Perfect Shifting

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Last weekend, quite by accident, I learned how to shift gears properly on my bike.

Having had an off-road style 125 as my first bike (and the TM of course) I'm used to having to manhandle the clutch to get the gears changed.

Imagine my surprise when I accidently shifted gears using only one finger on the lever and the tiniest roll-off on the gas. Perfection! I couldn't believe how smooth it was. I'm now obsessed with trying to do it perfectly every time. I don't always, but my ratio of good to bad is getting better evey ride.

Are all 'big' bikes like that or is the Fazer special?

Pazzo levers are definitely the next mod I'm doing.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with the Pazzo Levers as i want them badly, but as far as "Big" bikes shifting like that, I know many people that don't even use the clutch other than in 1st gear and some down shifting in the lower gears, if you pre-load (put pressure on the shifter) and slightly roll off the gas quickly it will release the pressure on the friction plates by itself and the bike will pop right into the next gear.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I agree with the Pazzo Levers as i want them badly, but as far as "Big" bikes shifting like that, I know many people that don't even use the clutch other than in 1st gear and some down shifting in the lower gears, if you pre-load (put pressure on the shifter) and slightly roll off the gas quickly it will release the pressure on the friction plates by itself and the bike will pop right into the next gear.

Hmm... maybe that's what's happening. I have learned that if I get too ham-fisted with it it can be very clunky. Invariably it's fine while I'm riding by myself, but when I have the wife on the back my shifting always sucks. Maybe I'm trying too hard to make it smooth.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm... maybe that's what's happening. I have learned that if I get too ham-fisted with it it can be very clunky. Invariably it's fine while I'm riding by myself, but when I have the wife on the back my shifting always sucks. Maybe I'm trying too hard to make it smooth.

I notice that when i have a passenger as well my shifting and braking gets crappy and i know it is because i am trying to hard...

4fun

Member #1360
Reaction score
Visit site
I notice that when i have a passenger as well my shifting and braking gets crappy and i know it is because i am trying to hard...

Same here, had my daughter on the back and thought i was going to make her crazy every time her head hit my back:eek:

Roboco

Reaction score
Visit site
Wait....there's actually a way to shift without the clunck? That means I've been shifting incorrectly the whole time. Hmmm

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I know many people that don't even use the clutch other than in 1st gear and some down shifting in the lower gears, if you pre-load (put pressure on the shifter) and slightly roll off the gas quickly it will release the pressure on the friction plates by itself and the bike will pop right into the next gear.

please don't try this at lower rpm's. it make an evil sound and doesn't feel good for the bike/tranny/etc.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
please don't try this at lower rpm's. it make an evil sound and doesn't feel good for the bike/tranny/etc.

That is for sure. But when done correctly it is really good. When on the gas the bike just seems to rocket as you shift, very cool!

H

HavBlue

1st gear clunk yup.... Beyond that is is very smooth because I ain't pulling that leaver until it hits 5K or more. Anything less and my Harley shifts better. The action on the stock lever requires very little pressure on mine but if I try the old pull it all the way in trick it don't like it.