Tire slime and punctures.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, it finally happened. My first flat tire on a Yammy. I've had 4 Yammies now.

I've noticed a tendency for the BT015's and 016's to get star shaped holes in them a lot, from sticks I'm pretty sure. I've never had another tire do it.

This time 'cause I was getting down in tread anyhow, it got through. Was just getting on it and noticed a very spectacular wallowing from the rear of the bike, and knew the worst immediately. Kept going to the Delamere shops, to get some slime and put some air in.....and they don't have air:eek:.

So I call out my own personal RAA bloke (the old man) who comes to the rescue yet again, by bringing up a car tire with 100psi in it and a hose with tire fitting at each end. He picked me up a bottle of slime on the way.

Removed valve. Squeezed in some slime. Replaced valve. Inflated tire to 40 psi. Quick blat down the road and back to spread the slime. Geared up and rode home. Got to his place 45km of twisties later. Went inside for a cuppa, came out and put some more air in. It was down to 15psi. Rode the rest of the way home, and it was fine.

IMHO, slime isn't really that good. I could've got the same result from milky weetbix I reckon. It got me out of the shizz, but it was a soft squidgey ride for the last 10km to the oldman's place.

Having said that, I did actually go relatively hard through some nice bits before it got flat again, so it wasn't a complete loss.

Would I use it again to get me out of trouble? Ask me again after I clean up all the crap when I get the tire off.:( It was definitely easier than trailering it.:thumbup:

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
aussiejules had slime in his tyre for ages and it didnt go down,but he didnt ride it much either ,lol
I have used it with the same results as you.

BTW take it easy on the D road mate,a rider was killed there today.:(

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
aussiejules had slime in his tyre for ages and it didnt go down,but he didnt ride it much either ,lol
I have used it with the same results as you.

BTW take it easy on the D road mate,a rider was killed there today.:(

Yeah. I rolled up to the shop there at about 3-ish I guess and they were getting some reports from the CFS crews.

Last I heard, a chick in a 4WD was turning right into her driveway, and the bike tried to overtake.

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure if you can get this in Australia or not and I've never used it on a motorcycle but there is a sealer from a company here called Berryman. I used to live in a area with trees that had really big thorns (Mesquite) just about everyone used Berryman's Tire Seal-R. I used it on my lawn tractor and never had a flat, my property had about a dozen mesquite trees.

Berryman Tire Seal-R

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Kenma Australia: Performance Motorcycle Accessories, Cargol Turn & Go, The only way to fix a flat tyre in 30 seconds

Mike had his first puncture a few weeks ago. Bought this product - keeps it under his seat. Cost about $65 and you can buy spare gas cylinders. Most good bike shops have it.

Haven't had to use it yet. Here's a vid - in Spanish but you get the idea.

YouTube - Video Cargol

Motorcycle Products | Stop & Go International | Home of the Award Winning Pocket Tire Plugger is what I keep with me in the tailbag with a 12V Slime compressor. A bit more of a permanent fix. The compressor isn't that great though. Takes a long time to get the tire up to riding PSI. I might just go get a CO2 kit and park the Slime.

Glad it wasn't an off with that hole ozzie!

Thanks guys. Have seen the kits in shops and just thought they were overpriced shizz.

I never thought to look for a you tubby video. That beats the crud outta getting the Oldie running his butoomshk off for me. (Although chatting with the pretty young lass at the shops for an hour or so wasn't all that hard to take..lol.)

In my own defense though...lol...a place with fuel usually has air. Picture the look on my dial when I got off my bike and made the "no air" discovery.

I'll definitely go out and get a kit now.

On my first bike (the horrible Honda) I had around 7 flats in 1 year. That thing was a nail magnet...lol. I've had a front go dead flat in 20 seconds. I've had an instantaneous release of air on the rear. (no the tire folks...well...the tire too then) and I'm used to riding with a soft stock POS shock anyhow, so the discovery of the flat tire wasn't very much of a thrill for me. More like an, "Oh carp! Stupid freaking tire.....hmmm...hope it's the tire."

Then did the old....let's have another feel through this corner.....Brooom!....Yup...gotta be the tire....hang on, I'll see if it's weird in a straight line as well....Brooom!...Yup......can't be the shock? (repeat)...lol.:spank:

It actually didn't slow me down that much and I rolled into the Shop with around 15 psi.:eek:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i actually got a nail last weekend in my rear tire.. pulled it out and put in som "fix-a-flat" and it seemed to work fine.. bike has been sitting for a week so i'll have to check for a leak. any recomendations on a tire change?? if the tire isnt leaking air, can i keep it?? i figure i could get about 4k more miles out of the tire and would like to, but definitly want to be safe. thanks all

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i actually got a nail last weekend in my rear tire.. pulled it out and put in som "fix-a-flat" and it seemed to work fine.. bike has been sitting for a week so i'll have to check for a leak. any recomendations on a tire change?? if the tire isnt leaking air, can i keep it?? i figure i could get about 4k more miles out of the tire and would like to, but definitly want to be safe. thanks all

I guess it depends on the sort of riding you do. I found the tire flexed too much to keep the air in, and then it starts to wallow (unsafe). Also I like to go hard so a weak point is really to be avoided at all costs. My tire service provider, won't plug a tire though. He's raced bikes, speedway, and all sorts, and has been in the motorcycle tire business for 35 years. I guess I trust his judgment in the matter.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
well .. its been over a month and i have put maybe 500-600 more miles on the tire.. the fix-a-flat is holding up great.. i already have a new set of tires on the way to be put on next week sometime.. I still carry around one of those slime/airpump kits now as a just in case, but so far, fix-a-flat get 2 thuimbs up in my book.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Kenma Australia: Performance Motorcycle Accessories, Cargol Turn & Go, The only way to fix a flat tyre in 30 seconds

Mike had his first puncture a few weeks ago. Bought this product - keeps it under his seat. Cost about $65 and you can buy spare gas cylinders. Most good bike shops have it.

Haven't had to use it yet. Here's a vid - in Spanish but you get the idea.

YouTube - Video Cargol

Bought one of these this afternoon to go under my seat , saw one used 1st hand yesterday afternoon & straight away thought 'Yep i'll be buying one of them' :D Best $30 i've spent i reckon :thumbup: