Found some great ice cream in the middle of nowhere

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Last Saturday I was riding around Frederick and Point of Rocks, Maryland. I took my camera with me for some photo opportunities. It occurred to me that I should get a photo of my bike with a barn or a silo in the background. I made a few detours to my route until I didn't know where the heck I was going, but I didn't care. I spotted something that looked like a farm. The road was getting dirtier, so I figured I was getting close. I'm sure the farmers ran their tractors up and down these roads. Soon the distinct smell of cow manure filled my helmet.

Then, I found what I was looking for! The farm!

4412192726_9a40b27c7b_b.jpg

Not just any farm, this is a really neat place that serves delicious ice cream! I wish I had got a photo of my $3 black raspberry ice cream with homemade waffle cone, but I was too busy eating it.

They let you roam around the farm, so here's some pics:

4411423395_a677614b27_b.jpg

4412191524_d8584b8ebd_b.jpg

4411424221_cf339ec4f6_b.jpg

4411424325_37a5b43f12_b.jpg

4412192020_46cebdee75_b.jpg

4412192144_f906d65f58_b.jpg

4411424659_45b9dceb63_b.jpg

4411424881_70731a72e1_b.jpg

4412191182_7ea855b5d0.jpg

This place is called South Mountain Creamery @ 8303 Bolivar Road, Middletown, MD.
South Mountain Creamery - Home Delivery Milk & Meals in Maryland
Apparently, the land is protected from development in perpetuity under a conservation easement.
They sell other dairy products. Everything is homemade. They even deliver to the suburbs.

I never knew this place existed. It was kinda busy, I saw a bunch of families getting ice cream and checking out the cows, too.
I got a lot of smiles from the kids. It must have been my one-piece gray textile suit. Maybe they thought I was some cool sportbiker. More likely, they thought I looked kinda silly.

They let people feed the calves at certain times. The baby calves were so cute. (Should I go vegetarian? Naaaw....)
The farmers were really friendly and were curious about my heated gear (I had my wires sticking out of my suit.) They told me that they do get a lot of people on motorcycles, but only in the summer. I guess I was early.

Finding that ice cream stand/farm just reaffirmed some of the things I really like about riding on a motorcycle.
It's not just the independence and freedom of the open road, which is almost a cliché to say, but the way the motorcycle intimately connects you with your surroundings. It is a total sensory experience. You see more without any car chassis, the scents that pass by your helmet, the feel of the road that comes through the handlebars, the temperature variation from changes in elevation and weather, even the fact that the bike is an easy conversation starter with strangers.

There's no way I would've stumbled on this place in a car, held in by a steel cage.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome!!

It's not just the independence and freedom of the open road, which is almost a cliché to say, but the way the motorcycle intimately connects you with your surroundings. It is a total sensory experience. You see more without any car chassis, the scents that pass by your helmet, the feel of the road that comes through the handlebars, the temperature variation from changes in elevation and weather, even the fact that the bike is an easy conversation starter with strangers.

Very well said. Normally, I like to reword a great description but that does it great justice already.

I used to hate Alberta. It was just a big ugly prairie land with piss-poor weather most the year. Aimlessly riding around the countryside the past couple years now I feel a true love for this land and just so much more connected to it somehow. I never understood how people can actually feel connected to land until I got a motorcycle. Same goes for other places I've gone through as well, but I was especially impressed with how much I started to appreciate this prairie wilderness I had taken for granted all these many years.

One thing that particularly struck me was how close riding around made me feel to what it must have been like many years ago forging a railroad west across this endless land, starting up homesteads in the middle of nowhere, and trying to just start a new life in this place. One day I think I would like to ride a horse across western Canada. But maybe that's just impractical. :) Still another thing on the list though.

Last edited: