QUICK-LOCK BAGS CONNECTION TANKBAG: my review

Gobs

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

So, go on for a "short" review of my new tankbag equiped with the Quick-Lock System from Bags Connection (SW-Motech)...
If a bit long, sorry...

I ordered the bag and the Quick-Lock mounts from Twisted-Throttle on the 1st of April and were delivered at my door by UPS on the... 5th! That's to say shipped within 4 days, from USA to Thailand! Incredible timing. I've never seen such a thing before... Hat down T-T + UPS!
Well. The bag that fits my needs is the model named "CITY": middle-sized, semi-rigid, 10 liters to 12 liters when expanded. 3 pockets around, 1 phone pocket on top, rain cover, red quality lining inside, sturdy fabric and very, very good finish and building. Well, it's a german thing, isn't it?..
It was firstly designed to fit BMW GS models that have a sharp rear down curved tank. So, the FZ6 having such a curved tank, at the moment to order, I guessed I could go for it...
Sale prices are:
- Bag (including "female" mount and hardware): 175 $
- Tank "male" gas cap mount (including hardware): 27.50 $

Note: tank "male" mounts are specific for several bikes/brands. The one fitting the FZ6 is the: Yamaha/Ducati/Victory 5 screws... because 5 screws are used to hold the cap to the tank. Bright, isn't it?

Bag and mounts as they come out of the box:

Zimage.biz
On the LHS the bag and its mount you have to fit at the right place by yourself under the bag! RHS the tank mount, a easy build up around the gas cap! Not a big work, just be patient and a bit accurate following the instructions (German and English).

Mount installed on the tank:

Zimage.biz
Four stock screws to remove and replace on the gas tank, more two small ones to maintain the "iron ring base" to the "resin hooked mount" or what I call "male" mount...
On the picture, it seems to protrude a lot, but it's not the case in flesh. it's about 12 to 15 mm high and follow the stock ring base more two "hooks" backward...
The resin seems to be light and "cheap" at touch. But in fact it appears to be strong, oil and petrol resistant, and friction resistant.

On the bike, the gascap mount and the bag underneath showing the "female" mount in place:

Zimage.biz
One may clearly see the "Quick-lock" system": the "hooks" of the "male" gascap mount come into the "female" bag mount, pushing the bag forward-down, then a sort of a (strong) pin actuated by a tiny rope in front of the bag lock it onto the tank: click... Am I clear here? Well, I hope so...
Furthermore, as this bag is supposed to fit many different tank shapes, the mount is NOT fitted in place. You have to do your own preview test on the tank BEFORE drilling the bottom of the tankbag! As the place of the gascap mount is fixed, you have only one way to adjust the bag to the tank by determining what is the best place for the bag mount under the bag... A little complicated maybe said like this, but not a big deal.
Here is THE trick:
***DON'T FIT THE BAG MOUNT BY DRILLING THE BOTTOM OF THE BAG AT RANDOM AT FIRST***
Do like this:
?1 Fit the gascap mount on the tank and tighten it in place with the screws,
?2 Then insert the bag mount WITHOUT THE BAG in the gascap mount on your tank. No need of the pin yet: it should make the job tougher later...
?3 Put the bag on your tank upon the bag mount in place at THE RIGHT PLACE you prefer by gently sliding the bag on its mount forward or backward,
?4 Prepare a pen ready to use nearby for a following need,
?5 When you've determined the RIGHT PLACE for the bag, dive your hand inside the bag and grab the bag mount sides with your fingers and thumb through the fabric, press strongly to hold them BOTH and take them off BOTH by pulling back-upward. Nothing strong, tough, heavy or difficult here: just do it peacefully...
If left handed, use your right hand to do this. If right handed, use your left hand. Because...
?6 Raise the set (bag + bag mount) alltogether in your hand and turn it over in front of you: you see the mount under the bottom of the bag. Then mark the bottom of the bag with the previous pen "in your good hand" through the 4 holes in the resin mount... Then you can "separate" the bag and the mount.
?7 Now you may drill the bottom of the bag to fit the bag mount and tighten as required the four 5mm bolts (small fingers required!) through mount and bag. The bag will fit the tank at THE RIGHT PLACE you previously choosed...
If something move during the handling... well, repeat!

The bag on the tank:

Zimage.biz
What a work, hey? But as everything ended well, and after screwing the "pin bolt" in place in front of the bag mount, you can "click" the bag on your bike! And you will feel glad, proud, happy... and even more, because it's absolutely PER-FECT!.
I can't have any complaint: the tank curves are well fitted by the bottom bag design. The rear "falling" part gently stick to and a bit around the tank. The bag doesn't "fly" on top of the tank as some smaller Bag's Connection tankbags (I don't like this aspect, but it's me!), but softly rests on the tank, the front end a bit raised to allow the Quick-Lock system working freely...

To unlock the bag and carry it away, just pull the tiny rope and raise the bag "back upward".

As you may guess, I'm very happy with my new "City" Bags Connection tank bag.
Look at more pics below in the "fitting-room"...

Cheers,
Gobs

Gobs

Reaction score
Visit site
Oooops! OK: thanks Drinky...

So, as said previously, here is a sort of a "fitting-room"...
No need of a lot of comments. Pics speaks by themselves...

Coming to the bike:

Zimage.biz
My Fazer being black with some aluminium parts, I think the bag colours (black and silver) fit very well. As well with my Top-Saddlery seat (black and silver)...

Ready to ride the bike:

Zimage.biz
The global bag design doesn't "hurt" the bike one. The rear bag end fits the curved tank and doesn't protrude "toward" your stomac... or "in the air". The front end stays away from my GPS mount as well from the device screen when installed.

Riding the bike:

Zimage.biz
One may notice the particular shape of this tankbag on this upper view. It is wider at the rear end and a bit "small" 15 cm (6") at the front one. This allows the bag to be installed on bikes with short handlebar clearance (see next pic)... Clocks and GPS device are well in sight...
Please, don't worry about the guy in the mirrors. It was only a passer-by... :confused:

Handlebar clearance:

Zimage.biz
Not a very good top view pic, but it allows to "understand" the handlebar clearance concern. Full turn, the clearance between my stock handlebar (with no raisers or back raisers and in a "touring" position) and bag sides is about 10 cm (4"). Gloved hands and wrists moves are not affected: no trouble to handle the bike at very low speed in city traffic or to manoeuver the bike on a "restricted" parking area for example...

Et voilà!
I hope this can be of some help here.
There are bigger tankbags from Bags Connection, as well as smaller ones, but I can't comment...
I confess they are expensive, but magnets and straps were for me my first concerns. This bag is installed or released in one blink in a non-intrusive way.

Happy? Yes, very much!

Cheers,
Gobs

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice review, little out of topic but.
What kind of screen do you have? What do you think about it comparing to the stock one.
Thank you

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
Excellent review, thanks:thumbup: I have the Day bag and find its just right for carrying a camera and a few other things for day trips ( guess that is why they call it a Day bag:D).
Could you post some photo's of the inside of the bag?? After your review I'm thinking of getting the larger bag for those longer trips. Thanks

Jerry

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
Is there a way for you to get of you on the bike with your hands on the bars as if riding it. I want to know if it would block your view of your gauges. Thanks, great review, I might want to get one of these, I was thinking about getting the joe rocket tank bag.

Gobs

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to all,

Hoshiko, the screen is a MRA Vario Touring-Screen. Great improvement vs stock one. I'm 6' 2" tall and it works good even with the spoiler down! I'm not an expert in "air flows" so I confess it's a bit "strange" for me this screen can be so efficient. You must try it to believe it, truly!
As it's a new add on my bike I expect to post a review here tomorrow or maybe on Sunday...

Jblk, Thanks. Today I just noticed I forgot to post pic of inside! :confused: Tomorrow I've to do the job! Right now it's night here and time to go to bed... ;)

Discgolfdude, don't worry at all: the bag doesn't block the view on the clocks. OK if I've a moment tomorrow I'll shot some pics as if sat with hands on bar...

Cheers to all,
Gobs

Gobs

Reaction score
Visit site
Inside the bag...
To give an idea of the size/volume, I throw my sun-glasses and a box of cigarettes with a lighter in the bag. Sorry for the non-smokers here...

10 liters expandable to 12
or
2.5 gallons expandable to 3

Cheers,
Gobs

Gobs

Reaction score
Visit site
View of clocks in sat riding position... No worries at all. The clocks are far forward the front of the bag! Nothing hiden.
And a view of the clearance between front of the bag and handlebar and clocks, with my GPS device fitted in place.
The "City" tankbag is a middle-size one. So it fits easily our FZ6 without any problem...

Oh! And I recently refilled my tank at a petrol station: what a pleasure!
Just a slight pull on the tiny rope, pull back upward and the bag is released. When finished, just lock the cap and put the bag in place in one click!
Brilliant!