Another idea for a top case?

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We've got a few ideas for touring but I ran across this one from a member named "skrid" over at another FZ1 site. My wife and I liked it so much that we're going to do this for both the FZ1 and the FZ6R. Granted, it is easier with two piece seats but can still be done with the single seat.

I also have a rear seat cowl that will be coming. It actually REPLACES the rear seat and offers a fair amount more storage there as well.

TS011.jpg

Strike003.jpg

Best part is, I get to use the backrest for myself! Here is the design that skrid came up with. I'm certain that I can just unstaple the cover and remove that with the foam, then put it back at any time. I may dress it up a bit and instead of using painted wood, make actual brackets for both bikes.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Now that's what i call "goodthinking"...what a great idea, pity you can only do it on a bike with seperate seats for rider, and pillion...

Most impressed, not only does it keep the weight of the top case more centralised, but it also looks a lot better...

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I found this one too Jamie. This was on a Ninja 250. ;) Can be done!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Finished product looks great, but what does the finished seat look like, without the Top Box plate on it?

What is comfort for the pillion like with the modified seat? especially as i take a pillion on my bike very regularly....

Once again though, love the ingenius thought that has gone into making the Top Box on the rear seat work!

wolfrace999

Reaction score
Visit site
Finished product looks great, but what does the finished seat look like, without the Top Box plate on it?

What is comfort for the pillion like with the modified seat? especially as i take a pillion on my bike very regularly....

Once again though, love the ingenius thought that has gone into making the Top Box on the rear seat work!

might be best to do this with a second seat then you can just swap seats when you need to carry a pillion

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hmmmmm.... I think FZ1inNH has an extra seat leftover from his FZ6.... Might be time to make a touring seat...

wanna make it a busted knuckle garage project? if you don't want to sell your seat i will buy another, this is a great idea.

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I do have the other seat Rob. It's a "started shaving" project so we can refine that and mount a case. I have several densities of foam here to work with too. We can make it any shape you want.

Jamie, thanks for the REP! :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I do have the other seat Rob. It's a "started shaving" project so we can refine that and mount a case. I have several densities of foam here to work with too. We can make it any shape you want.

Jamie, thanks for the REP! :D

Awesome, if it happens boys, we need pic's, and a how to...

Pretty please!

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sure! Thanks for the REP Rob! Let's get it done. Are you ordering one of the top cases from Sears?

I have plenty of wood and we can get bolts local once we determine the sizes.

How about a 24 of Sam Adams Noble Pils (or Summer if it is later) for that seat? We'll shape it and foam it. The only thing I don't have for it is the short staples to recover but I have the staple gun. Also, the rubber bumpers went on Dennis' TS seat when the '08 was traded. We can move yours over or you can grab a set from Ron Ayers.

Pics will be taken! Measurements and plans will be made. :D

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Guess what arrived today?

The Sears Top Cases came in. I didn't expect much for $42.00 but they surprised me with the construction, lock, and base. It's nowhere near a Shad or Givi but it will do for my requirements!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Guess what arrived today?

Same top case I have on my 6, except I paid like $80 from JC Whitney for it........

Still not a bad price though! I'd have gone to $80 for it. How much did the SW Motech rack cost?

I was considering a rack and leaving the seat alone but I sort of like it not hanging off the back. Getting a leg up and over will not be any different than my loaded tailbag. Plus, I, as the rider, get to use the backrest for me. ;)

You, on the other hand, still get to pack a bag to put in front of it or take a pillion with you for rides while still trunking. :D There's pros and cons for both....

Myself, I'm not taking riders on the bike. As a matter of fact, I have an Evotech exhaust hanger on the way so I can remove both pillion mounts.

Glad to see you've got one and it's a proven case! :D Any thoughts on what we can cover that damned HD cross with? :p

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site

Still not a bad price though! I'd have gone to $80 for it. How much did the SW Motech rack cost?

I was considering a rack and leaving the seat alone but I sort of like it not hanging off the back. Getting a leg up and over will not be any different than my loaded tailbag. Plus, I, as the rider, get to use the backrest for me. ;)

You, on the other hand, still get to pack a bag to put in front of it or take a pillion with you for rides while still trunking. :D There's pros and cons for both....

Myself, I'm not taking riders on the bike. As a matter of fact, I have an Evotech exhaust hanger on the way so I can remove both pillion mounts.

Glad to see you've got one and it's a proven case! :D Any thoughts on what we can cover that damned HD cross with? :p

Yeah, I vary rarely have anyone else on the bike, as much as I'd like to..... but it does still leave plenty of space for someone back there.

I think the rack ran somewhere in the $150 range, got it a while ago from Twisted Throttle.

I've also been working on adding LED lighting to it. I got a bunch of LED strips and put them in the red plastic trim piece and also replaced the red reflector with an LED light. Don't have it done yet. Got all the stuff last year, put the LEDs in and built a controller for it but need to wire it into the bike still.
DSC04055.jpg

They are divided into 3rds so I can make one the brake, and a left and right turn signal. I built the controller myself so I can make them respond how I want. Right now I have it set so they light about 40% brightness as soon as power is applied. The blinkers will blink alternating with the bikes blinkers, going between 100% on and 0% when blinking. The brake light flashes between 0% and 100% 4 times/second for 3 seconds when the brake is applied and then stays on steady as long as the brake is still applied. Right now it goes through the whole flash cycle no matter what, which is nice because if someones tailgating me, all I would have to do is tap the brake and it would flash, but I might change it so it aborts if the brake is released before it's done, idk. Have to see how it works once it's wired up on the bike.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Dam! That's some cool wiring! Does that trim piece come off easily to put the lights behind it? I'd like to do, at the very least, a 3rd eye brake light.

Nice work!!

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks. Yes. Two screws, one on each side where the front and rear trim prieces come together and one in the middle on the front (backrest side). Reflector just unscrews IIRC.

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site

I built the controller myself so I can make them respond how I want. Right now I have it set so they light about 40% brightness as soon as power is applied. The blinkers will blink alternating with the bikes blinkers, going between 100% on and 0% when blinking. The brake light flashes between 0% and 100% 4 times/second for 3 seconds when the brake is applied and then stays on steady as long as the brake is still applied.
Great job, that sounds awesome. Care to post the schematic of your controller?
Right now it goes through the whole flash cycle no matter what, which is nice because if someones tailgating me, all I would have to do is tap the brake and it would flash, but I might change it so it aborts if the brake is released before it's done, idk. Have to see how it works once it's wired up on the bike.
I would leave it as is. After all, there is no such thing as the guy behind you paying too much attention.

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site

Great job, that sounds awesome. Care to post the schematic of your controller?

I would leave it as is. After all, there is no such thing as the guy behind you paying too much attention.

Certainly. Did it all up in Visio before I got started. Was originally going to do it with a 555 timer but decided that was stupid, not as flexible and took up more board space than using the micro controller (Arduino Pro Mini 5V). Since I don't have a way to make PCBs, minimizing the amount of wiring I had to do on the board was essential, it still was a pain. Plus I can use the MCU to implement more stuff eventually. I have the board done but don't have any pictures.

FZ6LightingAdd-on-ExternalWiringSch.jpg

FZ6LightingAdd-on-ControlBoardSchem.jpg

FZ6LightingAdd-on-ControlBoardPhysi.jpg