New Photo Comps? worth setting up or not?

Extra Photo Competitions...good idea or not?

• There should be a Modified Bike of the Month Competition

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • There should be a "Where has your bike been?" Competition every month

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • The Forum should run both of these comps alongside BOTM

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • Leave everything as it is, i hate change!

Votes: 10 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, ever since i have been on this forum, there has always been a quiet debate about BOTM.

Several members have expressed opinions that the BOTM comp, is more about "Scenery shot of the month", which in many ways, it is...

Set your bike up in a pretty spot, point a camera at it, and if it's a good enough shot, it may end up on the Calender, looking pretty on people's Toilet & Shed Walls! No problem with that...i think most would agree.

I have even recieved half angry PM's about this! That BOTM is not about the bike...

Well in response, maybe it's time to act....My thoughts are that we could set up a couple of other photo comp's with a different desired end result...to run alongside BOTM.

What about these 2 options..
1. Where has your Bike Been? As Fzme posted in another thread, this could be your FZ6 set up in a strange place, an unexpected place, a Unique place...A Bar, on the steps of a Church, sat amongst a row of Harley's! etc, etc...you get the drift.

2. A Modified Bike of the Month...a comp for all of us characters who have gone nuts on their trusty steeds, and submit their bike's entry with not just one photo, but a series of photo's, detailing their mods, etc.

Both the new comp's monthly winner would be decided on forum member votes as per BOTM!

Any other idea's can be tabled here as well.

:thumbup:

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I feel for you, its a no win situation imo..

A modded bike wins! - it only won because it was modded
A bike with nice scenery wins -it only won because of the scenery

the problem is as i see it, we are a specific site with bikes that are all genericaly the same (well 99%)

I just want to see a picture that is pleasing on the eye ..i dont want to be scrutinizing each pic for its benifits or faults.

The truth is that a clever angle or a nice scenic shot will win every time..the haters just need to use their imagination more

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
I feel for you, its a no win situation imo..

A modded bike wins! - it only won because it was modded
A bike with nice scenery wins -it only won because of the scenery

the problem is as i see it, we are a specific site with bikes that are all genericaly the same (well 99%)

I just want to see a picture that is pleasing on the eye ..i dont want to be scrutinizing each pic for its benifits or faults.

The truth is that a clever angle or a nice scenic shot will win every time..the haters just need to use their imagination more

Descent from the status quo isn't hate. It's a different opinion.

I like nice pictures too; who doesn't? The "B" in BOTM is for bike, not picture.

You don't want to look at each picture for its benefits or faults? Isn't that the entire point of BOTM voting?? To look at the entries and decide which BIKE is the best? If not, why vote?

You're right that the nicest scenery usually wins, but the best modded bike doesn't always win. Both these things can be fixed by breaking the contest up into two, more people without modded bikes can participate in a FZ6 photo contest than those that think they have a shot at winning BOTM.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
1. Where has your Bike Been? As Fzme posted in another thread, this could be your FZ6 set up in a strange place, an unexpected place, a Unique place...A Bar, on the steps of a Church, sat amongst a row of Harley's! etc, etc...you get the drift.

^^^^ This is "the Riding Game" & since you're asking for our .02....
one win a year? I think it's only fair to give the members who haven't won a shot......:scared:

and as far as the scenery part....well I will vote for a bike with pretty mountains in the back verses someones garage floor.

Last edited:

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like nice pictures too; who doesn't? The "B" in BOTM is for bike, not picture.

You don't want to look at each picture for its benefits or faults? Isn't that the entire point of BOTM voting?? To look at the entries and decide which BIKE is the best? If not, why vote?

ok so maybe i was a bit vague in my reasoning. "B" is for Bike - yes , but its location does help to make the overall picture ,do we all want to see each others bikes sat in their driveways/garages to keep things fair? ..i think it will get pretty monotonous .if i wanted to look at an FZ6 id go and look at mine..if i wanted to see an intersting pic containing an FZ6 i'd click on BOTM and since ive been a member ive seen std bikes, modded bikes, bikes with luggage, bikes without, nakeds, fazer fairings, full fairings, bikes in the day, bikes in the night, bikes in coulour and in B&W! At what point is the original format unfair.

your second point regarding benefits and faults..who cares that pic A has got an oily chain? and pic B got a fly on the headlight.. Are these the things that win and lose votes..ive been missing the point,when did this become a concourse competition.

i guess in my own mind ive been voting for POTM all this time.. as most voters probably have.

PS Sorry about the hater bit..i got nothing but love for you all :hug:

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
^^^^ This is "the Riding Game" & since you're asking for our .02....
one win a year? I think it's only fair to give the members who haven't won a shot......:scared:

and as far as the scenery part....well I will vote for a bike with pretty mountains in the back verses someones garage floor.

Well it's close to the riding game, i agree, good point.

As for only win win in a year, since when has anyone won BOTM twice in one year?

And re the pretty scenery shots...agreed, they are going to look lovely on a calender....

But this is bike forum, not a lovely vista forum, i think there should be some sort of comp celebrating the individuality, and hard work that has gone into some of our members bike's on this forum...

Whatever i say on this issue, i am going to be judged, cause i have a highly modified bike! I really only started the thread, out of enquiries i have had from other forum members...

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ok so maybe i was a bit vague in my reasoning. "B" is for Bike - yes , but its location does help to make the overall picture ,do we all want to see each others bikes sat in their driveways/garages to keep things fair? ..i think it will get pretty monotonous .if i wanted to look at an FZ6 id go and look at mine..if i wanted to see an intersting pic containing an FZ6 i'd click on BOTM

your second point regarding benefits and faults..who cares that pic A has got an oily chain? and pic B got a fly on the headlight.. Are these the things that win and lose votes..ive been missing the point,when did this become a concourse competition.

i guess in my own mind ive been voting for POTM all this time.. as most voters probably have.

BOTM has never been a concours competition....That's what this thread is half about though....some people obviously think such a comp should exist, according to feedback i have received...

Why cant we have both.....and we dont need a second calender! Just the glory of winning would be acknowledgement enough for most i reckon...

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
BOTM has never been a concours competition....That's what this thread is half about though....some people obviously think such a comp should exist, according to feedback i have received...

I think it would be a lot of work for someone. If this was to happen as an indipendant competition in its purest form i reckon you would need a series of detailed shots to make a fair jugement ..thats why i think we should keep things simple and fun .

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it would be a lot of work for someone. If this was to happen as an indipendant competition in its purest form i reckon you would need a series of detailed shots to make a fair jugement ..thats why i think we should keep things simple and fun .

Well, Maybe the modded bike of the month Competition, could be voted on by a panel of Senior Forum Members....I would be quite happy to manage such a comp...even if it's just to see in detail, some of the fabulous stuff, some Forum members have done to their bike.

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
ok so maybe i was a bit vague in my reasoning. "B" is for Bike - yes , but its location does help to make the overall picture ,do we all want to see each others bikes sat in their driveways/garages to keep things fair? ..i think it will get pretty monotonous .if i wanted to look at an FZ6 id go and look at mine..if i wanted to see an intersting pic containing an FZ6 i'd click on BOTM and since ive been a member ive seen std bikes, modded bikes, bikes with luggage, bikes without, nakeds, fazer fairings, full fairings, bikes in the day, bikes in the night, bikes in coulour and in B&W! At what point is the original format unfair.

PS Sorry about the hater bit..i got nothing but love for you all :hug:

I don't think anything is unfair. It's just that BOTM has sort of lost it's meaning when a pretty picture gets picked. I just think you're blending the two. Any bike changed from stock is a modded bike, and I'd be willing to bet most people change something. Some more than others, and it would be nice, if in a BOTM competition, the best modded bike, whether it's a fully dressed touring bike or a stripped down racer, should win.

And I don't care about details like oily chain or dirty fenders. It's not THAT serious.

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, Maybe the modded bike of the month Competition, could be voted on by a panel of Senior Forum Members....I would be quite happy to manage such a comp...even if it's just to see in detail, some of the fabulous stuff, some Forum members have done to their bike.

This is a great idea. Maybe former BOTM members and anyonw ith more than 2500 post can vote....something like that...or not...:don'tknow:

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the idea of having other competitions. Those that are addicted to modding their bikes would probably appreciate a way to "show off" their hard work. ;)
I think the BOTM competition is fine as is. Like mentioned before, most of us have the same bike, so the voting for BOTM ends up being an interesting shot, usually nice scenery, etc. I really see nothing wrong with this. What other criteria do we have? Nice bike, nice picture of the bike with...whatever. Or nice picture of a quirky angle of the bike. This is a good way to choose, IMO.
I would enjoy seeing the modded bikes, and seeing bikes in unusual places would be fun, too (although it is similar to the Riding Game). Why not add a couple new features to the forum? :D If you don't like it, then don't participate in those features. Pretty simple! :thumbup:

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
Its all in the wording mate.

Bike Of The Month
or
Photo Of The Month.

I prefer photo's from an adventure. The kind you take when you are 6 hours from home.
I agree guys who mod their bike should also be able to show it off but I don't really get off on photo's taken of a bike that's never ridden.

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Its all in the wording mate.

Bike Of The Month
or
Photo Of The Month.

I prefer photo's from an adventure. The kind you take when you are 6 hours from home.
I agree guys who mod their bike should also be able to show it off but I don't really get off on photo's taken of a bike that's never ridden.

I think that there is no-one on here that doesn't ride their bike, because they have modded the thing to the point, where the bike becomes an ornament!

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
I think that there is no-one on here that doesn't ride their bike, because they have modded the thing to the point, where the bike becomes an ornament!

Yeah poor choice or words on my part. Sorry, bout that. I spose I should have said I prefer photo's taken mid journey as opposed to photo's taken on the front lawn.
Unless of course its a really nice lawn!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah poor choice or words on my part. Sorry, bout that. I spose I should have said I prefer photo's taken mid journey as opposed to photo's taken on the front lawn.
Unless of course its a really nice lawn!

Lol! Well I am stuffed then, as most of my pics are taken on the front lawn...always more interested in riding than stopping for photo's when out riding!

Can't count the amount of times I have ridden past a nice spot for a photo, and thought I should stop, then I see the next corner...and I am like "bugger it".... Next time!

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
How about 'Shot of the month'
That way it could be a stock bike in a great setting,or a highly modded bike against a plain white background.

Its a can of worms thats for sure.
Over on the Fazer site they have a photo of the month contest and I got flamed to hell,because it didn't say it had to be your photo.
I assumed it was a best picture contest,so I found lots of nice Bird (feathered) :D pics posted them up and had loads of stick about breaching peoples copyright! :rolleyes: