Bike Won't Start

Roberto

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all, I recently purchased a 2004 FZ-6 with only 2700 miles on it. When I bought the bike it started fine. I got it home and unloaded it and it would turnover but would not fire. I tried pop starting the bike but I live in Missouri and it was about 15 deg so the bike was very cold. The battery has lost its charge now. I am sure its probably something simple, can anyone help?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all, I recently purchased a 2004 FZ-6 with only 2700 miles on it. When I bought the bike it started fine. I got it home and unloaded it and it would turnover but would not fire. I tried pop starting the bike but I live in Missouri and it was about 15 deg so the bike was very cold. The battery has lost its charge now. I am sure its probably something simple, can anyone help?

Being that cold I would guess that the battery was low to begin with and the super cold weather zapped it the rest of the way. Take it to Auto Zone and have them check it out for you. You could also get a trickle charger and try to get it back.

Good Luck!

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Being that cold I would guess that the battery was low to begin with and the super cold weather zapped it the rest of the way. Take it to Auto Zone and have them check it out for you. You could also get a trickle charger and try to get it back.

Good Luck!

That would be my suggestion as well. I haven't had any starting problems yet, but have noticed the bat getting weak. I have a battery tender installed, but haven't used it at all. I can see the need now to fully have the battery charged.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
if it was in a warm place when you bought it and stared warm then i would say charge up the battery. It takes more power to start a bike when it is very cold.

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Probably a silly question, but have you checked the cut out switch ? They're easy to knock when you're pushing it without knowing.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
You could try jump starting it with your car (some people warn against doing this...others swear by it). 15F is cold...if you can get it warm by moving it inside for a while that will certainly make the start easier (assuming nothing else is wrong).

I spent 20 minutes trying to push start a 20 year old GS500 the other night in really really cold weather (had not been started since early November)....the bike had a brand new battery in it but it needed to be pushed as well....she finally started caughing and then shortly thereafter roared to life. The bike now starts immediately w/ the electric starter.