Track day: Big Willow, April 3rd

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Track day: Big Willow, April 3rd (now with video and pics)

Cali Rider and I are confirmed for Big Willow on April 3rd if anyone is free in 2 weeks :BLAA:

Motoyard.com Motorcycle Track Days - April 3rd, 2010 @ Willow Springs - 2.5 Mile Road Course

RoadCourseLg.gif

:thumbup:

Last edited:

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you guys heading out 1 day before or the day of? I'd like to go the thing is I don't have a trailer nor a hitch. I have not been to track yet; would love to.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
I wake up very early and drive in the am :)

Can't help on the trailer, John has one that we put both our bikes on...

You can always rent a small Uhaul trailer and get a wheel chocks to mount in it (a friend had done that one day to join us).
Discounted Motorcycle Wheel Chocks

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
oh and btw, this is what happened last time I went to Big Willow:

You can see me 18 seconds into the video, and then DefyInertia @ 24'... then of course it's me at the end lol

Thanks to Oso2k for the raw video btw!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWc1jk8GIcg]YouTube - Willow Spring crash, May 2009[/ame]

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
that's me lol (3-4 other guys went down that day at that spot)... the rear came around me... either something on the track or I opened up too early (down hill hard coming out of this turn, so you have to open slowly :)).

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've decided I'm going too (but in the beginner category - I'm a track noob). Can one rent the uhaul trailor for two bikes? One of my friends wants to join in as well.

Any other advice, suggestions, would be appreciated. What time are you guys leaving L.A.?
Willow Springs is about 6 hrs away...

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Registered for Willow Springs - I'm officially in!
Just bought:
Hitch for my Subie

Wheel Chock 5.5"

Now I just have to get the hitch installed. U-haul has bike trailer and will install hitch.

Super Stoked :BLAA:

Last edited:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Too bad you can't Nate...

Just watched this 3 times in a row before bed:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REu6SkTbx6E&feature=related]YouTube - Willow Springs Instructional Video[/ame]

:D

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like I have the day off, so I'll likely ride up for support for the day. Weather should be awesome! Not nearly as hot as last time... I was sweating my b@lls off.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That stretch from turn 6 to turn 9 looks fast:rockon:. Would love to try that out.

Have a great (and safe) day out guys. Lots of pics and vid for us vouyers too...lol:D.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like I have the day off, so I'll likely ride up for support for the day. Weather should be awesome! Not nearly as hot as last time... I was sweating my b@lls off.

There are still open spots! You should get the Triumph in there in group C and go around at the speed your shoulder allows you to... You'd have so much fun :cheer:

That stretch from turn 6 to turn 9 looks fast:rockon:. Would love to try that out.

Have a great (and safe) day out guys. Lots of pics and vid for us vouyers too...lol:D.

Yeah Big Willow is a fast track... average around the track for a quick rider is 100mph... More like 90mph for me :D

Thanks man!

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
There are still open spots! You should get the Triumph in there in group C and go around at the speed your shoulder allows you to... You'd have so much fun :cheer:

I'd love to, but don't have full leathers yet and just put 2000 miles on my new tires going to SF and back. Can't afford to do this right now... I wish though. I guess I'll live vicariously through you guys still.:spank:

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Some Prep Questions...

Excellent. Got the hitch installed and the UHAUL trailer is reserved. I shaved of the feelers from the bike. Will remove the mirrors and tape up all the lights.

I have not removed my center + side stand - can I get away without removing the two?

Tire Pressure: I'm riding on Diablo Strada tires - what pressure should I inflate the front and rear to?

Anything else I should be asking :rolleyes:?

Cheers.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Some Prep Questions...

Shaved the feelers? You could have unscrewed them you know :D

You can ride with center-stand + side stand np, but I would at least remove the center stand as it may freak you out if you start dragging it mid-corner. If you don't think you're going to lean enough for that to happen on your first track day, then no problem to leave it on.

I don't know tire pressures for Pirellis, so I'd recommend you google it or call a Pirelli dealer (no sure if they 1-800 number would be able to help you) to ask him the question...

Make sure you bring plenty of water... Go over your gear thoroughly... gauntlet gloves is a must... your jacket + pants must zip together... don't forget the key to your FZ (lol it happens!!!)... easiest way to make sure you're covered is to print the "trackday check list" from this site (I think Defy covered it in the track-technique sub-forum somewhere) or others, and go through every item one by one...

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Some Prep Questions...

One more thing, about tire pressures, if you talk to a Pirelli rep, you may want to ask him the "warm recommended pressures"... what you want to know is the recommended pressure when the tires are warm, that way, you can check when you come off the track to make sure you're in the ball park... getting cold tire pressures is much less precise since you couldn't account for outside temperature, altitude, your type of riding etc...

However, if you don't want to mess with tire pressures too much and don't think you'll be pushing too hard, then cold recommended tire pressures should be enough... FWIW, for my first track days I used to set my Pilot Powers to the recommended cold 37psi front and rear and leave it that the whole day...

Last edited: