Any advice for NH Motor Speedway Louden?

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm going to the Fishtail track school May 10th. I planned to take the FZ6 but I have the R6 now. But anyway, any advice on how to take that track?

I went up there 2 weekends ago to observe Penguin Racing School and saw the track. I saw what they call the "bowl" and wondering how to attack that. Doesn't look too bad from the bleachers but I'm guessing it's kind of a hairpin and very well cambered. How fast should I go through it? I guess I'll find out but some advice would be appreciated.

Also, I'm riding up (40 minutes mostly highway from my town). It's going to be 61F for the day so it'll be cold to get there at 7am checkin time. I plan to ride up and refuel before getting in the gate -- are the gas stations open that early?

I asked my wife to drive her car with me so I can bring a gas can if I need to and/or so she can carry any extra gear, etc.

Sounds like it will be a good time. They provide lunch but I'm guessing I better eat a good breakfast and sleep well the night before. I'll start hydrating Saturday in case it gets too hot. My first goal is just to learn a bunch; I'm not worried about going too fast until I've gotten used to things. I plan to keep things at 75% skill level to avoid any incidents.

I'm thinking about getting a trailer hitch for my wife's SUV next time.

Thanks,

Dennis

Dr.Moby

Reaction score
Visit site
sounds like a great day. keep us posted.

I got a hidden hitch for my Escape. Works great, easy to install. When needed, I rent a trailer from UHual or something- it gets the job done.

DrM

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
sounds like a great day. keep us posted.

I got a hidden hitch for my Escape. Works great, easy to install. When needed, I rent a trailer from UHual or something- it gets the job done.

DrM

That's exactly what I want to do is put a hitch and then when I need a trailer go to u-haul and rent a trailer for the day.

Thanks,

Dennis

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
turn 6 (the bowl) is a lot sharper than it looks from the bleachers, but it is also a lot more cambered, so you can get a good bit of carrying speed through there, but be carful on the throttle on the exit of the turn, it causes a lot of slowsides, so just be smooth.

Turn 2 gets very slick if it rains, but is very well behaved if dry.

Turn 3 is a lot scarier than it should be seeing as you come off the back straight directly towards cement jersey barriers, but stay smooth and you will be fine.

Watch the throttle coming out of turn 3 and up 4 which is known as highside hill for a reason...

I personally had a very hard time between turns 7 through 9 since it is completely blind and very easy to get lost where you are aiming...

the whole debacle of turn 11 and 12 which isd actually about 6 turns always get me exhausted just thinking about it, but take your time and you will be fien there too.

You have the right attitude where you are not focused on going fast or dragging knee, just work on being smooth and the speed will come. And ride in your comfort level, you have to ride home at the end of the day.

Track day folks there always do a follow the leader session for the first 1-2 sessions out, so pay attention to them and then later in the day do not be afraid to seek an instructor for some one on one time with the spots that you are not comfortable with.

There are also 2 gas stations within a mile of the track entrance and they are open very early, so fill up when you get there.

Also, in case it helps, this thread has a video from my track day so you can see the view from riding on the track.:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/23853-did-track-day-monday.html

Remember that this is one of the smallest and most technical track in the country, so respect it, or it can chew you up and spit you out.

(I may be familliar with that track, but not sure)

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Rob!

Great information. I'm going to take a closer look at your video when I get home for the day.

Sounds like I'll be able to fill up before going inside.

Dennis

BigJoeG

Reaction score
Visit site
Ditto on everything that Rob said. Especially the part about Turn #3. About 3/4 of the way thru the day I was getting fatigued and I swear I couldn't remember how to make that turn. I kept fixating on the barriers.

If you find that your concentration is beginning to fade, go back to the pits early and have something to drink.

Dr.Moby

Reaction score
Visit site
That's exactly what I want to do is put a hitch and then when I need a trailer go to u-haul and rent a trailer for the day.

Thanks,

Dennis

Just dont forget to buy and install the wiring harness for whatever hitch you buy. UHaul wont rent a trailer without proper lighting. I went with these guys, as they have great installation videos on youtube. Turn around was quick and the product works.

Trailer hitch, hitches and bike rack (800)298-8924

-DrM

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Just dont forget to buy and install the wiring harness for whatever hitch you buy. UHaul wont rent a trailer without proper lighting. I went with these guys, as they have great installation videos on youtube. Turn around was quick and the product works.

Trailer hitch, hitches and bike rack (800)298-8924

-DrM

You got it. I ordered yesterday and it shipped today. I'm getting a hitch and wire harness for ~$190 shipped.

Dennis