Brake light/rear light mod?

PlasticPig

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone considered adding some more light to the tail of the FZ6.

I was riding back from Miami in a downpour yesterday evening and was extremely concerned about my visibility (how visible I was) particularly when braking (especially when there was a huge truck behind me).

Saw a couple of other bikes on the road, one was a chopper with almost no rear light and the guy just could not be seen, the other was an older bike but had high visibility rear lights and additional brake lights that really showed up well.

I am going to the local car accessories shop this week to see if I can get any inspriration on how to fit some additional lighting but wondered if anyone had already done something.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Done and done

- 30 LED Brake Bulb

- 2 additional LED brake 'pods' on either side of my license plate.

Boneman's "FAZED" web site - Mods: Rear LED Brake Light

DSCF1772.JPG

If you search around (this forum and the net), you will also find some really nice LED Brake Light license plate frames!

I also added LED turn signal strip lighting into the rear side pods to further enhance signal visibility from the rear and off angles.

Boneman's "FAZED" web site - Mods: Rear LED Amber Signal Strip Lighting

DSCF3246.JPG

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am constantly impressed with Boneman's bike, i have seen the rear lights before but they are always a treat :thumbup:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Last edited:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
also i have a friend who has integrated led tail/turn lights and after i told him you couldn't see them he bought a LED strip that goes on your helmet and acts just like a taillight (always on but brighter when you hit the brakes) not only is it more lights but it also puts some up higher making you appear "bigger" which im sure helps.

4fun

Member #1360
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the idea, hope you dont mind if i use the lights too. Hows that expression go, stealling an idea is the best form of flattery, something like that.:D:D

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Bone, any idea which of those LEDs will fit without having to pull the lens apart (through the original hole)? I'm assuming it's the 1157 base?
What do you think of the BA15 5 Watt bulb? Looks like it might fit right in.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I got this idea from Boneman (and even consulted with him on it). I added Hyperlites to the back, just like his. Then I decided to add a brake light modulator. The Hyperlites function as brake lights only, so the idea was, modulate the main brake light to catch a driver's attention and let the Hyperlites add more brake light.

Here's a video of my setup on Youtube:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7Jfu7gNYak[/ame]

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys, but I just want to replace the rear bulb with a bright LED that has a good output and is multidirectional. I really don't want to add any more rear lights. Can someone tell me which one will fit in the original lens without taking it apart?

Last edited:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Something I did on my last bike, which was quick, cheap, easy and effective was to add a third brake lite at the bottom of the number plate. Because I used a clear LED strip it's hardly visible when off but glows at night. Details here.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys, but I just want to replace the rear bulb with a bright LED that has a good output and is multidirectional. I really don't want to add any more rear lights. Can someone tell me which one will fit in the original lens without taking it apart?

I went through a couple of different LED bulbs before finding the one I am happy with...

The first bulb I got (middle one on photo) worked and lasted OK but just wasn't bright enough.

The second bulb I got was the left hand one. This was bright enough, but was unreliable. Would work fine the first few trips, then failed when turning ignition on. I had a pair so fitted second one, same happened, was supplied another pair in case it was a batch thing and same again.

Finally the one on the right, has been working great for some time now. I am paranoid about the visibility especially in bright sunlight but everyone that has followed me on bright days has said it is fine. Visually it appears to be similar in brightness to the standard bulb and fills the tail light brightly and evenly.

All fit into the lamp OK, the larger two are a little bit of a squeeze but do fit with a little jiggling.

Edit forgot to add link http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/380-led-360-degree-stop-tail-light-pair-c-613-p-1-pr-16500.html

Last edited:

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
^^Went that route. Can't argue with Halogen output on a 1157 base. Got one from the local bike shop, $12 from Candlepower (a reputable bulb manufacturer). Should be going on today.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
I went through a couple of different LED bulbs before finding the one I am happy with...

The first bulb I got (middle one on photo) worked and lasted OK but just wasn't bright enough.

The second bulb I got was the left hand one. This was bright enough, but was unreliable. Would work fine the first few trips, then failed when turning ignition on. I had a pair so fitted second one, same happened, was supplied another pair in case it was a batch thing and same again.

Finally the one on the right, has been working great for some time now. I am paranoid about the visibility especially in bright sunlight but everyone that has followed me on bright days has said it is fine. Visually it appears to be similar in brightness to the standard bulb and fills the tail light brightly and evenly.

All fit into the lamp OK, the larger two are a little bit of a squeeze but do fit with a little jiggling.

Edit forgot to add link 380 LED 360 Degree Stop Tail Light (PAIR) - LED bulbs for stop and tail, reverse, front and rear indicators, rear foglights - LED Exterior Bulbs 12V - Autobulbs Direct Ltd - Car Lights, Car Bulbs, Headlights, Wiper Blades & Xenon Bulbs

Bad news on this one, I have now gone back to the standard bulb, I noticed the other the day the light output down, so removed and tested, seems that sections of LEDs have dry joints, so squeezing the bulb illuminates a few more sometimes.

Have decided to give up on LED for the time being and see how long a standard incandescent bulb lasts, it can't be any worse. Good thing with the LED bulb was it was still working (sort of).

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
It's been a bit with the Halogen bulb and man that thing is bright. You should definitely give it a try.
The only downside is more draw and slightly slower response time. But when you hit the brake, there is no missing it. :eek:

As for heat, I have been keeping a close eye on it and have no problems thus far.

Last edited:

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to run the halogen bulb in my taillight on my Venture. I took it out after hearing comments from people following me that it looked like my brake light was on all the time. They really couldn't easily tell when I was hitting the brakes and when I wasn't by looking at the light. The difference between the taillight and brake light wasn't great enough to really be noticeable.