Getting a UK licence: Insurance difficults for an Aussie

Wombat1940

Have bike, will travel
Reaction score
drop.io
I have brother who is shortly going overseas to the UK. He has bought a bike in the UK to use while he is there. (Keeping it at son's place and he also has a full Aussie License). However he is having trouble getting a riding license to use with it in the UK. The problem is getting insurance which is a mandatory requirement for the gaining of any license. They won't take an Aussie:(. American's yes ...... even though they drive on the other side of the road, but not an Aussie.

He surely can't be the first Aussie to face this problem, so what have overs done?

Does anyone know how he can get a 3 months UK license so he can ride legally while there?
Thanks.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Would they recognize an International Driver's license?

How does Eidleweiss manage touring in the alps for customers from all over the world?

Wombat1940

Have bike, will travel
Reaction score
drop.io
Yes thanks for that. My brother is turning over ever stone to resolve to problem, which including me posting here. He's even got 'bike agents in the UK hoping he can get an answer. He's ringing the RAC tonight. Stay tune.

EDIT: I've given him my User Name and Password so he can now post himself. I will also watch with interest.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I spent 13 months in England and Europe, back in 1988, touring around on a bike.....i had zero problems, i just went to the RAA in South Australia, and ghot myself an International Drivers License, for both Car & Bike, and bought a bike when i got there....with Tax Disc sorted by the Bike shop i got the bike from....

I think an International Drivers license is the key.

:thumbup:

Wombat1940

Have bike, will travel
Reaction score
drop.io
I spent 13 months in England and Europe, back in 1988, touring around on a bike.....i had zero problems, i just went to the RAA in South Australia, and ghot myself an International Drivers License, for both Car & Bike, and bought a bike when i got there....with Tax Disc sorted by the Bike shop i got the bike from....

I think an International Drivers license is the key.

:thumbup:

thanks for reply. i may have misled you. i have a international license but urance on a suzuki bandit i own in england so i can get a current tax disc.so far NO english comp is willing to cover the bike as you need to be a resident in england for the previous 12 months. ive tried about a dozen mpanys so far all say the same thing, no cover unless youve been there the previous 12 months.

Wombat1940

Have bike, will travel
Reaction score
drop.io
thanks for reply. i may have misled you. i have a international license but urance on a suzuki bandit i own in england so i can get a current tax disc.so far NO english comp is willing to cover the bike as you need to be a resident in england for the previous 12 months. ive tried about a dozen mpanys so far all say the same thing, no cover unless youve been there the previous 12 months.

thanks for reply. i may have misled you. i have an international license but need insurance on a suzuki bandit i own in england so i can get a current tax disc.so far NO english company is willing to cover the bike as you need to be a resident in england for the previous 12 months. ive tried about a dozen companys so far all say the same thing, no cover unless youve been there the previous 12 months. hope you can help

EDIT: Ooooops! Sorry I posted twice. This is all a bit new to me.

EDIT, EDIT: He means new to him ...... wink, wink

Last edited:

cowauto

Stop raining on me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Is there any way you can get yourself insured through an Aussie insurance company and have overseas cover included on the policy?

I dunno if this'll work, just a thought...

Good luck!

H.

Wombat1940

Have bike, will travel
Reaction score
drop.io
Is there any way you can get yourself insured through an Aussie insurance company and have overseas cover included on the policy?

I dunno if this'll work, just a thought...

Good luck!

H.

Yes, but the real problem is getting the UK Tax Disk rather than the Insurance. Anyway we'll check it out. thanks

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
OK, so to outline the case:

You have an international driving licence.
You have a bike, with the registration documents in your name?
You are having issues getting insurance.
You can't get a tax disc without proving you have insurance.

I am really surprised you're having issues getting insurance to be honest. This 12 month residency rule is stupid! Have you tried bike specific insurance companies? Wicked Quotes, Caroline Nash, The Bike Insurer, etc could be able to help.

Another way around it is for you to 'sell' the bike to someone else (i.e get the documents in their name), get them to insure it for all riders (expensive though) and then they get a tax disc. You can then ride the bike. But you need to find a willing person to do this :D

Good luck!

racing_fan

Not so Junior Member
Reaction score
picasaweb.google.com
Alight, as a foreign national (not UK citizen) in the UK, who has both bike and car licenses, I believe I can clarify a few things...

International driving licenses dont give any advantages in the UK. ANY driving license is valid for a year from the time of entry (be it national or international from ANY country)... direct.gov.uk is the OFFICIAL uk government information resource..

Driving on licences from all other countries, and students on a foreign licence : Directgov - Motoring

The 12 month rule is NOT a law...companies may choose to do this at there own discretion....

As far as getting insured is concerned....try the comparison websites... confused.com and mcncompare. You will see options for 'International driving license' (an Australian license, weather international or not, is completely valid for this, but only for a year from the time of entry into the uk) and get quotes...buying on the internet will activate them immediately...and you can then get the tax disc....

racing_fan

Not so Junior Member
Reaction score
picasaweb.google.com
Just tried to get some quotes with an Australian license on expressinsurance.co.uk (I am with them for my fizzer)

I used this bike: SUZUKI Gsf bandit GSF1200 K1 1200cc

Got a price for about £320 for a year...This was third party only, with the bike not garaged overnight, and 35yr old single rider with 3yr Australian license....

Hope this helps....