• Touring Windscreen

Votes: 14 41.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

feijoo69

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone,

with the buzz of a recent post about different short windscreens i became curious to find out what you guys like best short windscreen or touring windscreen?!

Having a touring windscreen does it make a lot of difference? Thank for your feedback in advance!

Feijoo69

:Sport:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Oh boy, this again....lol

Windscreen preference depends on several, individual factors that determine the type of screen you want/need.

- style/looks
- rider height
- rider comfort
- personal preference
- type of riding you do (commuting, weekend warrior, touring, etc)

So it's not really a "what's best, A or B" type of question IMHO. It really depends on what the individual wants from the windscreen. What others my love and swear by, others might hate.

My personal choice was more for style/looks than performance as I wanted a 'sportier' look to my FZ6 and was not overly concerned about airflow/comfort as I am a shorter rider (5' 8").

Last edited:

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 5'9" and find the touring screen better but not massively so.
Jury's still out on whether it was a good buy or not.

driver145

Reaction score
Visit site
I was wondering, does anyone make a double bubble screen that isn't taller than stock? I want the wind off my helmet (more on my shoulders), but do not wish to have the touring look.

H

HavBlue

I was wondering, does anyone make a double bubble screen that isn't taller than stock? I want the wind off my helmet (more on my shoulders), but do not wish to have the touring look.

I don't know that my Puig that I bought in like 2005 is any taller than the stock screen. Dead center on the bubble it may be slightly taller but that's it as the rest is shorter than the OEM screen. I do know that the bubble made a huge difference in helmet buffet while at speed.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

You guys are saying how much you like the PUIG windscreen because it's taller.....I really don't notice it being any taller. If it is, it ain't by much. But it is definately thinner than the stock. However, the windscreen does not bend or anything, it's very sturdy. But it's not optomicaly correct, there is some distortion for those who are planning to mount a camera on your tank.

H

HavBlue

You guys are saying how much you like the PUIG windscreen because it's taller.....I really don't notice it being any taller. If it is, it ain't by much. But it is definately thinner than the stock. However, the windscreen does not bend or anything, it's very sturdy. But it's not optomicaly correct, there is some distortion for those who are planning to mount a camera on your tank.

+1 and the tinted one on my bike is much darker at the bottom becoming clearer if you will about mid way up. The optic view dead center isn't too bad but go right or left off center and the optics are way distorted probably due to the crease from the bubble and it's curvature.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the way my light smoke Puig looks on my '07, but to be honest I'm not sure how much difference it really makes. I need to put the OEM one back on and see what the difference is. I rode to San Antonio and back yesterday (170 miles RT) and I still had a good amount of wind blast.

H

HavBlue

I like the way my light smoke Puig looks on my '07, but to be honest I'm not sure how much difference it really makes. I need to put the OEM one back on and see what the difference is. I rode to San Antonio and back yesterday (170 miles RT) and I still had a good amount of wind blast.

Pete, is the shape of the OEM screen the same as the Puig on the 07 models? In my case at anything above 70mph I'm tucked and on the super slab generally cruise around 7,200rpm in 6th for what is a very smooth, comfortable ride. In this position the airflow over the screen and either helmet is non-buffeting.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pete, is the shape of the OEM screen the same as the Puig on the 07 models? In my case at anything above 70mph I'm tucked and on the super slab generally cruise around 7,200rpm in 6th for what is a very smooth, comfortable ride. In this position the airflow over the screen and either helmet is non-buffeting.

No it is a bit different. The OME windscreen is flat. The Puig is a double bubble but it is not a pronounced as the 04 to 06 model. It is about 2 1/2 inches taller than the OEM windscreen. When I was crusing down the highway at 75 to 80 mph yeasterday, I was trying to feel where the wind brakes. I'm 6 foot and the wind seems to brake right at the base of my helmet. I was wearing earplugs so the noise isn't a factor. Now I do have the LSL Street bar so I am a bit more in the "pocket" than the OEM bar.

One of these days I'll put the OEM one back on to compare.

It is a nice windscreen and I get complements from all kinds of riders, Harley types to sport bike riders.

H

HavBlue

I have the Puig racing screen on my '07. I am 5'6". With the stock screen, the windblast would hit me right at my neck which generated plenty of turblence that bounced my head around. When I would turn my head for headchecks, I felt like the wind was trying to rip my helmet off. With the Puig screen, the windblast hits my helmet at the faceshield, and headchecks don't try to rip my helmet off. It was a dramatic improvement for me. :thumbup:

This is pretty close to what I have observed with the 04 as well.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have both Yammie clears, the stock and the tall screen. Here is what I've found:

Stock - @ 5'10", the wind hits me in the chest and the helmet is in the wide open air. There is more wind noise because of this and less head buffeting.

Tall - Wind hits just above my visor and rolls over the top of the helmet. The tall screen creates more of a vacuum behind it. Because of this, it's slightly quieter but the head buffeting is worse. It certainly deflects more wind, bugs and debris though. Tall also acts as a windsail. With higher winds, the tall screen tends to push the bike around a lot more so if it is windy, I try to stay out of open spaces and stick to wooded back roads where there is wind protection.

Conclusion: Both have pros and cons. Best to keep both around and use the stock for twisties, shorter rides and around town stuff, especially if you live in a place where it tends to be more windy. Put on the tall screen for long trips only where you want deflection of wind, bugs and debris as well as added rain protection should you get caught on the road.

I'm going to mod my stock screen with a custom paint job on the inside after hand painting a cool design I came up with.

As for the tall, I'm thinking maybe it should be vented at the bottom in some fashion to reduce the vacuum behind it. This is taking a lesson from the '07 & '08 FZ6 design.

Hope that helps in some fashion!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
very good write up, thanks for the comparison, keep me posted about the venting as i have the 07 and might consider a taller screen.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone have a picture of a Puig Touring windscreen? Can't quite figure out what those look like. I'm thinking of putting that or the racing screen on an 07.

clunk

Apprentice
Reaction score
Visit site
I know it's not an FZ6, but here's a good comparison of a Puig racing vs. touring screen ...

Racing vs Touring

(You might have to join their forum to see the pics)

Looks like they're both higher in the middle, but the touring carries the increased height to the sides while the racing comes back down w/ the double bubble look.

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had my Yamaha touring windscreen on for about 20 miles and took it off and put it back in the box it came in. Too much noise and buffeting. I would like to have a quieter ride thats for sure but I'll stick with the stocker for one more season unless I get some overtime one week.