SPOILER: Moto GP Rd1: Qatar - Results, race reports, and reactions!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, here is a couple of links to the full results sheet for the first round of Moto GP, Moto2, and the 125's...

I love the comments at the base of the page in the MCN forum thingo, in this one...
Qatar MotoGP: Valentino Rossi wins, Casey Stoner crashes - | Motorcycle Sport | MotoGP News | MotoGP Results | MCN

Stoners story!
Stoner laments costly error | The Official MotoGP Website

Results
Results & Statistics | The Official MotoGP Website

Official Moto GP site race report.
Rossi off to winning start in thrilling Qatar opener | The Official MotoGP Website

:thumbup:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
What a cracker of a race! Stoner was checking out before he crashed out.
Really wanted to see Nicky in third.
5th in his first GP race on a semi factory ride, Spies is a stud!
And Wolf, your favorite man Rossi won :Flip:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I knew you'd be happy, I can just imagine you jumping up off the sofa and punching the air when stoner crashed :BLAA:
Just a little bit.....

Would have preferred Rossi to have beaten him on the track though. Victory always tastes much sweeter then :cheer:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a little bit.....

Would have preferred Rossi to have beaten him on the track though. Victory always tastes much sweeter then :cheer:

If Casey had not of fallen off, Rossi would not of beaten him on the track...not at Qatar.

I am just itching for the next race to start now!

I loved the High Def broadcast as well...bout time Moto GP got with the program! Last year's 4/3 SD telecasts were frustrating to watch on a decent TV.

krushnuts

Where did I put my keys..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been living in my IQ2 bubble today, avoiding all news sources to keep my recording of the race "live" for me. Just watched it an man, what a cracker of a race!

Absolutely loved the close quarter passing and duelling over the last 4-5 laps, on the edge of me seat I was!

Shame Casey crashed out though!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great ride by Lornezo, a sign of maturity me thinks.:thumbup:

I'm sure Honda had NOS on those bikes. :D

Yes, Lorenzo rode a brilliant race, hang back just far enough for most of the race, looking after his tyres, and sore hand, before getting on it, near the end...great to watch.

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Praying to the god's of top end power that Spies & Hayden get something that equals the top end of that Repsol.... Hell of race though.

I'm betting that the doctor isn't going to run away with it this year. Spies and Hayden will podium within the next 4 races:thumbup:

Last edited:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Those support races were pretty spectacular too.

The power went out here about 3 hours before the 125's kicked off:eek:, and I was just gearing up at 1:30 AM to head down to Wolfman's place to watch the races (thanks for the offer mate:thumbup:)......I'm a sick man I know:BLAA:.

Bit peeved to see (or not see?) Stoner down with such a comanding lead and riding off into the sunset, but that's motorsports I guess. Aside from that though, the HD broadcast of all classes was magic to watch.:rockon::thumbup::cheer:

How long before a Spies podium do ya reckon?...lol.:rockon:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome race!!!

Here is an interesting bit of info (did not help him much lol):

Nobody in MotoGP has the Losail Circuit’s number better than Casey Stoner. The Australian rider has won the last three races at the Qatar track (read: has won half of all of the GP races at Qatar), and once again seems to be leading the field this year as Free Practice for the MotoGP opener has just concluded. Sitting down with a track diagram in hand, Stoner takes us through some of his notes on the track.
Stoner publicly states that he doesn’t really care for the night venue in Qatar, but we can surely guess the young rider enjoys taking to the track knowing that he’s the favorite to win Sunday’s night race. “We have always enjoyed great results in Qatar although the track isn’t one of my favourites as a rider. It was good that they changed the race from daytime to night because they’ve made it different to anything else – it’s interesting for the fans and it is good fun for us,” says Stoner.
A quick look at his notes shows the Australian rider is keenly aware of how important front-tire grip is when cornering and on the brakes at Losail. While Stoner leads the field in Qatar right now, time will tell if the likes of Rossi, Lorenzo, Pedrosa, and the rest of the field can keep the Australian from adding a 4th victory at Losail from his already impressive resume.

Casey-Stoner-Qatar-notes.jpg

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Could not believe Casey dropping it.

He had built a decent 2-3 sec lead very quickly, there was no reason for him to keep pushing that hard, just had to maintain gap.

Lorenzo had a stunning ride IMO considering he pretty much didn't do any pre season testing.

Very impressed with Spies, especially that bully passing move on Pedrobot. Please Yamaha sneak Tech 3 a full factory bike for him, and now.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very impressed with Spies, especially that bully passing move on Pedrobot. Please Yamaha sneak Tech 3 a full factory bike for him, and now.

Yes, the Spies pass was great... it was like he said, "Get out the way, this is how we overtake in Superbike racing!".

As for a full factory bike, if he gets one of those, Rossi would poison his water supply as well!

:eek:

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Please Yamaha sneak Tech 3 a full factory bike for him, and now.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more!! Give him a full on factory ride and the doctor will have a disease he can't cure...:sinister:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You have to earn a factory ride guys - you don't just get one given to you......

Spies will do well this year, but I don't think he'll get a podium.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You have to earn a factory ride guys - you don't just get one given to you......

Spies will do well this year, but I don't think he'll get a podium.

Lol.....Spies will be on the podium within 5 races!!!! maybe sooner! That's not an authouritive prediction, rather a hopeful one, but one that is not out of question....he was only a couple of seconds away from the podium on the weekend...he definitely has the pace.

As for earning a factory ride...i bet if Spies does real well, early in the season, then some good stuff will come his way...this year!