Stock vs 530 conversion

crudux-cruo

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I want to put a 47 tooth gear on but I'm curious as to the 530 conversion.
Besides the width (added strength????), what's the major benefits that I would want to go this route?

Thanks

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I want to put a 47 tooth gear on but I'm curious as to the 530 conversion.
Besides the width (added strength????), what's the major benefits that I would want to go this route?

Thanks
I was under the impression the FZ6 comes with a 530 as stock... Did you mean 520 conversion? I could be wrong, but I bought a 17T sunstar front sprocket and it was listed for a 530 installation.

H

HavBlue

I was under the impression the FZ6 comes with a 530 as stock... Did you mean 520 conversion? I could be wrong, but I bought a 17T sunstar front sprocket and it was listed for a 530 installation.

Correct, the FZ6 uses a 530 chain. The R6 is different, 532.

Changing the rear sprocket from 46T to 47T will have very little effect as you are only going from 2.87:1 to 2.93:1. It's also a pain to change. Dropping the front to 15T will give you 3.06:1 and that makes a huge difference in low end performance while still offering a very solid top end at well above 100mph. You will however note you get to the mark a whole lot quicker.

poorwboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, my apologies.
I ment 520 conversion.

I dont see any reason why you should'nt, except if your chain and sprockets are in good condition now I would get the miles you can outta of it. When and if you do 520 conversion, make sure you get a chain that will hold up to a 600cc sport bike. Also if you regear it your spedometer and odometer will be off.:thumbup:

H

HavBlue

Also if you regear it your spedometer and odometer will be off.:thumbup:

This is meant to be a joke but let me know when a motorcycle speedometer or odometer get on as opposed to off. Yeah, they're all off....

Seriously, if there is a worry about accuracy spend the $100 and get a speedo healer.

H

HavBlue

What's in the number..

Chain sizing is in inches. The three digit number used to designate any specific chain size is based on what is known as the "rule of eights". The first digit is for chain pitch. This is the distance between the pins. The second and third digits combine for roller width, with a decimal point inserted between the second and third digits. And example of this would be the FZ6 530 chain which has a pitch of (5)=5/8" or (15.88mm) and a roller width of 3.0 /8" (9.52mm). So, regardless of who makes the chain, the dimensions will remain constant. A 520 chain still has a pitch of 5/8" however, the roller width is reduced down to 2.0 /8" (6.35mm) making it lighter by virtue of reduced mass. In my case I am not really worried about the reduced weight as smaller chains tend to wear faster. I will be switching to the 532 15/48 used on the R6. This will bring the ratio from 2.8:1 to 3.2:1. No doubt I will lose top end but getting there will be very impressive when compared to stock.

H

HavBlue

.Besides the width (added strength????), what's the major benefits that I would want to go this route?

Thanks

Folks, I am totally sorry I didn't respond to this when I first posted on this thread. If you take a 12" ruler any way you look at it it is still a 12" ruler. In terms relative to chains the same holds true. The pitch of the chain or width of the chain have very little to do with the strength of the chain nor does the length of a ruler have anything to do with the shear strength of that ruler. Typically DID and RK are the OEM "O" ring type chain manufacturers and the chain they use has a rated tensile strength.

Consider this, the FZ6 uses a 530 "O"ring type chain. The Regina 530 ORS2 chain is recommended for bikes up to 750cc and it has a tensile strength rating of 7,640 lbs. The Tsubaki 530 Omega "O"ring chain is recommended for bikes up to 1,000cc and has a tensile strength rating of 7,800lbs. So, why is it the RK KS series high performance 530 "O"ring chain is recommended for bikes of up to 400cc and it has a tensile strength of "8,000lbs."? Two words here folks "over kill" and they want to be quite certain that chain does not fail under the most severe of conditions.

When it comes to chains and sprockets there is a huge difference in product and durability so take the time to research the aspects of what you are buying and never assume pitch sizing has anything to do with strength.