I started planning a route on Google Map and attached the link below. I would love to get a GPS but since I have to replace my helmet and boots that is not going to happen. Fortunately I am really good at reading a map. :thumbup:

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thanks!

Troy, NY to Troy, NY - Google Maps

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like a nice trip, Cheryl!! Too bad you won't be coming through St Louis, or we could show you around and offer a bed! Have a safe trip!
Caladin would be a good person to talk to about preparing for it.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
tank bag and a power port for charging your phone/ipod/whatever. I wired one myself that plugs into my battery tender lead and I just lay it in my tankbag to charge whatever. It is SUPER handy and waterproof when I put the tank bag's rain cover on.

Sounds like a good ride! Have fun!

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
I do have the AMA roadside assistance and thankfully have not yet had to use it. It does just cover towing up to 35 miles I believe but it is for all of your vehicles. There are a whole other slew of benefits that members get with the AMA. It's not a bad organization to belong to either. They are constantly fighting for our right to ride on and off the road. (Plus you get a not so bad magazine every month)

Keep us in the loop on the ride and take lots of pics. Ride safe! :thumbup:

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
I would love to get a GPS but since I have to replace my helmet and boots that is not going to happen.

You should be able to pick up a TomTom 130 or similar GPS for less than $100. Not a full-featured waterproof motorcycle-specific unit, but it will tell you where to go. If it looks like rain, pack it up or put a ziplock bag over it.

Good luck!