what do you use to put air in your tires?

thejuice

Reaction score
Visit site
if you don't own an air compressor and don't want to always make trips to the gas station, how else can you put air in your tires?

living in an apartment complex with no garage, i don't have a lot of room or a lot of funds to keep an air compressor on hand. and i hate having to run to the gas station every time my tire pressure is low.

any other tool/gadget out there that can fill this need?

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use this.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02875117000P?vName=Tools&cName=Air+Compressors+%26+Air+Tools&sName=Inflators

It's not an air compressor, just a tire inflator. It's maybe the size of a shoebox, and it does the job when I need a pound or two in my tires, and much easier than going to the gas station. If you don't have AC power available where you inflate your tires, I saw this. It's pricey, but portable.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00911586000P?vName=Tools&cName=Air+Compressors+%26+Air+Tools&sName=Inflators

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
Even though I have various compressors, I use a bicycle pump for the FZ6.

Compact and no power cord needed.

Just use a good quality gauge to re-check the pressure when you are done :thumbup:

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I use one of those small, emergency type air compressor/ inflators. The unit that I have either runs off of it's own internal rechargeable battery, or a 12 volt automotive electrical system via the cigarette lighter.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I personally use a scuba tank. With 3000 psi reduced down to about 130 psi, it fills tanks for years. Some tractor/farm supply stores sell smaller, cheaper, lower-capacity/pressure tanks that are very handy and can be filled at many service stations for little or nothing.

Last edited:

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
Track pump for a bicycle. And a calibrated pressure gauge to double check.

lifeline-GF-53P-med.jpg

kinderwood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the floor bike pump. I kinda like it better than electric. It gives you more control/makes it hard to overinflate. Also the needle doesn't jitter like crazy.

dantrigg

Reaction score
Visit site
if you don't own an air compressor and don't want to always make trips to the gas station, how else can you put air in your tires?

living in an apartment complex with no garage, i don't have a lot of room or a lot of funds to keep an air compressor on hand. and i hate having to run to the gas station every time my tire pressure is low.

any other tool/gadget out there that can fill this need?

I don't think you can get an air compressor much cheaper than this.
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have one of those 7 gallon portable air tanks and I have a Husky Brand compressor to fill it. I use a digital air gauge that I keep with me out on the road.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a small pancake compresser i bought at Wal-mart for $50.00 that is identical to this one sept its blue in color and will inflate my truck tire if need be.....(warning it F@cking LOUD ) while compressing air..... :BLAA: :rockon:

Last edited:

RedFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a very small electric air inflator that I bought from autozone, it fits perfectly under the seat and I got it for 10 bucks :thumbup:

vinpub

Reaction score
Visit site
and i hate having to run to the gas station every time my tire pressure is low.

Not sure why you would need the pump/compressor on a regular basis to avoid running to the gas station? Do you need to go to the station just for air? Does your tire pressure drop so often? Tire pressure should hold true for some time unless there is a problem with the tire.
And most gas stations in CA allow you to get free air if you get a fill up. I believe CA law requires all stations to provide water and air, most stations make it free for customers.
So if you check air every time or every other time you get the gas you should be able to get the air while you are at the gas station anyway.
Now carrying a portable compressor or a bike pump makes a lot of sense on road trips. But for daily commute, I would hardly consider using them even if I have them, since you are at the gas station every 200 miles or so anyway....
So get the tire checked if it frequently needs air.

thejuice

Reaction score
Visit site
ok, so i visited my local harbor freight to check out the $10.99 mini air compressor. as i was walking past all the larger compressors (i.e. 3hp, 10 gallon +), a thought popped into my head. what else can you do with an air compressor besides inflate tires? of course, on that same aisle were all the air hammers and nail guns, but more specifically, would i be able to get attachments to turn my air compressor into a power washer for my car?

as stated before, i live in an apartment with no garage, but when i ever get into a bigger place, would i be able to buy a larger sized air compressor and switch it into a power washer for my car/moto/deck/etc?

forgive my ignorance, as i am not handy with tools and i don't have a garage full of tools or even a garage.

any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Iethius

Who?
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if you can adapt them or not but I use a pressure washer only for my roof, deck, and outside walls, too easy to mess up a paint job with them in my opinion, (they only get off the big stuff anyway)Only on a work truck or something would I use pressure, my bikes and cars get hand washed. (unfortunately, and the kids are grown up and moved out so no slave labor.....)