Had 1st MSF class yesterday

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I completed my first session (2.5 hours of class room time) yesterday night. I must say, it was boring. I can honestly say I didn't learn anything new last night. Probably because I've already read most of what is covered in the first part of the book on this forum, the DOT information booklet for my permit, or other websites.

I'm not trying to bash the program, as I can see how it would be very helpful for new riders or people that haven't scoured the internet reading anything they can get their hands on regarding motorcycles and riding. I'm just hoping that things pick up from here. I kept an open mind, and I can honestly say I was excited to go to the class yesterday! I just wish they didn't cover such basic things as "what are the handlebars, shift lever, front brake, rear brake, etc". Yesterday was definitely paced and designed for someone that has never ridden a motorized 2 wheel vehicle. This isn't a bad thing, but it does make for a boring class for those people that have.

I'm sure I'll pick up some great things, especially at the riding portion. At the very least, I'll get an insurance discount and my motorcycle license once I complete the class.

VegasRider, please tell me things get better from here!

Dr.Moby

Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW- its gets better once you get outside. a 125 or 250cc is easy to throw around and practicing skids and scraping the pegs is better on a bike that you dont own. They just have to make sure that you all have the same basic info with the classroom instruction. You arent likely to get out of 2nd gear during the pavement portion, but at least you get to play.

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
If you listen, you'll learn something every day.

One issue I had (having never been on a bike prior to the course) was the phaenomenon of counter steer. We never got going fast enough to actually experience it. The instructor kept yelling, "press and roll" and I could not get out of my head that he was telling me to steer the wrong way (I know I must sound like an idiot, but this is the truth). I had to corner him and have him explain it to me. He held the front wheel of my bike (a Suzuki 250 with a million dents) between his legs and had me push on the bars to note the way the bike dove in the direction of my push). It would still be a week later when I received my endorsement and got out on main roads by myself that I finally understood what he was talking about.

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW- its gets better once you get outside. a 125 or 250cc is easy to throw around and practicing skids and scraping the pegs is better on a bike that you dont own. They just have to make sure that you all have the same basic info with the classroom instruction. You arent likely to get out of 2nd gear during the pavement portion, but at least you get to play.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was expecting. I guess it just kinda surprised me at just how basic the classroom portion was. The information they covered is no doubt important, but it's so basic it's hard to believe that people in the room didn't already know it.

I am looking forward to riding a bike that I don't care about dropping!

Out of curiousity, for anyone that's taken the Experienced Rider Course, how is that? I'm not experienced yet, but I wouldn't mind taking a course sometime down the road that is tailored to people who already know how to use a clutch, start and stop a bike.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah the course can be tough for anyone familiar with a bike - it was for me. But there were people in the class that needed it. The riding part is where it gets fun :thumbup:

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
Not on the first day of classroom :D

One issue I had (having never been on a bike prior to the course) was the phaenomenon of counter steer. We never got going fast enough to actually experience it. The instructor kept yelling, "press and roll" and I could not get out of my head that he was telling me to steer the wrong way (I know I must sound like an idiot, but this is the truth). I had to corner him and have him explain it to me. He held the front wheel of my bike (a Suzuki 250 with a million dents) between his legs and had me push on the bars to note the way the bike dove in the direction of my push). It would still be a week later when I received my endorsement and got out on main roads by myself that I finally understood what he was talking about.

Yes, I have a feeling there will be some good stuff I'll pick up when I get on the bike with the RiderCoach there. I've still got an open mind, and I definitely understand why it's designed the way it is. I just wish there was a way that I didn't have to attend day 1 of classroom time.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Out of curiousity, for anyone that's taken the Experienced Rider Course, how is that? I'm not experienced yet, but I wouldn't mind taking a course sometime down the road that is tailored to people who already know how to use a clutch, start and stop a bike.

I haven't taken the Experienced course, but here's what my MSF instructor told me when I inquired about it:

"I dont mean to discourage you from the ERC but it is more acurate to think of it as the second day of the Basic course but on your own bike. Note the name Experienced Rider Course not Advanced Rider Course. You may want to consider something in the way of a track based training program with as focused as you seem to be on motorcycling skills."

I wasn't very experienced at all, and he was steering me away from it. From his description, the ERC sounds good if you take it right after the basic course, otherwise the skills you develop on the road will quickly surpass the skills you learn at the ERC. One of our astute instructors will probably be quick to correct me on this, but that's my take.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
It will get better Mancolt! Hang in there.

Keep in mind that the things they tell you in class you should keep in mind and try applying to the bike once you are on it.

You sound very well preparied so some of the stuff will not be new to you, but you should keep an open ear and mind to it.

Our ERC involves using ones own bike and perfroming a lot of slow speed control and cone work, that then extends inot higher speed cone work using some of the same cone setups that the police riders use. Day 2 afternoon is then taken to the streets for some riding.

I think one would best benefit from an ERC course after you've spent some time and hours in the saddle on your own bike first. I'd would recommend riding for at least one season first, then giving the ERC a try. I think you would get more out of it that way.

Good luck and have fun!

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, new to the forum!

I have my first class tonight, so excited also:scared:

I bet you will enjoy it!! I know I did!
The classroom does seem to move slowly, but with very necessary information! I had NEVER ridden any kind of motorcycle before, so it was a VERY helpful class from start to finish for me.
To the OP:
With all your data gathering prior to class, just consider yourself lucky that you won't have to study the book as thoroughly as I did!! :D
More than half the classmates I had were military, and had been riding for years, but needed the course to ride on base. They all said they learned something from the riding instruction.
Keep your open mind and good attitude about it, and you will enjoy yourself! :thumbup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I completed my first session (2.5 hours of class room time) yesterday night. I must say, it was boring. I can honestly say I didn't learn anything new last night. Probably because I've already read most of what is covered in the first part of the book on this forum, the DOT information booklet for my permit, or other websites.

I'm not trying to bash the program, as I can see how it would be very helpful for new riders or people that haven't scoured the internet reading anything they can get their hands on regarding motorcycles and riding. I'm just hoping that things pick up from here. I kept an open mind, and I can honestly say I was excited to go to the class yesterday! I just wish they didn't cover such basic things as "what are the handlebars, shift lever, front brake, rear brake, etc". Yesterday was definitely paced and designed for someone that has never ridden a motorized 2 wheel vehicle. This isn't a bad thing, but it does make for a boring class for those people that have.

I'm sure I'll pick up some great things, especially at the riding portion. At the very least, I'll get an insurance discount and my motorcycle license once I complete the class.

VegasRider, please tell me things get better from here!

Yes it does. I have to admit, the first part of the classroom is boring! That's why I prefer teaching the 2nd day of the classroom which covers Street Riding Strategies in which I can introduce & share some of my own real life experiences dealing with traffic that is not necessarily covered in the handbook, or actually give real life examples or scenarios that I have encountered what the handbook is trying to illustrate. These are the tips that will save your life, so pay attention!

However let me remind you that you are taking the BRC, which is a class intended for beginning riders so the materials that you may already know, many will not, so be patient. This will be the same for the riding portion, as they will cover from the very beginning asking where the controls are to taking baby steps to ride.

But like every class, we need strong riders such as yourself who may have prior or lots of riding experience. We depend on the strong riders to lead the group, so don't be surprised if the coaches are sending you out first to start the next exercise.

Well it's just a matter of how well the coaches are able to communicate with the riders so that they understand. You are correct, this is one of the areas that I see beginning riders having a very difficult time to understand.

You pretty much have to explain that you are not turning the handlebars like a tricycle, but the opposite by pressing forward on the handlebars in the direction you want to turn. Press & lean right to turn right. But this only works if you are going fast enough. If you go too slow, then yes, you would have to turn the handlebars like a tricycle or whenever you are making very slow tight turns on a motorcycle. For riders who will ride a sportbike with a more aggressive riding positions, I would tell them that it would be more of pressing down in the direction of the turn rather than forward to turn. That is why there is an offset weave that you travel down, so that you can reinforce what we are trying to explain.

As far as the ERC, my advice, take advantage of the discount that you will receive from you insurance company if they offer it. But it will not last forever, as they will be saying, what have you done for me lately? That's when you go take the ERC and submit them a new completion card and get your discount extended.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site

I took the Experience Rider Class (ERC) in May 2009. It was about 5 hours long and took place at a local airport tarmac. The class began with a short instruction phase and then we went outside and began working on exercises.

After completing and exercise or two, we would go back inside the airport building to reflect on the previous exercise and discuss the upcoming stuff.

The biggest lesson that I learned from the ERC was to look through a turn. Don't look where you are, instead, look where you want to go.

Another big point for me was to separate braking and steering inputs, (especially at lower speeds).

All in all, it was a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon. BTW, don't count on a MSF safety certificate doing anything to lower your insurance payment.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
As someone already said, you don't go very fast and perhaps stay in 2nd gear. In my class, second day, everyone came in to practice -- they did big laps around the parking lot at maybe 25-30mph. I was the only one in the center doing figure eights and stops/starts.

I did a little peg scraping too -- my point is: practice the tough stuff (going fast is easy) because that's the stuff that you get dinged on in the test.

Dennis

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
I had day two (riding!) yesterday...

I must say, it was MUCH better than the classroom portion. Overall, I'd say I enjoyed the day. I missed going on a ride with my friends because of the class, but still had a good time yesterday. It started off pretty slowly, just like the classroom portion. Probably about an hour or so before we were even allowed to ride. But once they let us ride, things were much more enjoyable!

Some of the exercises were great and I definitely learned some good stuff. I'm looking forward to next week and the (hopefully) more advanced stuff!

After seeing some people in my class ride, I now understand why the class is structured the way it is. There were 2 people that had never ridden a bike before, and a few more that looked like they never had. Even some of the people that said they had ridden for a year or more didn't look very experienced or comfortable on the bikes.

I rode a 200cc Dual Sport dirt bike because I was too tall for the other bikes. I'm impressed with the condition of the bikes, especially for a free class! I think they were only a year or 2 old. I had a good time with the dirt bike but damn was it uncomfortable. That seat is so narrow I think I could only fit 20% of my butt on it. When I hopped on my FZ6 with stock seat after class, it felt like I was sitting on a couch compared to the dirt bike!

I'm curious though, how difficult is the test portion, both the multiple choice and the riding part?

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
I had day two (riding!) yesterday...

I must say, it was MUCH better than the classroom portion. Overall, I'd say I enjoyed the day. I missed going on a ride with my friends because of the class, but still had a good time yesterday. It started off pretty slowly, just like the classroom portion. Probably about an hour or so before we were even allowed to ride. But once they let us ride, things were much more enjoyable!

Some of the exercises were great and I definitely learned some good stuff. I'm looking forward to next week and the (hopefully) more advanced stuff!

After seeing some people in my class ride, I now understand why the class is structured the way it is. There were 2 people that had never ridden a bike before, and a few more that looked like they never had. Even some of the people that said they had ridden for a year or more didn't look very experienced or comfortable on the bikes.

I rode a 200cc Dual Sport dirt bike because I was too tall for the other bikes. I'm impressed with the condition of the bikes, especially for a free class! I think they were only a year or 2 old. I had a good time with the dirt bike but damn was it uncomfortable. That seat is so narrow I think I could only fit 20% of my butt on it. When I hopped on my FZ6 with stock seat after class, it felt like I was sitting on a couch compared to the dirt bike!

I'm curious though, how difficult is the test portion, both the multiple choice and the riding part?
Multiple choice test is not really all that hard, just remember what you studied in the book. As for the road test, you have are will do everything that you'll be tested on, just make sure you remember smooth clutch and throttle in the figure 8 and stop with a smooth squeeze on the brake on the quick stop and you'll do fine.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I took this class late November last year. 2 days and both days we were riding and in the classroom.

I had a blast and I learned a lot.

I just went there yesterday to show them my bike. They're great people and were very pleased to see me back with a nice bike.

I inquired about the advanced class and I was given the same recommendation, ride for several months (6-8) on your own bike and take the advanced class. The instructor will push you, but not to the point of dropping your bike. At least that is what I wast told.

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
I passed the written portion even without you giving me the answers Vegas! :Flip:

But I did miss 1 question :(

Now I've just got to pass my riding portion on Sunday and I will be a licensed motorcycle driver in the state of PA! I'll finally be able to ride legally at night! :rockon:

On a side note, I have probably 10 - 12 friends with bikes... I will be the 2nd one I know of that has a license.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like your experience will be a good one for you and your friends, and hopefully you can encourage them to take it too! :thumbup: for passing the written!! :cheer::cheer: