Full or dust cover

Roboco

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone use a cover on their bike when parked outside? I'm looking for a cover but really dont know where to start. Suggestions please......

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine stays chained up in the garage. keeps the blood sucking leeches, (sorry I meant insurance company) happy.

H

HavBlue

Does anyone use a cover on their bike when parked outside? I'm looking for a cover but really don't know where to start. Suggestions please......

Mine never sit outside long enough to need one but I do have covers for them when they are in the barn. In my case both covers are weather resistant and they do have a soft upper liner. To me, the place to start is determining how much protection you want and from what you are protecting. You can get some real money wrapped up in a cover and to me that cover must have security which is why the good covers offer cable loops. I want to say I paid like $50 for mine and they work very well for my circumstances. Here's a pretty good heads up.

A Guide to Motorcycle Covers - Accessories & Gear - Motorcycle Cruiser Magazine

Roboco

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, maybe I dont need one. I live in Florida and ride the bike to work. It sits outside in the hot FL sun and I dont think this is too good for the seat and some of the other components. Is there anyone who has ever had a problem parking the bike outside in the summer all day every day?

H

HavBlue

Well, maybe I dont need one. I live in Florida and ride the bike to work. It sits outside in the hot FL sun and I dont think this is too good for the seat and some of the other components. Is there anyone who has ever had a problem parking the bike outside in the summer all day every day?

Well, to me there are two problems worth talking about here. The first is UV and the paint. The second is the heat and the length of time you want the seat cover to last. The heat and UV can cause paint fade over time even with the finest of waxes and polishes hence the use of dusters on high end or custom vehicle. The seat material can dry and weather crack over time which is also a good reason to have a duster.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i typically never cover my bike, i am honestly just too lazy. i will try to cover this one more since i did notice some fading of plastics (the black unpainted dash pieces) on my last bike.

H

HavBlue

Just out of curiosity what are you folks using for a wax base coat and what are you using for your seal coat? This can make a huge difference when it comes to protection from the elements.

S

sportrider

I cover my bike if it's going to be sitting in the garage for a while, if you do but a cover make sure you wash the bike good first!!! any dust or dirt on a painted surface can cause a scratch if the cover rubs it. if you wash the bike then cover it it's amazing how clean it stays.:thumbup:

H

HavBlue

I cover my bike if it's going to be sitting in the garage for a while, if you do but a cover make sure you wash the bike good first!!! any dust or dirt on a painted surface can cause a scratch if the cover rubs it. if you wash the bike then cover it it's amazing how clean it stays.:thumbup:

I couldn't agree more and to be honest, if I do cover mine I have fleece blankets that go over the bikes before the covers go on.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just out of curiosity what are you folks using for a wax base coat and what are you using for your seal coat? This can make a huge difference when it comes to protection from the elements.

i use either a honda polish type spray wash if i am going for a quick clean or i will use some "Real" auto wax on the painted parts if i have the time to wash it the correct way.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
My bike lives outside at home and in a climate controlled garage at work. How's that for backwards? Anywy, I have a Motrax outdoor cover that I put on the bike every night. It keeps the rain/dew/frost off and it also hides it a bit from any barsteward that might want to nick it.

Honestly, I'm not anal-retentive about keeping tiny scratches off it - if I were I wouldn't commute on it - so I don't bother with anything else. The cover is pretty soft on the top inside anyway.

ecurb

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Yamaha FZ6 Cover

I bought the Yamaha FZ6 cover when I got the bike. It really fits like a glove without a lot of extra fabric catching the breeze. It's water proof and soft lined on the inside. I think it cost a little over $100, but I think it's worth it. You can order it from the Yamaha website or from your Yamaha dealer. It also has some nice FZ6 labels on it. :)

Yamaha FZ6 Accessories, Yamaha FZ6 Bike Cover

View attachment 2207

Last edited:

teslas

Reaction score
Visit site
I no longer have a car port to park my bike under. I just picked up (yesterday) a new full bike cover - $39 at Cycle Gear.
Its called Guardian Covers. ITs water proof and has a bottom that is elastic.

Turns out that it is pouring out here, I checked the cover. IT does a great job keeping the water out. But the condensation is getting through so the bike is still all wet. OH well:confused:

Least thecover will keep the tree sap off and other things.

H

HavBlue

I no longer have a car port to park my bike under. I just picked up (yesterday) a new full bike cover - $39 at Cycle Gear.
Its called Guardian Covers. ITs water proof and has a bottom that is elastic.

Turns out that it is pouring out here, I checked the cover. IT does a great job keeping the water out. But the condensation is getting through so the bike is still all wet. OH well:confused:

Least the cover will keep the tree sap off and other things.

This is a common problem with inexpensive water proof covers as the material does not breath. Hands down Kimberly Clark makes the best material (Evo4) I have ever seen for a cover and I have had more than a few for cages. You can actually take a glass of water, cover it with the material and then flip it upside down only to find nothing leaks out. Now, if you touch the material while the glass is still upside down you will see air bubbles floating to the top of the glass. Yeah, it breaths that well. The covers made of this material used to run me like $350 for a mid-sized cage or small pick-up and they are custom fitted for that application. Be careful of that condensation as it will cause rust over time.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Hey Charlie - I have a Groit's Garage waxing/polishing kit I got for my birthday a few years ago. The system work like a charm and the cars and bike look great!

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com

The problem there is that your bike still gets wet in the rain, but it's going to take longer to dry out due to the cover. Which means more corrosion.

Fred

H

HavBlue

Hey Charlie - I have a Groit's Garage waxing/polishing kit I got for my birthday a few years ago. The system work like a charm and the cars and bike look great!

No doubt Pete. For those that don't know, Groit's is a professional level car care product often used by high end car buffs and the protection level offered by their products is clearly supportive of the costs. Professional level waxes and polishes are not cheap however, the amount of product used to complete the specific jobs are minimal by comparison to the typical generic products.

It is a fundamental necessity to first establish a quality base coat which will later be sealed with a top coat. Beyond this, normal polishing with a micro fiber towel and quality quick detailer will keep your investment looking awesome and the time required to keep it that way is minimal. Use of harsh soaps like "dish soap" is a common mistake. These high detergent products are designed to cut through grease and other substances which make them very hard on any painted finish. I would therefore recommend using a quality automotive soap which in some cases have wax polymers in the product.

Folks, I am anal about my bikes and their respective painted surfaces. This shows when people will come up to the bikes and ask how long I have had the new bike. They are often in disbelief when I tell them they are 4 years old. Four year old bikes often show signs of wear and weather damage. Professional care products will slow this down in a huge way. Covers and the material they are constructed from can either help you or hurt you as poor quality materials can and often do damage the painted surfaces in the form of what is known as "spider webbing" (fine circular scratches.) The one thing you will find to be a certain fact is this, the well cared for painted surface on your bike will be far easier to keep clean when the surfaces are appropriately cared for..........

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
Whatever esle you do, don't buy cheap PVC or similar covers. They are impervious to moisture, but in both directions. Condensation is a big problem. And remember, if you put it away wet under one of these it will stay wet

My cover wasn't expensive 20 quid ($40) but is breathable. I use it If I can't get the bike in the garage, which I use as a workshop (it really is a sh*t tip a lot of the time). But I also frequently use it as a dust cover when it is in the garage.