Maxxis Supermaxx SportsTouring

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I just got myself a set. Not had them long, so I can't comment on treadlife, but from looking around they seem to last quite a long time - definitely longer than the Dunlop Qualifier RR's which are down to the minimum in 3500 miles.

e5e0_1.JPG

I was looking at the Dunlop Roadsmarts, but the price difference was a killer - the Roadsmarts worked out at £220 including fitting. The Maxxis were £130. I was a bit worried by the Made in Taiwan part, but Maxxis sponsor the IOM TT and quite a few sportsbike riders seem to rate them. Wet grip is meant to be good, which'll be handy round here.

I've not really worn them in by the usual standards - 20 miles yesterday, about 40 miles today, but they grip pretty damn well. No problems at all - feel very similar to the Qualifiers. So if you are in the market for new tyres, want a decent tread life and are tempted by the low price tag of the Maxxis but worried about the level of grip, I'd say give them a go. I'm not a power ranger, but I don't dawdle either, and I'm well impressed so far. :thumbup:

http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=169940

Last edited:

FZ6Ray

Reaction score
www.beyondaudiosystems.com
Just thought I would comment that I have 11k miles on my Roadsmarts and still have quite a bit of tread on them. I'm not experiences enough to really comment on the grip while cornering hard, but I've been happy with them. Most of my riding is commutting, they've been great for that. Let us know how the Maxxis tires do for mileage when you get to that point.

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
One guy at the shop said he'd got 20,000 miles out of a set, so we'll see. I'll be sure to report back.

I think the main thing I was concerned about was how grippy a supposedly long-lasting touring tyre would be, especially when it's nearly £100 less than the Dunlops. But it certainly seemed grippy enough today as I was hooning about. Had to tell myself off at one point - 'slow down you nutter, these are brand new tyres and you took that bend at 90mph' :D

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't worry about break-in. Take 'em out, take a few turns to get some of the ick off and you're good to go. No need to go 100+ miles.